Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.6/Win10 [mac_editor]^ // compared to NVidia build  

Page 4 / 4 Prev

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 9, 2017 4:08 pm  

With some free time on my hands, I thought I'd try accelerating the internal display in Windows with my eGPU (finally). While I really do not have much use for doing so, I thought it would be interesting to experience the difference of playing games on the external vs. internal display. Have updated the guide (OP) with my thoughts on this ;p

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
JataJata
(@jatajata)
October 20, 2017 11:58 pm  

Hi, I used the same set up with RX580, and I was successfully installed AMD drives. I disabled GT 750m. However, I don't think my eGPU is working. I tried several games, but fps is around 10. Plus I didn't see my fans are working. Please tell me what should I do now. Thank you so much.

By the way, I only use internal display.

ReplyQuote
(@sungjoon_park)
December 13, 2017 5:44 pm  

Hello good afternoon.
I have a macbook pro retina 15' 2014 mid with GT 750M (macOS Sierra 10.12.6).
For your help I am using very well with a combination of Sonnet eGFX550 and gtx 980 Ti.

I would be interested to use RX VEGA 64 (putting PSU of Enermax REVOLUTION SFX, 650 W) in my macbook pro.
Will it be possible? For that I have to deactivate GT750M? ( Https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/nvidia-workaround-for-high-sierra-egpu-acceleration/).
In macOS High Sierra will it work too?

and what does "Run the above script again, and restart" mean in its explanation above?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 6, 2018 11:12 pm  

Why do I not have the ability to edit the implementation guide anymore? Was hoping to make a few small changes 🙂

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 6, 2018 11:37 pm  

@mac_editor , looks like more than 90 days have passed since you created the post. Nevermind. The edits can still be made. Just do a copy-and-paste of your opening post, edit it, then re-post it requesting to have the opening page updated.  I'll then paste it in.

2013 15" Dell Latitude E6540 HD8790M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10
2013 15" HP ZBook 15 K610M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10
--
eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 7, 2018 1:20 am  
Posted by: nando4

@mac_editor , looks like more than 90 days have passed since you created the post. Nevermind. The edits can still be made. Just do a copy-and-paste of your opening post, edit it, then re-post it requesting to have the opening page updated.  I'll then paste it in.

Hmm.. ok I could do that later. I was wondering if you could remove this limitation and allow edits to "Implementation Guides" at least - I do understand the importance of freezing posts on forums (to maintain chronology and consistency) but implementation guides could be an acceptable exception 🙂

I wanted to make some formatting changes and redo the implementation process section for both OSes overall - if you were wondering haha..

Additionally - I'm not sure but maybe I'm not getting emails to notify me of replies to this thread - maybe because its old now? I do get emails about mentions - otherwise I might've missed your post here.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 29, 2018 5:47 am  

Have updated the original post - made it simpler and neater, with information on macOS High Sierra setup. 

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
(@noah_leon)
February 2, 2018 3:48 pm  

Thanks for all the effort. 

Have you tried with High Sierra 10.13.4 beta yet? I'm actively watching this thread to see if Apple fixes anything with the discrete 750m graphics card to make it play nice with the eGPU. I'm not counting on it, but then again yes I am. ;-P 

When you do get to 10.13.4 please let us know if the workaround is still needed!

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
February 2, 2018 8:10 pm  
Posted by: Noah Leon

Thanks for all the effort. 

Have you tried with High Sierra 10.13.4 beta yet? I'm actively watching this thread to see if Apple fixes anything with the discrete 750m graphics card to make it play nice with the eGPU. I'm not counting on it, but then again yes I am. ;-P 

When you do get to 10.13.4 please let us know if the workaround is still needed!

Please see the updated original post that mentions macOS High Sierra compatibility.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Sad136
(@sad136)
March 6, 2018 1:28 pm  

Is an external display a dead set requirement? I’m thinking of doing this for Windows 10 for a bit of gaming but would like to do so in the laptop display

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2013 i7-4960HQ / GT750m
Macbook Pro 13" Late 2016 i5-6360U / Iris 540

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
March 6, 2018 3:08 pm  

@sad136 it is not a necessity in Windows, but highly recommended. You can use the internal display with the eGPU - the original post has a snippet on that.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
charleszhao
(@charleszhao)
March 17, 2018 5:37 am  

is this way works on macOS 10.13.3? or only works on macOS 10.13.4 Beta 1?

i got this info as below after run the command sudo ./purge-nvda.sh:

This version of macOS will not support external AMD graphics.

If you wish to only suppress the dGPU - use the 'suppress-only' option.

Additionally, due to problems with kernel caching, it is recommended to

run this script in Single User Mode for this version of macOS.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
March 17, 2018 5:09 pm  

@charleszhao only 10.13.4 B1. The script checks macOS versions and therefore you got that message. If the script had run, your system would fail to boot and you would have to manually recover it.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
charleszhao
(@charleszhao)
March 18, 2018 9:07 am  

thanks lot for your info and suggestions, is there any way to download beta1 version of 10.13.4? i just only can find beta5 version in the App Store

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
March 18, 2018 6:04 pm  

There may be torrents available - can't say for sure though. My recommendation is to use macOS Sierra.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 6, 2018 5:36 am  

Guide updated for macOS 10.13.4. I still recommend macOS Sierra for eGPU use on this device. 

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
s0nguy
(@s0nguy)
April 13, 2018 1:11 pm  

I am about to embark on this build. I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything since I already wasted a TON of time trying to get the AORUS gaming box to work on my mid 2014 mbp with 750m. 

I am am buying the Node, with an RX580... tb3 to 2 Adapter.. etc.. I will follow the steps... someone just give me reassurance it will work ha! Will the full length fit in the Node for sure? 

