Mid 2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX 1080 Ti (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [hipisean]  

RSS

hipisean
(@hipisean)
August 10, 2017 5:01 am  

Long overdue but I'm finally getting around to my implementation guide for Windows 10 on my Macbook. I went from the top end Late 2016 to the top end Mid 2017 and there was minimal differences but for the most part the 2017 was a simpler setup process.

My Setup:

• Mid 2017 15" Macbook Pro, i7- 7920HQ, Radeon Pro 560
  • Mantiz Venus w/ EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 
  • 16 gb USB Stick(First for your windows install, then for your EFI)
  • USB Mouse(Repair Mode sometimes doesn't load drivers for the trackpad/keyboard)
  1. Partition Mac through BootCamp assistant. I tend to give myself at least 100 gb's of space for driver's, base app's, and windows updates.
  2. Go ahead and start your Windows install(I went with the Windows 10 Creators Update and had no problem)
  3. As soon as Mac OS shuts down and Windows 10 goes into setup go ahead and power up your Mantiz.(On the 2017 I can plug it into any port and have no problem, 2016 had to be the forward most port on the left side.)
  4. Once installation is complete, your first boot should come up asking for you to install drivers for the 1080 Ti and bootcamp.  Go ahead and install those and then proceed to reboot after both are complete.
  5. After rebooting into windows you will have the 560 driving your internal display and the 1080 Ti sitting and doing nothing ... So what your gonna do next is go ahead and put all the finishing touches on the install. Go ahead and get all your Windows updates rolling. Then go ahead and download the Intel HD 630 drivers (15.45.18.4664) and install those as well. Last installation you'll have is the choice to have a perma-usb dongle or refind installation for apple_set_os.efi(can't go wrong either way). Go ahead and reboot.
  6. During boot make sure that you hold the Option button and select the EFI option. It should automatically take you to your windows partition and you can run the integrated.bat as an administrator and that's it. From here on out as long as you boot the EFI option before every boot I've had no issues.

I've booted with all 3 GPU's active and it had no negative impact other than long boot times.  But every so often i would get a code 12 or flickering screens. The flickering screens were corrected by downgrading the 630 drivers and the Code 12 by disabling the 560. If you ever come to a point where it looks like the boot screen locks up its usually caused by a failure to remember to load integrated.bat or if you switched back to Mac OS it has a nasty habit of reactivating your dGPU. The way to bypass that is safe mode. Safe Mode will allow you to boot into windows using only an internal screen and rerun the integrated.bat. If you have access to a monitor the process becomes just a matter of hooking it up temporarily and using it to run integrated.bat.

My biggest issue that i have experienced is a failure of my CPU to utilize SpeedShift. I've tried to enable it through ThrottleStop and CommandPrompt but no dice. Unless I force my it to x37 it will forever stay locked at 3100 mhz. Never had any issues with my Mid 2016 and SpeedShift and it shows in the benchmarks but hopefully someday soon it is solved. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have for setup.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + Win10
mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

theitsage and d4rkz3r0 liked
ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)
August 14, 2017 10:58 pm  

This should be really helpful when I try to get my Aorus GTX 1070 eGPU working with my 2017 15" MBP.

BTW: Do you think you could go into a little more detail (or point me in the right direction) on how to setup a refind installation for apple_set_os.efi?

Thanks for the guide!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
August 15, 2017 12:33 am  

What exactly is the "perma-usb dongle"?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
August 15, 2017 2:44 am  

For both of you refer to this Sticky rEFInd Instructions.  When I say Perma-USB, instead of a rEFInd boot manager I hold the Option key and use the built in boot manager to select my apple_set_os.efi that is on a USB stick that i leave permanently in one of my Mantiz USB slots.

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member
September 10, 2017 5:00 pm  

Hi @hipisean,

Nice write up!

I have an almost identical setup (save for an MSI card) in the user implementations guide.

