2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Win10 [itsage] // MBR vs GPT comparison  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@joevt3 Are there bidirectional DisplayPort to USB-C cables you're aware of other than the Moshi one? I've looked but came up empty.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage I could not find any other. $50 for the Moshi cable might be steep, but it's quality is good enough for 5K (DisplayPort 1.4) and it has a 1.5m length.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
schmaexx
(@schmaexx)

But is there really any electrics in this particular cable? AFAIK DP Alt-mode is just 4/8 pins of the USB-C port repurposed for video transfer. So they should work either way, whether DP-out is USB-C and DP-in is regular DP port, or if DP-out is DP port (on a graphics card) and DP-in is USB-C. The chips within the monitor and the graphics card should do the lane switching, am I right?

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: schmaexx

But is there really any electrics in this particular cable? AFAIK DP Alt-mode is just 4/8 pins of the USB-C port repurposed for video transfer. So they should work either way, whether DP-out is USB-C and DP-in is regular DP port, or if DP-out is DP port (on a graphics card) and DP-in is USB-C. The chips within the monitor and the graphics card should do the lane switching, am I right?

The VESA DisplayPort Alt Mode for USB Type-C Standard Feature Summary shows a reversible USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I don't know how manufacturer's screw that up to make a cable that is "not bi-directional".

The ZenScreen MB16AC requires about 8W over USB-C, so a USB-C to DisplayPort cable won't work. You'll need to use a Sunix UPD2018 or Delock 89582 or Thunderbolt 3 add-in card to get the required power over USB-C plus DisplayPort from a graphics card.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

schmaexx and T430up liked
ReplyQuote
Charlie
(@charlie_1)

Disabling PCIE #10 and #9 did not work for me to solve error 12. 

2017 13” intel tb MBP 3.1GHz + razer core + AMD RX 580

ReplyQuote
 of  3