Songuy

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 13, 2018 3:17 pm  
Posted by: s0nguy

I am about to embark on this build. I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything since I already wasted a TON of time trying to get the AORUS gaming box to work on my mid 2014 mbp with 750m. 

I am am buying the Node, with an RX580... tb3 to 2 Adapter.. etc.. I will follow the steps... someone just give me reassurance it will work ha! Will the full length fit in the Node for sure? 

Songuy

First off, I don't think anyone can "guarantee" that - after all the "guarantor" then has some responsibility right..

If you can return your purchase - why not give it a shot anyway? I have done tremendous research on NVIDIA eGPUs + macs with discrete GPUs (I was in the same boat) in the past and if you had read all that you could have saved yourself a bunch of trouble and started off with AMD to begin with 😉

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
s0nguy
(@s0nguy)
April 14, 2018 12:22 pm  

No guarantee is expected on my end! Ha.

thanks... yes I could have saved myself a lot of time had I researched a bit more. A couple of questions:

1. Will a full sized FX card fit in the Node?
2. Will it deliver enough power?

thanks
s0nguy

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 15, 2018 3:55 am  

No guarantee is expected on my end! Ha.

thanks... yes I could have saved myself a lot of time had I researched a bit more. A couple of questions:

1. Will a full sized FX card fit in the Node?
2. Will it deliver enough power?

thanks
s0nguy

1. You can find detailed posts and measurements on the forum. 
2. At 400W, most cards except the Vega architecture are fine in my opinion. Details also present somewhere else on the forums.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
s0nguy
(@s0nguy)
April 25, 2018 3:03 pm  

OK! I got this working... kinda

It works in Windows with an external display attached. I got 60+fps in Fortnite last night and Pubg... wow!

Now for the Mac side. Am I correct in saying that with OS 10.13.4, once you run the scripts it disables the onboard HDMI port? If so, is there any chance Apple will fix this in an upcoming release?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 25, 2018 5:34 pm  

OK! I got this working... kinda

It works in Windows with an external display attached. I got 60+fps in Fortnite last night and Pubg... wow!

Now for the Mac side. Am I correct in saying that with OS 10.13.4, once you run the scripts it disables the onboard HDMI port? If so, is there any chance Apple will fix this in an upcoming release?

It's probably not possible to "fix" it since it is essentially breaking intentionally (by disabling dGPU). An alternative to disabling the dGPU and accelerating the AMD eGPU would fix it, but that requires a ton of time to investigate, and frankly seems rather difficult.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
s0nguy
(@s0nguy)
April 25, 2018 8:44 pm  

Ok... well dilemma is this. I like to work in clamshell more. If I get the AKitio working in both Mac and Windows by disabling the HDMI, I will be fine at my home office since the AKitio is here. However, when i go to the main office I plug into an external monitor and will not have the Akitio.   Can I use a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter as a workaround?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 25, 2018 9:41 pm  

Ok... well dilemma is this. I like to work in clamshell more. If I get the AKitio working in both Mac and Windows by disabling the HDMI, I will be fine at my home office since the AKitio is here. However, when i go to the main office I plug into an external monitor and will not have the Akitio.   Can I use a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter as a workaround?

Good question. I haven’t ever tried it. Not sure how such an adapter works. Users typically uninstall purge-nvda when on the go, and reinstall when back to eGPU. No need to manage wrangler. 

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
s0nguy
(@s0nguy)
April 27, 2018 2:12 pm  

Got this working on Mac... trying to find the information that is supposed to be in OP about disabling internal display. Right now, if I close my Mac the screen stays on.   Can you shoot me a link to it? I have looked at the first post in this thread and it isnt there....

ALSO... just got this strange behavior. When trying to boot into Windows, it worked once. Now I get black screens on both internal and external monitors... with or without Akitio connected

thanks
s0nguy

ReplyQuote
s0nguy
(@s0nguy)
April 27, 2018 9:56 pm  

Anyone? I was able to get around the double black screens by plugging the Akitio in when I saw the blue Windows logo.... man... this whole thing is a little sketch! Hopefully one day it can all play nice! 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 28, 2018 2:03 am  

Anyone? I was able to get around the double black screens by plugging the Akitio in when I saw the blue Windows logo.... man... this whole thing is a little sketch! Hopefully one day it can all play nice! 

With purge-nvda active, when booting into Windows (with or without eGPU connected), the logo will come on for a second, then the screen will completely turn off until it reaches the login screen. eGPU use unaffected, but windows monitor settings are. That's been my experience. Without the script active, the only difference is that the boot sequence is visible and monitor settings are saved.

Glad you were able to get your setup up and running 🙂

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
(@krushev_thapa)
May 24, 2018 12:04 am  

Hi,
Could this guide work on my MacBook pro?

https://imgur.com/plLGMuk

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
honkono
(@honkono)
August 4, 2018 2:19 pm  

Hi great guide! I'm a total newbie so still some questions:
I'm planning to setup a macbook pro (late 2013, TB2) OS 10.12.6 with a Sonnet Breaklaway enclosure and AMD RX 570.
Im only intending to use this setup in Bootcamp/Windows 10 with an external screen, will it work? And will it work without any of the terminal tweaks?
At the Windows section of the guide I got the impression that it is pure Plug n play once you have installed the needed drivers?
Does it also include Bootcamp/Windows?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 4, 2018 2:59 pm  

@honkono I believe it will work as in the guide - but I cannot give guarantees ofc. Always purchase eGPU equipment that has a return period.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
3 Build Guides

ReplyQuote
honkono
(@honkono)
August 4, 2018 3:10 pm  
Posted by: mac_editor

@honkono I believe it will work as in the guide - but I cannot give guarantees ofc. Always purchase eGPU equipment that has a return period.

OK, thanks! I'm going to give it a try this fall sometime...

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4 Prev