2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 970 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [Rycco]
Just wanna share my eGPU setup that I was able to get it running smoothly on both both MacOS and Windows 10 (bootcamp). Here are the components:
So, here's what I did to get it running on both OS without having to do the DSDT Override:
- Setup the hardware:
- Paperclip hack on the PSU so it can turn it on by itself
- Followed this tutorial for getting the connector into the PSU . Its really important to measure the voltage before plugin your Akitio. You don't wanna blow stuff up.
- Inserted the GPU on the akitio (gotta stay open), connect the PSU on both GPU and Akitio
- Basically I followed https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/ . There was only one issue where I had to boot on Recovery Mode, open terminal and disable something thru a command. This was explained on the script output, so was pretty easy
- After that, I rebooted (with the GPU + PSU on) and it was already working (oh yeah, I was so happy haha)
- Windows 10 Bootcamp
- So, actually I was really afraid of doing the DSDT override since it was a bunch of stuff (and I guess it required a usb drive, which I didn't have), so I decided to try without it and it worked 😀 I'm not sure that it has something to do with or not, but I think its worth mentioning this. For the dedicated AMD m370x GPU the macbook already had, I had installed a custom driver from bootcampdrivers.com. I did that before anything else. The eGPU steps on Windows were:
- Booted into Windows with the GPU + PSU turned on and connected
- On Device Manager, I could see the GPU without a driver
- Downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and installed
- It asked for reboot. After that, it was working 😀
Now, on both OSs all I need to do is turn stuff on and connect everything before turning the macbook on, and done its working. Only issue so far is when your macos goes sleep, it doesn't return (an error appear and it reboots). Guess that's a fair tradeoff.
Oh yeah, btw It was all on external monitor. I don't have interest on using it on my macbook display, but its definitely possible.[click image below for album]
Ok, after a few weeks using it, I can say:
- It works awesomely!
- Sometimes when booting into Windows 10, I get a blue screen of death. Then, what I need to do is to boot into macOs, login there (this is important). Shutdown and boot on Windows 10 again. 100% times it works.
- I've overclocked my GPU and I can play games in Epic settings pretty fine.
as far as I understood you are just using an external display, right? Have you tried both variants (MacOS and WIN10) with the internal one, only?
I am just interested to have this up and running on my internal display. Our configuration for the MB is the same (100 %). For the eGPU I am going for the AORUS Gaming Box (1070). Headless Ghost plus is also ordered.
Unfortunately I will just get the Box on Monday so I don't can test it right now but I am very interested in all the solutions provided here. 🙂
Thanks in advance!