Mid-2015 15" MBP Iris Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.4 [tiagoamaro]  

RSS

tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
April 14, 2018 4:42 am  
System specs

- Macbook: Mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro with no dedicated GPU (Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB)
- macOS: 10.13.4

eGPU hardware

- GPU: Asus RX 570 4GB EXPEDITION OC EDITION GDDR5 256BITS
- eGPU enclosure: AKiTiO Node (TB3)
- Cable: TB3 -> TB2 adapter

Installation Steps

I just followed the steps for @mac_editor's `purge-wrangler.sh` script:

- Boot on recovery mode (while booting, when you see the Apple logo, hold CMD+R)
- Open the terminal
- Run `csrutil disable`
- Reboot
- Download the `purge-wrangler.sh` (used version 2.0.2 for this)
- Run the script with administrator permissions `sudo ./purge-wrangler.sh`

Benchmarks

- Valley benchmark:

- Starcraft 2 runs with high quality, 1900x1080 and custom settings set to medium quality shaders at an average of 35 FPS.

- Do not mirror displays: first I thought it didn't work, but I then noticed I was using a mirrored display. Make sure you disable it, otherwise macOS will still use the Intel GPU.
- Easy installation: The installation process was incredibly easy. @mac_editor 's script is very user friendly, even making sure that if you ran previous versions of it, it'll fix whatever it did before. I'm a developer myself, and I went through the shell script to see what it was doing. Was very impressed with the code quality 👏
- macOS 10.13.4 native eGPU support: it works. I tried plugging the eGPU before the script and nothing happened. "System Information" informed that there was an Akitio Node connected, but macOS did nothing about it. The magic happened after I ran the script and rebooted:

- Hot plugin: works as expected, as macOS recommends to safely disconnect the eGPU through that top right button. When you plug the TB2 cable, it'll detect it and will start using it after it. No reboots/logout-login required.

Before the eGPU, playing on this Mac Book was extremely limited, but finally I can enjoy gaming with a decent FPS!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
pearnold
(@pearnold)
May 27, 2018 2:28 pm  

Hi,
I am planning this exact build, but I'm confused about the TB3>TB2 adapter-cable. Does the adapter work in both directions?
Sorry for the noob-question....

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
September 19, 2018 9:57 pm  

Hey @pearnold, sorry for the very late response! I didn't receive any notifications from the forum, so my bad! 🙇

So, TB3>TB2 cable works like this:

• TB2 cable's both sides are male connectors
  • TB3>TB2 Adapter is TB2 female and TB3 male

With this setup, you convert one end of your TB2 cable to TB3 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ali Almutawakel
(@ali_almutawakel)
October 27, 2018 3:11 am  

Hey,
I'm going to be doing the same build. Have you experienced any problems so far? Can you enable SIP after you ran purge-wrangler.sh script?

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
November 1, 2018 7:05 pm  

@ali_almutawakel, I've kept SIP disabled.

ReplyQuote
Ceruunos
(@ceruunos)
November 1, 2018 7:15 pm  

Very cool.  Thank you for the information as I was having a really rough time with my Node.  I assume you are running this off the native display, or are you using an external from the Node?

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
November 1, 2018 8:18 pm  

Hello @ceruunos,

I'm using an external display with this setup. I wasn't able to make the Akitio feed my Macbook Pro's display.

ReplyQuote
Ceruunos
(@ceruunos)
November 1, 2018 8:31 pm  

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
zeta0083
(@zeta0083)
November 22, 2018 5:19 pm  

hello, may I ask something,
I have MBPR mid-2015 R9 M370X  + akitio node + ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX570-O4G

I can connect my eGPU, but if I disconnect I cannot connect again. Akitio node will shutdown immediately.
Have you ever had this problem?

MBPR mid-2015 R9 M370X + akitio node + ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX570-O4G

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
November 22, 2018 5:26 pm  

Hello @zeta0083,

No, my Akitio never shut down by itself. It could be an issue with its PSU.

ReplyQuote
zeta0083
(@zeta0083)
November 23, 2018 4:49 am  

Are you still in MaxOS 10.13.4? because I update 10.14.1.

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
November 23, 2018 11:30 am  

Yes @zeta0083, I'm still on 10.13.4. Since I don't have a time machine backup (yet), I didn't risk to upgrade.

There are reports of people saying this works pretty fine with Mojave.

ReplyQuote
zeta0083
(@zeta0083)
November 23, 2018 12:24 pm  

Thanks a lot @tiagoamaro!! I well try again. THNAKS.

ReplyQuote
yjchua
(@yjchua)
Eminent Member
November 26, 2018 4:21 am  

@tiagoamaro could you take a screenshot of the RX 570's details in the Graphics/Displays section of System Information in your Mac?

I'm interested to see how many PCIe lanes are being assigned to it. My RX 570 in a Node (directly over Thunderbolt 3) was only assigned x1 lane.

Late-2016 15" rMBP (2.9/16/1TB/460)
Akitio Node + Asus Expedition RX 570 OC, 4GB

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)
November 26, 2018 9:10 pm  

Hello @yjchua,

Mine has a x4 value on it:

ReplyQuote
yjchua
(@yjchua)
Eminent Member
November 27, 2018 2:41 am  
Posted by: tiagoamaro

Hello @yjchua,

Mine has a x4 value on it:

Damn (for me).

My Akitio Node probably has something wrong with it then.

Late-2016 15" rMBP (2.9/16/1TB/460)
Akitio Node + Asus Expedition RX 570 OC, 4GB

ReplyQuote