Mid 2017 13" TouchBar MacBook Pro + RX 580@32Gbps-TB3 (Zotac AMP BOX Mini) + Win10 [theitsage]  

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 20, 2018 12:56 am  

System specs:

Mid 2017 13" TouchBar MacBook Pro - i5-7267U/Iris Plus Graphics 650 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Zotac AMP BOX Mini + Radeon RX 580 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

@eightarmedpet this one is for you after seeing your struggles with getting AMD eGPU going in Bootcamp. I got a 2017 TB MBP and performed a clean installation of Windows 10 1709. I followed the Bootcamp eGPU setup guide and got it to work on first try. One of the finer details specific to this model is to make sure you use the left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to the TAB key.

Once I installed rEFInd and copied apple_set_os.efi into it, the boot up process is very reliable. No need to do delay hot-plug at Windows circle dots. Make sure you disable the right-side Thunderbolt 3 controller - PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18.

As can be seen above, the 2017 MacBook Pros have Large Memory allocation by default. It helps with Nvidia cards but not always the case with AMD cards. AIDA64 and HWiNFO64 show the RX 580 eGPU run through the x4 PCIe TB3 controller.

Benchmarks:

These Unigine benchmarks were ran with the 13" internal display.

Comments:

The TouchBar 13" MacBook Pro is definitely tricker to resolve error 12 with an AMD eGPU. It's managable once you convert it into the non-TB by disabling the Thunderbolt 3 PCIe connection to the right side (which is 2 lanes anyway). Here's the Radeon Overview screen caps with Freesync active when connected to a compatible monitor.

I know many people are hesitant to use a custom boot manager. In my opinion it's a nice improvement over Apple's own. At the moment, Bootcamp software cannot detect APFS volume so if your default boot is into Windows, you would have to hold down OPTION key to select macOS volume. rEFInd shows you all bootable options at every boot up.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

61 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member
March 20, 2018 1:09 pm  

@theitsage

For the non-TB 13" 2017 MBP, is rEFInd still necessary with to resolve error 12 with an AMD GPU?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 20, 2018 1:14 pm  

@nombrescreeno You don't need [rEFInd & apple_set_os.efi] for integrated GPU only Macs. It is very useful during boot up so that you don't have to time the hot-plug at Windows circle dots. In the Non-TB, you can simply disable the PCI Express Root Port to the iSight camera to resolve error 12.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
March 20, 2018 1:19 pm  

Wow! Thanks for this! I am super tempted to pull my machines apart again and give this one more go... last time I tried I had issues with apple_set_os or rEFInd messing with my LG Ultrafine display - I was using an external USB with all the gubbins on and when it booted my external screen never came on - something to do with resource management?

I'm itching to get my 580 working in both macOS and W10, and gutted I sold on my 570 ITX now prices have doubled. 

I am no longer using my 13" for work is won't be risking my day rate if I meddle with it and break it so may be tempted to instal in the local EFI folder and see if that changes anything, along with a custom theme so it doesn't look hideous (errr... why has no one done a custom eGPU theme yet?).

I'm still trying to hold out for my ideal SFF high end enclosure, not a chance Thor is happening, Core is tempting but the review on this site makes me worry it'll be too noisy compared to my Sonnet. Asus looks tempting, as does this Zotac and grabbing the best next gen ITX card Nvidia offer. Wish I'd held on to my ITX cards now (570 and 1060).

Oh and, my work around for Bootcamp not detecting APFS volumes is...

macOS for work/most the time, when I want to game in W10 restart holding down option and select W10 with delated plugging, all good. Chicken dinner. When I want to reboot to macOS I actually just shut W10 down using the start menu (not Bootcamp assistant or anything) and when I power back on boot priority hasn't changed so I go straight to macOS (which is nice).

Thanks again!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 20, 2018 1:34 pm  

@eightarmedpet I hope you'll get a Radeon eGPU going for both macOS and Windows soon. The RX 580 is the sweet spot imo and why Apple chose it for the Dev Kit in the first place.

We'd love to have a custom theme for rEFInd! It doesn't bother me much but it can certainly use improvement. If you already have a working Bootcamp, here are a couple of quick steps to test out the procedure rather than start fresh:

• Run DDU to uninstall all AMD and Nvidia drivers
  • Disable PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 in Device Manager
  • Delay hot-plug RX 580 eGPU to the left TB3 port closest to the TAB key

At this point, Microsoft Display Adapter should appear in Device Manager alongside the iGPU. There will be a yellow triangle with exclaimation mark for error 31 because no drivers could be installed automatically. Simply proceed to download and install the latest Radeon drivers. If all goes well, your next boot into Windows will show a notification that AMD XConnect is enabled.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
March 20, 2018 1:46 pm  

@itsage thanks again, I'll give it another go soon (off on holiday soon though).

I too think the 580 is the sweet spot, especially for 13" MBPs... if all goes to plan will I be able to accelerate the TB3 display the same way Nvidia cards do (ie is that behaviour down to Windows OS or the Drivers supplied by GPU manufacturers?).

