mid-2017 13" MacBook Pro nTB + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [theitsage]  

theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
July 25, 2017 1:53 pm  

Apple refreshed its Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro lineup to include Kabylake processors. The one configuration that saw the biggest performance gain is the non Touch Bar 13" MBP. It now comes with a 2.3GHz i5-7360U. In a recent review, notebookcheck found this i5-7360U slightly faster than the i7-7500U in a lot of competing ultrabooks.

From my experience with the late-2016 13" non Touch Bar MacBook Pro, eGPU was very easy to implement. Using Thunderbolt 3 eGPU in Windows 10 with it was possible even before the enclosure firmware update to support "External GPU Supported: No" hosts. It's a little bit easier with the mid-2017 iteration in that I did not need to disable the PCIe Root for the iSight camera at all.

Windows 10 boot up is very slow with eGPU connected though. eGPU works everytime but I watched Windows logo spinning for 3 minutes to get to Login screen. This change may be with Windows 10 1607.

I'm using the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port closest to the Display hinge/ESC key. Internal display eGPU acceleration works very well and so does charging with the Mantiz Venus. Audio is the only thing malfunctioning atm. I will have to look into the fix for that in the forum later and update this post. These are some quick benchmarks in Nvidia Optimus internal display mode.

Edited: 10 months  ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 9, 2017 10:53 am  

Do you have an issue with no audio? I had that too and its an easy fix (see my implementation guide).

I too find Windows boot very slow, I have to boot with eGPU connected, tried booting and then plugging when choosing OS but had issues running games.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 9, 2017 1:53 pm  

I had audio issue but it was an easy fix. As reported in the forums and your experience with your implementation, simply go to Device Manager to disable then re-enable the Audio Device got it working. 

The 2017 13" Macbook pro is much easier than 15" to set up with eGPU boxes. I've tried it with several enclosures and there's no issues. The latest is the Gigabyte AORUS 1070 Gaming Box.

Edited: 10 months  ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 9, 2017 3:42 pm  

Thats great to hear! I'm not sure whether I should bother upgrading to a ti83 chip enclosure and us it in macOS too or just stick to W10 and gaming only... the Aorus looks pretty decent next to the MacBook, did you try using it without the crazy boot screen thing you are using, so just booting bootcamp normally?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote