Setup & Software Discussions
2014 15" Macbook Pro Retina (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX [email protected]>TB3 (AKiTiO ...

2014 15" Macbook Pro Retina (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX [email protected]>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  5
  RSS

markbam
(@markbam)

Posted by: Antharsious

@mac_editor: Did you try with the DIY eGPU kit 1.35 from nando4?

It is confirmed to work on 650m dGPU MBPs and Aktio Node!

I got to the point where the program said I needed to switch back to MBR to actually use it. This didn't seem very future proof, so it was not something I wanted to continue.

Good to hear you had luck! It resolves the POST and detection issues for you?

Mid-2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch Touchbar (Radeon Pro 560)
- Akitio Node (Radeon 580)
- Aorus Gaming Box (Geforce GTX 1080)

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Interesting...

I don't have an eGPU setup yet. The post I was referring to is here...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mbpr-mid-2012-dedicated-geforce-650m-with-akitio-node-gtx-980ti-thunderbolt-1/#post-9109

Actually, Windows 10 has to be installed in MBR/BIOS mode to make the program work as nando4 did write...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/egpu-asus-gtx-1050ti-phoenix-macbook-pro-15-mid-2012-non-retina-not-working-windows-10/#post-9159

enjoy was successful by using setup 1.20 with Bootcamp. I don't know if he had Bootcamp installed in UEFI or MBR mode...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-15-mbpr-gt650m-gtx106010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win10-enjoy/#post-1117

Now I have to say, I don't really understand the stuff of these UEFI and MBR/BIOS mode partitions and how it is related to Bootcamp...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: Antharsious

@mac_editor: Did you try with the DIY eGPU kit 1.35 from nando4?

It is confirmed to work on 650m dGPU MBPs and Akitio Node!

From what I read there, it sounded like the setup did not have POST or detection issues like on the 750M. I have enquired about the same there. 

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
reptilianbrain
(@reptilianbrain)
Trusted Member

Would using Thunder2 help avoid all the trouble with NVidia & Win10 / simplify the whole setup?  

MBP 2013 750M + Akitio [email protected]GTX1080 (Zotac Mini)

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

UPDATE: Simplified the macOS implementation process details. Setup works successfully on macOS 10.12.5.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
openmindead
(@openmindead)

Many thanks for this implementation guide, it made me venture upon an order of Node and RX580. Can't wait to receive it!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
kingjans
(@kingjans)

Hi everyone. 

I have one of these 'lovely' mid 2014 MBPs with the 750M and have been following egpu.io for some months now. I was wondering if anybody has had the chance to try this particular model with High Sierra and some TB3 enclosure like the Node and a Polaris Card like the RX580. Being that it has been one of the more problematic Macs for eGPU I'm hesitant to take the plunge. 

I'm thinking about buying either the Node or the new Sonnet and an RX580 to improve graphics performance on an External FullHD Monitor in MacOS as well as Win 10. For Design/Photography as well as casual gaming.

Two questions:

Is it as Plug-and-Play as one would like? (also in WIN 10?)

From all the RX580 Cards available which ones are more compatible or recommended?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

thor203 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: kingjans

Is it as Plug-and-Play as one would like? (also in WIN 10?)

I haven't tried my current setup with High Sierra yet but I do expect it to work. It won't exactly be plug-and-play initially as stated by Apple in their release notes for supporting external graphics. In my case, the RX 480 4GB is currently plug-and-play in Windows 10, and I do not expect that to change.

From all the RX580 Cards available which ones are more compatible or recommended?

According to others on the forum, the new Apple eGPU kit includes a Sapphire 8GB RX 580.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

kingjans liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

After some testing with macOS High Sierra, I was unable to succeed in getting the eGPU working properly. Lets hope that changes in future betas. The GPU is detected fine, but video output is simply glitchy color lines that make the system unusable. Updated the original post with this information as well.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
kingjans
(@kingjans)

Thanks for the update! Please continue posting if anything changes!

ReplyQuote
openmindead
(@openmindead)

Hi, I have MacBookPro late 2013 (GT750m onboard of course) with latest macOS 10.12.5. Akitio Node + MSI RX 580 OC Armor (4GB Elpida memory). First I tried to set things up with Windows 10 x64 and fresh ADM Relive driver and everything worked like a charm, thanks to mac_editor, nothing to add to your awesome implementation guide. But then I tried to make it work under macOS. The graphics was detected but no acceleration as you noted in your guide. However the second run of the script had no effect (and consequent runs too).

What really made this card work with acceleration under macOS was modded rom with edited timings - I had set 1:1500 value to 1:1675, 1:1750, 1:2000, and 2:1500 value to 2:1675, 2:1750, 2:2000. It appeared to fix the acceleration problem as the next boot to macOS was quite fast and no a single glitchy pixel in the overall interface was detected. I hope this info would  help someone.

UPD: It seems that I was wrong. Next reboot - no acceleration. Can't figure out what else can I do to make it work...

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@openmindead: Is your wifi adapter enabled across boots? I once noticed that turning off wifi > shutdown > boot = no acceleration. Weird.

I just keep wifi on instead for ensuring acceleration, though I probably imagine that would be the case for you and everyone else. Just grasping at straws.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

There might still be hope for d750M notebooks on High Sierra. It is perhaps the card I have that is causing the glitches on the external display. @goalque has a working implementation on High Sierra on his 2015 AMD MBP with a reference Sapphire 480 8G. I would recommend those who can, test the Apple Dev Kit or this GPU with these macs on High Sierra.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Quick note about Final Cut Pro performance: In a recent project, I split my editing sessions such that on some occasions I worked with the eGPU, and on some, without it. I'm just trying to share my experience here. I'm  just a hobbyist editor and gamer (lol) and make anime music videos - which sometimes require quite a bit of power under the hood for long editing sessions.

I edit 1080p footage with tons of effects and transitions - so I do like to have exceptionally fast background rendering. My experience without the eGPU, was as always, decent. Background rendering seemed to keep up initially, but as I increased pace, I started noticing slightly degraded performance (drag + drop clip actions were jittery, for example).

Surprisingly, with the eGPU, my editing experience did not change too much. I still experienced the above issues, but larger background renders, long optical flow analyses, and exports were far quicker with external graphics connected. I think we can chalk this up to the odd priority given to the discrete NVIDIA chip over the AMD. The next thing to try is to force integrated-GPU only, and try FCP, after which I believe I'll be in the same boat as users with integrated-only macs trying to run FCP.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Some good news with macOS 10.12.6 B5:

I decided to test this preview separately on a fresh installation, given the changes to the AMD drivers in this update, and I'm pleased to note that the changes are positive from the eGPU perspective.

On 10.12.6 B5, the implementation steps are reduced further, at least for the RX 480:

• Hot-plug AMD external GPU.
  • Run automate-eGPU.sh 1.0.1.
  • Run enable-baffin-CUs.sh to unlock more compute units.
  • Reboot.

In AMD implementations, it was common to re-run the script for acceleration. This is no more the case, at least with my configuration. A single run + reboot works like a charm. For those having trouble accelerating AMD cards on macOS, I would suggest trying again on macOS 10.12.6.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

I had the opportunity to test High Sierra B2 Update 1 on a Late-2013 13" MBP with my existing external GPU setup. It did not work, unfortunately. The internal display was forever stuck trying to load the login screen onto the external display, and never managed to do so.

On another note, another user has confirmed that the Apple Dev Kit does not function on the Late-2013 15" MacBook Pro w/ 750M. All we can hope for, at the moment, is that this changes in future betas.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
mrtang42
(@mrtang42)

Posted by: mac_editor

I had the opportunity to test High Sierra B2 Update 1 on a Late-2013 13" MBP with my existing external GPU setup. It did not work, unfortunately. The internal display was forever stuck trying to load the login screen onto the external display, and never managed to do so.