Reg the disabling, maybe I am missing something here - do I need to disable then reboot (keeping it disabled) or anything?

I did manage to get a W10 mini ITX build with TB3 to power the 5K display, but sadly had no idea how to pipe the GPU power through the mobo to its TB3 port so it was iGPU powered and useless for gaming.

Oh, and if I get it to work, I'll 100% be creating a custom theme, not a chance im using the default... might be able to do an eGPU.io on too!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 20, 2018 1:55 pm  

Yes, reboot following DDU then another reboot following PCIe Port #9 - 9D18 disabling. I'm not exactly sure how Apple managed DisplayPort transmission within the TB3 controller. I would imagine it remains working the way you have been able to with Nvidia eGPU in Windows.

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member
March 20, 2018 2:14 pm  

@theitsage

So just to confirm - I don't need rEFInd with my non-TB MBP. Just plug in the GPU at the Windows circle dots, then when in Windows, if i get an error 12, I can disable the PCI Express Root Port to the iSight camera and it should work?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 20, 2018 2:18 pm  

That's correct. Here are a couple of my build guides with the 2017 non-TB MacBook Pro + RX 580 and RX Vega 56 eGPU in Bootcamp.

https://egpu.io/build-guides/?table_filter =""2017 13-inch Macbook Pro " AMD Win theitsage"#search

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
March 22, 2018 7:47 am  

@itsage I am very jealous of the GPU's you have on hand for all your set ups...

I'm defo going to give my AMD card another go following this guide, thinking about it I might test my 5K with the my 1070 and rEFInd to see how it handles things first...

edit: I think I may have found the problem with my LG 5K Display when using apple_setos-efi ...  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-tb3-port-underperformance-16xxmibs-instead-of-22xxmibs-under-macos-or-windowsapple_set_os-efi/

edit 2: Quick test with apple_setos on USB stick - macOS boots fine but LG 5K stays black (but makes sounds) in Windows... looks like the bandwidth problem is scuppering my chances of ever having an AMD card working in my set up.

---

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
March 30, 2018 10:18 am  

Has got me past error 12! Only problem now is I have no sound and the usual enable/disable speakers isnt working...

Edit: Disabling that port appears to be what is killing my sound. Although also having issues with installing the drivers as the install kills BT and Wifi half way through - something to do with not having the port enabled?

Edit2: Re enabled to install drivers, rebooted, error 12, thats cool, knew that, disabled again, rebooted, still error 12? Wifi and sound are currently working though...

Edit3: Tried some more rebooting and back to good ol' error 12... the only difference being I had no error 12 when the drivers were not properly installed, which leads me to believe it's something to do with them? DO drivers effect resources/allocation in the same way apple_set_os does?

---

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
April 16, 2018 12:58 pm  

I'm going to give this another bloody go... might even risk a new Bootcamp instal. I want one eGPU for both OS!

---

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
June 18, 2018 3:12 pm  

Ok, slow day at work so have managed ot get my head round getting rEFInd installed... where do I put apple_set_os in the rEFInd file structure?

Also, didn't manage to get the custom theme I made to work - mentioned that in its thread.

Screen Shot 2018 06 18 at 16.11.29

---

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 18, 2018 5:10 pm  

@eightarmedpet You would create a "custom" folder at the same level as APPLE, Boot, Microsoft, and refind. Then put the apple_set_os inside this custom folder. Here's the screen cap of file/folder path.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
June 18, 2018 5:45 pm  

Cheers @itsage !

Thats worked... but sadly same issue as when using apple_set_os on a USB - my LG 5K stays black. Speakers work, and the mouse is there, but no picture.

Is it safe to just pull rEFInd folder out of EFI and trash it or do I have to run a script to work magic?

edit: reading the instructions it looks like its pretty time as I did a manual instal, not sure why the author claims its a bit complicated as removing is just reversing steps.

---

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 18, 2018 6:50 pm  

Do you see the LG Ultrafine 5K in Display settings? I assume both monitor and eGPU connected on the same side (same Thunderbolt 3 controller)?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
June 18, 2018 6:56 pm  

To be honest I didnt check display settings as the mouse cursor was lost in the black... and yep, both same side, guess if I want to solve my AMD Bootcamp woes once and for all I need to change monitor - but then non are quite as nice as the Ultrafine....

---

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
July 6, 2018 1:16 pm  

Bought another 570... so I haven kicking about spare to test.

Did all these steps...

• Run DDU to uninstall all AMD and Nvidia drivers
  • Delay hot-plug RX 580 eGPU to the left TB3 port closest to the TAB key

and made a USB stick with Apple set os on it... STILL error 12?! Would not having a monitor attached make a difference? I'm not expecting my 5K to work so was just trying to get it working with the internal as my Nvidia cards did. Using the 570 is great in macOS...

---

ReplyQuote