I am intrigued...why do you need to install rEFInd and run integrated.bat? I have found I don't need to. That said, I do have three 4k displays connected and use NVidia's Surround. I have also disabled the internal 560 as a consequence. I was seeing some stage behaviour on the internal Retina display so decided just to disable it as it doesn't play nicely with Surround anyway. Is this why you run rEFInd/integrated.bat - to enable use of the internal display with confidence?

Hypernurd

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
September 11, 2017 10:28 pm  

As far as I understand, rEFInd(apple_set_os.efi) enables the iGPU for Windows, and integrated.bat assigns the iGPU to power the internal display. In my setup there is no external monitors so I need the internal display to be functional 100% of the time. Wish me luck, I'm migrating to a Vega 56 setup and hoping it will be as painless.

ReplyQuote
d4rkz3r0
(@d4rkz3r0)
September 15, 2017 9:10 am  

Hipisean,

You are a god send, thank god user implementation guides exist, the eGPU for Windows guide is perfect, but for those of us with MBP 2017 15"'s, as soon as you decide to power the internal display with the iGPU, you will get non stop screen flickering and glitching, unless you install the older Intel HD 630 drivers (15.45.18.4664). I was able to successfully implement the same setup as you minus the additional monitors, because atm I only want to accelerate the internal display. I'll post my implementation guide within the next few days.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 15, 2017 5:02 pm  

@d4rkz3r0 The display flickering issue is present on the late 2016 15" MacBook pro as well (when on battery power). It goes away when plugged in with either the original charger or power-delivery from eGPU. I will test with Intel drivers version 15.45.18.4664 and report back. Thank you.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
September 15, 2017 8:16 pm  

So here's a couple tips and tricks for the 2017 that I have picked up along the way to make life somewhat easier.

When booting to Windows after using MacOS go ahead and just load your Windows partition(not eGPU connected/no using apple_set_os.efi). Windows will boot up even with the dGPU disabled allowing you to run integrated.bat before rebooting with your eGPU.

When booting over to MacOS after being in windows, sometimes you'll forget to reset the display with dedicated.bat and you will login to MacOS but your screen will be stuck at the loading bar for your login. It's actually loaded, you just can't see. I know this sounds really lazy but i will just drag my finger on the trackpad to the top left corner a couple of times. Click(You should hit the Apple button). And then press the down key 8 times followed by enter. If you did it right you will see the option to shutdown appear on the Touchbar which you can go ahead and hit and when you reboot everything will work perfectly.

I'll probably be posting another implementation guide somewhere down the line. Just picked up a Vega 56, but sold my Mantiz. Hoping the Node Pro comes out soon, but if I see some spectacular deal ill probably just take it. Hopefully by then there are some more mature drivers out for Vega and this SpeedShift BS gets fixed.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 15, 2017 8:39 pm  

Hey, you finally found a good use for the Touch Bar! 😀

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

JonRoth liked
ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
September 18, 2017 10:46 pm  

Snagged an Aorus Gaming Box for cheap off of Amazon but it showed up in bad condition so I'm going to send it back but had to run some benchmarks for people before its gone. Great little box, runs a little hotter than I'm comfortable with during longer gaming sessions and for performance reasons I don't think the 1070 will cut it for people looking to run off of the internal screen only. Went from 50-60 fps with my 1080 Ti in PUBG with all settings on Ultra @ 1800p to around 22 fps with the 1070. As of this moment it is by far the best bang for your buck but with eGPU's becoming more common place I don't see it retaining the title for long.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
September 19, 2017 7:08 am  

I know PUBG is pretty bad performance wise but isn't 22fps @1800 on Ultra kinda terrible performance? I thought I saw 1050-1080 tests where a 1050 was hitting that? Could be wrong. I'm running it on Medium @1440 and getting 60fps with a 1060.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
September 19, 2017 4:13 pm  

Are you running of the internal or external? It could also just be the difference from medium to ultra. And also forcing MFAA isn't helping my cause.  In the end a 1080 is gonna be my minimum for internal screen and if I end up with a G-sync monitor all the better. 