On another note, another user has confirmed that the Apple Dev Kit does not function on the Late-2013 15" MacBook Pro w/ 750M. All we can hope for, at the moment, is that this changes in future betas.

Could you attach the link of the other users post? Thank you.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: mrtang42

Here you go:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/tb1-egpu-high-sierra/#post-13208

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
mrtang42
(@mrtang42)

Posted by: mrtang42

Here you go:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/tb1-egpu-high-sierra/#post-13208

Thank you so much. Comparing your AMD implementation and Nvidia implementation, I found AMD is much easier than Nvidia for our particular MACBOOK model. I really like it over the new MacBook Pro 2016 due to the design and the keyboard.  I only have an extra 1060 3g from my sold old desktop. rx480 is impossible to get at reasonable price right now. btw, have you tried this small gpu switch software called gfxcardstatus.app before? It can force Macos to use igpu or dgpu. It might play some rule here.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
openmindead
(@openmindead)

Today I tried High Sierra public beta and 10.12.6 beta 5. The latter has the same symptoms: eGPU works but no acceleration. HS beta could not boot with eGPU connected, if manually turn if off the login screen appears, but switching eGPU on again makes no effect - it does not work at all. I guess I need to disable dGPU somehow, at least it worked under Windows (using Device Manager) with earlier versions of AMD drivers when I began to set things up for the first time. I doubt that gfxcardstatus will help - it cannot switch to integrated only if an external display is connected.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: openmindead

Today I tried High Sierra public beta and 10.12.6 beta 5. The latter has the same symptoms: eGPU works but no acceleration. HS beta could not boot with eGPU connected, if manually turn if off the login screen appears, but switching eGPU on again makes no effect - it does not work at all. I guess I need to disable dGPU somehow, at least it worked under Windows (using Device Manager) with earlier versions of AMD drivers when I began to set things up for the first time. I doubt that gfxcardstatus will help - it cannot switch to integrated only if an external display is connected.

Could you try the steps listed here:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/thunder2-10-12-5-very-flaky-success-rate/#post-14801

The first step is not necessary. These steps are for 10.12.x.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
openmindead
(@openmindead)

No luck unfortunately. However Windows implementation continues to work flawlessly, and that's quite enough for me. I just have to warn Mac users: don't mess with MSI RX580 ArmorOC, it's just a waste of your time.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: openmindead

No luck unfortunately. However Windows implementation continues to work flawlessly, and that's quite enough for me. I just have to warn Mac users: don't mess with MSI RX580 ArmorOC, it's just a waste of your time.

Quite a surprise, because your setup is, in general, identical to mine. The differences are the mac model (but with the same dGPU) and the GPU version (its of the same edition too, just a 580 instead of a 480). Either of these differences is causing the issue. Question is, which is to blame...

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
nmzik
(@nmzik)
Eminent Member

Thank you for your guides, @mac_editor. I have exactly the same model as you have with gt750m. Im currently have Akitio Node with thunderbolt 3 2 adapter. Waiting for Rx 580/GTX1060 - Prices are still too high but mining is coming on these video cards to an end. I am only interesting in Windows gaming. No games for mac :(.  As you said, Nvidia card does not supported on this MacBook Pro model. Im actually prefer Nvidia card because games have some exclusive features for Nvidia users like for example Hairworks. Hairworks works bad on AMD cards. But what about Rx 580(480 in your case) on Windows? Does it work well? What happens if you suddenly disconnect thunderbolt cable? Crash? BSOD? Thanks.

MacBook Pro Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + Sapphire Pulse RX580@16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: nmzik

Thank you for your guides, @mac_editor. I have exactly the same model as you have with gt750m. Im currently have Akitio Node with thunderbolt 3 2 adapter. Waiting for Rx 580/GTX1060 - Prices are still too high but mining is coming on these video cards to an end. I am only interesting in Windows gaming. No games for mac :(.  As you said, Nvidia card does not supported on this MacBook Pro model. Im actually prefer Nvidia card because games have some exclusive features for Nvidia users like for example Hairworks. Hairworks works bad on AMD cards. But what about Rx 580(480 in your case) on Windows? Does it work well? What happens if you suddenly disconnect thunderbolt cable? Crash? BSOD? Thanks.

