2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 570 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 [tiagoamaro]
I just followed the steps for @mac_editor's `purge-wrangler.sh` script:
- Boot on recovery mode (while booting, when you see the Apple logo, hold CMD+R)
- Open the terminal
- Run `csrutil disable`
- Download the `purge-wrangler.sh` (used version 2.0.2 for this)
- Run the script with administrator permissions `sudo ./purge-wrangler.sh`
- macOS 10.13.4 native eGPU support: it works. I tried plugging the eGPU before the script and nothing happened. "System Information" informed that there was an Akitio Node connected, but macOS did nothing about it. The magic happened after I ran the script and rebooted:
- Hot plugin: works as expected, as macOS recommends to safely disconnect the eGPU through that top right button. When you plug the TB2 cable, it'll detect it and will start using it after it. No reboots/logout-login required.
I am planning this exact build, but I'm confused about the TB3>TB2 adapter-cable. Does the adapter work in both directions?
Sorry for the noob-question....
Hey @pearnold, sorry for the very late response! I didn't receive any notifications from the forum, so my bad! 🙇
So, TB3>TB2 cable works like this:
- TB2 cable's both sides are male connectors
- TB3>TB2 Adapter is TB2 female and TB3 male
With this setup, you convert one end of your TB2 cable to TB3 🙂
Very cool. Thank you for the information as I was having a really rough time with my Node. I assume you are running this off the native display, or are you using an external from the Node?
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
I can connect my eGPU, but if I disconnect I cannot connect again. Akitio node will shutdown immediately.
Have you ever had this problem?
Yes @zeta0083, I'm still on 10.13.4. Since I don't have a time machine backup (yet), I didn't risk to upgrade.
There are reports of people saying this works pretty fine with Mojave.
I'm interested to see how many PCIe lanes are being assigned to it. My RX 570 in a Node (directly over Thunderbolt 3) was only assigned x1 lane.