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
October 2, 2017 4:49 pm  

Can you explainn how you used the ThrottleStop?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
October 3, 2017 12:33 am  

Fixed it and I feel stupid. Finally found out how to enable SST for the i7-7920HQ Macbook Pro's. Initially I thought clicking the SpeedShift button inside the main ThrottleStop window would be enough, but I was wrong. Here's the quick and easy guide.

1. Download Throttlestop 8.48 from  https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ . Go ahead and open the exe.

2. Once open click the TPL button.

3. Click the box for SpeedShift and hit apply. Your CPU is now SpeedShift enabled. 

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
October 3, 2017 1:20 am  
Posted by: hipisean

Fixed it and I feel stupid. Finally found out how to enable SST for the i7-7920HQ Macbook Pro's. Initially I thought clicking the SpeedShift button inside the main ThrottleStop window would be enough, but I was wrong. Here's the quick and easy guide.

1. Download Throttlestop 8.48 from  https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ . Go ahead and open the exe.

2. Once open click the TPL button.

3. Click the box for SpeedShift and hit apply. Your CPU is now SpeedShift enabled. 

Sorry, my question wasn't clear haha. Thing is, I have 0 knowledge on TTS. The idea is to undervolt the processor so it can achieve higher clocks and improve performance? Do you do this? What is speed shift? 

ReplyQuote
hipisean
(@hipisean)
October 3, 2017 5:54 pm  

Yeah I don't actually mess with any CPU settings other than speedshift. Without it enabled the max you CPU will goto is 3.1 ghz. Now with it enabled it can go all the way to 4.1 ghz with 1 core or 3.7 ghz with 4 cores. Something is messed up with the firmware for the i7-7920HQ model where it's not enabled by default causing a loss in performance. Speedshift allows the processor to change states. 

Malacain liked
ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
October 3, 2017 7:25 pm  

Yeah I don't actually mess with any CPU settings other than speedshift. Without it enabled the max you CPU will goto is 3.1 ghz. Now with it enabled it can go all the way to 4.1 ghz with 1 core or 3.7 ghz with 4 cores. Something is messed up with the firmware for the i7-7920HQ model where it's not enabled by default causing a loss in performance. Speedshift allows the processor to change states. 

Great! Thanks for that I'll take a look at it.

ReplyQuote
(@malacain)
October 4, 2017 3:19 pm  

You sir are a god send;  I've been struggling to figure out why my processor won't bump above 3.1Ghz.... Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 4, 2017 3:41 pm  

Reg PUBG. Just had a play now... put the setting on "high" then turned down AA, shadows and foliage, FPS was around 45 @1440 with my 1060. I like to hit 60FPS so have just bought a 1070 (anything above that will be a waste as I am on the 13inch which will bottleneck). I'm technically using an external screen (LG 5K) but I believe that it's treated in the same way as an internal including same power loss... Looking forward to see how the 1070 does, I've switched enclosures too so will do another guide (although I did very little to get things working).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
salazartherin
(@salazartherin)
August 17, 2018 10:37 am  
Posted by: d4rkz3r0

Hipisean,

You are a god send, thank god user implementation guides exist, the eGPU for Windows guide is perfect, but for those of us with MBP 2017 15"'s, as soon as you decide to power the internal display with the iGPU, you will get non stop screen flickering and glitching, unless you install the older Intel HD 630 drivers (15.45.18.4664). I was able to successfully implement the same setup as you minus the additional monitors, because atm I only want to accelerate the internal display. I'll post my implementation guide within the next few days.

Can we install those older Windows 7/8 intel drivers on Windows  10? I am having a problem with the screen brightness when powering the internal display with the Intel HD 630 iGPU. The brightness slider doesn't work and the brightness level is stuck at very low.

Edit: The brightness problem was solved by adjusting the brightness from dGPU and then switching to iGPU with gpu switch.

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member
November 23, 2018 10:58 pm  

What's the results on playing playing in Ultra? I just ordered the Gaming Box 1070 on a good deal. I'm not against running at lower settings so I can at least run the game. I honestly can't tell the difference between a lot of the settings. Generally medium to high in some generic setting always seems to work just fine.  I have the 2017 15" with 2.9ghz and should be getting my box in a couple days. 

ReplyQuote