The 480 serves me sufficiently well on Windows and macOS. On Windows, disconnecting the thunderbolt cable simply reverts to using the internal display (AMD XConnect has a ejection mechanism). For games such as FIFARocket League, Need For Speed 2015, and the like, it does a fine job. For me Windows Store apps (such as Forza) aren't accelerated on the eGPU unless I completely disable the 750m from the device manager - even so the performance was hardly impressive on Horizon 3. I don't enable NVIDIA-dedicated features on the card, and haven't tested those setting with the card.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

nmzik liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

macOS 10.12.6 RX 480 is the most optimal AMD build for Mid-2014 15" w/ 750m for me so far and does not require running the script twice for acceleration. Updated guide to reflect changes.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

nmzik and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

macOS 10.12.6 RX 480 is the most optimal AMD build for Mid-2014 15" w/ 750m for me so far and does not require running the script twice for acceleration. Updated guide to reflect changes.

Thank you for the update @mac_editor. I run RX 480s in my Mac Pro tower and Apple fully blessed the Ellesmere GPUs in 10.12.6, no longer a need to modify system kexts. For eGPU use, your experience correlates with these improvements.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
mrtang42
(@mrtang42)

ANY NEW FIND IN 10.13 BETA 4? Thanks in advance. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

No changes with Beta 4 unfortunately. Will test more extensively.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

Great post mac_editor.

I have a MacbookPro Early 2013 (the one with the 650M). I've just upgraded from my Akitio Thunder2 + 1050ti (it worked great) to a RX580 but I've spent days trying to make it work on Bootcamp without any luck. The problem is Windows doesn't recognize the card no matter what I try. I'm very surprised reading that you didn't have to do anything to make it appear in Windows since your mac is pretty similar to mine (with the dGPU "problem") o_0

What kind of windows partition system are you using (MBR or EFI)?  Did you previously uninstalled NVidia drivers or so? My card works perfectly in macOS by the way.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@rmvz3: Using an ordinary bootcamp installation. I did not touch NVIDIA drivers. For Windows, make sure an external display is connected to your eGPU.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor Well, you are lucky. I’ve tried all I’ve seen in this forum to no avail. It seems my mac isn’t able to use this card. I wasted my money upgrading from my 1050ti to be able to use my new HTC Vive system and now I’m afraid I’ll need to spend even more to change to a 1070  🙁

Thank you for answering

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@rmvz3: Sad to hear that. Just wondering, which 580 are you exactly using?

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)

Hi @mac_editior. I just plugged in a mini-display port to HDMI port cable to my 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro for playing movies on external display with no egpu connected.

But I found that if I don't uninstall the automate-eGPU patch in the OS, NO audio signal will output from my thunderbolt(mini-display) port.

I wonder if this also happens to 2014 MacBook Pro. The HDMI port of your notebook still works fine? DTS and Dolby audio signal always mean a lot to me and I don't wanna keep run-and-uninstall the script from time to time.

mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS
2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: SheldonTung

Hi @mac_editior. I just plugged in a mini-display port to HDMI port cable to my 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro for playing movies on external display with no egpu connected.

But I found that if I don't uninstall the automate-eGPU patch in the OS, NO audio signal will output from my thunderbolt(mini-display) port.

I wonder if this also happens to 2014 MacBook Pro. The HDMI port of your notebook still works fine? DTS and Dolby audio signal always mean a lot to me and I don't wanna keep run-and-uninstall the script from time to time.

Can confirm that my HDMI port is working fine and is channeling sound as expected. I don't have a TB > HDMI adapter on me at the moment, so I cannot test via the TB ports.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
 of  5