Setup & Software Discussions
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [Defoler]  

RSS

Defoler
(@defoler)
Eminent Member

System Specs

• Mid 2017 Macbook Pro
    • CPU: I7-7920HQ @ 3.1ghz
    • Memory: 16GB LPDDR3 @ 2133Mhz
    • Internal Storage: 1TB
      • 900GB - Mac APFS
      • 100GB - Bootcamp Windows 10 NTFS
    • iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 1.5GB (dynamic)
    • dGPU: Radeon Pro 560 4GB
        • macOS 10.14.3
    • Windows 10 1809
  • Displays:
    • LG 5K ultrafine 5K on macOS, QHD/4K on windows 10
    • Asus XG35VQ UWQHD 100hz / LG 34UC97 (one of them will move on the wife's computer).
  • External storage:
    • Samsung X5 TB3 2TB exFAT
    • WD Elements 3TB

eGPU Hardware:

Peripherals / USB hubs:

• LG 5K connected via TB3 cable
    • Belkin RJ45 to USB-C adapter
    • 13 port USB external powered hub
      • Creative omni 5.1 external sound card
      • WD elements 3TB (time machine HDD)
      • Apple watch charger
  • Asus XG35VQ connected  via USB type B to USB type C
    • 10 port USB external powered hub
      • Razer Naga Chrome
      • Razer Blackwidow Chrome.

TB3/USB-C port setup:

The mac is sitting in clamshell on a stand (hinge toward the bottom).

• Left side:
  • Right side:
    • bottom: Samsung X5 TB3 2TB
    • Top: Asus XG35VQ hub

Installation Steps:

macOS: TBD (Planning to switch to radeon VII once 10.14.4 and available GPU locally, already ordered and waiting on delivery).
I have already upgraded to 10.14 awhile ago, and no nvidia drivers available as of yet, so, macOS is currently irrelevant until at least I switch to AMD card (will update later).

Windows 10 (nvidia card):

• Download windows 1809 64bit IO from microsoft site.
  • Install windows 10 using bootcamp. Let bootcamp install all the drivers.
  • Boot into windows 10. Download and install all the latest drivers.
  • After last reboot, go into device manager, view by resources by connection, make sure Large Memory appears.
    • If no large memory appear, it is time to bring in the coffee, u and start working on making a bootable EFI for the eGPU though this guide. It is a pain but I got it somewhat to work when I first started. See comments.
  • I did not restart in safe mode and uninstalled AMD drivers, as I did not need AMD drivers performance for now, but I need the dGPU to power the LG 5K.
  • Let windows figure out all the devices available. 
  • Plug in eGPU while windows running. Let windows sort itself out (takes a few minutes to install all the drivers it finds).
  • Download nvidia web drivers (latest version). Install them.
  • Restart the system to make sure everything is taken into effect. There is no need to disconnect eGPU every restart.

Hardware pictures:

TBA later on

Benchmarks:

TBA later on

Comments:

• Peripherals:
    I had a few issues with bandwidth.  The TB3 ports apparent did not have enough bandwidth to provide everything on a single port. At first I tried to run all the peripherals through the single TB3 cable that is connected to the LG 5K. But I had many peripherals (mainly mouse and keyboard) being jerky, suddenly disconnected and reconnected, etc. I tried to distribute peripherals around until I found a balance.
    For that reason I might consider in the future to get an eGPU case with USB connectors to see if it will reduce the amount of needed connections.
    It is also strange, considering I could run 5K+everything through the LG 5K under macOS, but not under windows.
    There might be driver issues but I hadn't see any so far, or I need to install something else that I hadn't figure out so far.

• Windows 10: This is where I had most difficulties. I initially planned to install windows on an external SSD (I already had one in hand). That worked out fine initially without setting the eGPU, but I had a lot of issues making large memory available and getting the eGPU actually work.
    The eGPU was stuck at code 12 no matter the port I was using, and trying to use custom EFI through the guides, automated egpu, really did not work well in my favour. It made things a lot more complicated.  
    I was also considering turning off the dGPU or iGPU as some guides suggest to see if it works, but considering my end setup would include the dGPU, I was trying to figure out to do it with it anyway.
    So what I did eventually was ditch that plan. I decided to "sacrifice" 100GB of the MacBook pro storage for windows 10 running full bootcamp installation, hoping that would save me a few steps along the way.That basically "solved" my issue, as the large memory appeared from the get-go without needing special EFI or an extra USB to run the boot selection.

• Display:
    I know my display setup is not idle. The 5K is usually my go to for photo or video editing, and the 34 wide is for gaming on the PC, or extra real-estate on the mac when I need to.
    Considering I wanted to drop the PC, but I did not want to drop the 5K for the 34 nor the 34 for the 5K, I decided I want them both. Hence the majority of issues I had with connections.

• eGPU/dGPU:
    The LG 5K is automatically powered by the dGPU of the MacBook pro. Windows shows which GPU is running what. If I drag a browser from the eGPU connected monitor to the LG, I can see the switch from GPU 0 to GPU 1.
    The asus is correctly only running and the hub is only active when it gets a signal from the eGPU.
    The eGPU's panel is also considered as the main monitor. Once windows start, it will show up on through the eGPU before the dGPU.
    The eGPU rtx 2080 spins when running through macOS. But it runs very silent and barely noticeable, most likely for the lack of data coming through so it keeps it under wraps. That is a good thing.

Still to figure out:

• macOS - Windows 10 switching: I can switch from macOS to windows just fine via change startup disk in macOS, but bootcamp doesn't recognise macOS (really apple?), so I can't switch without having to open the MacBook pro while restart, press options key and select macOS drive. It is still a hassle I'm trying to figure out. If anyone has a better idea, by all means. 
  • Better Hubs balance: Figuring out how to fix bandwidth issues with the hubs and connect everything together. Maybe daisy chain the hubs? Still seems like mouse and keyboard running through the 5K is the main issue. So maybe a better case with USB could have fixed that.
  • I know it is silly, but windows 10 does not recognise the asus aura sync from the display.

Final word:

For me, this setup is great (well except the windows/macos switching). It doesn't save space on the desktop, but it does under the desktop. No need for the PC anymore, so it saves me power and heat. And also considering I barely use the PC outside of gaming, it makes sense to finally get it out, as I won't be updating it at least for the next few years, but I expect to upgrade my MacBook pro at the end of this year or the start of the next one . It also makes my setup easier to upgrade when I need to in the future.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Need to see some pics of this beast of a set up...  😉 

Interesting to see you too have problems booting from W10 > macOS, I was beginning to think I was the only one who had the problem (macOS not being detected). On my 2016 MBP and my short owned Mini it worked fine but my daily driver 2017 MBP has never managed the feet. I currently use rEFInd to manage my booting as that gets me past error 12 with AMD cards after a little bit of messing about (having to boot twice basically).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Defoler
(@defoler)
Eminent Member

This is interesting. I never heard of rEFInd. I will look into it.

I have used the automatic uefi method to make a USB as the primary boot and from which I can choose where to start (windows or mac) through my experiments, as I didn't want to touch the macOS installation. But I hadn't use it on my end setup yet. Once I do I will update.

I will post photos later on.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

It's in a few builds on this site for 2016-2017 MBPs, pre UEFI USB solution. I had problems with it for ages due to my 5K but switching ports sorted that...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@ez_poo)

Hello,

How did you uninstall the AMD drivers? Did you use DUD and reinstall the AMD drivers using the Adrenaline AMD drivers, or did you just use the default drivers from Windows after updating? Can you please share what the AMD dGPU is displayed as under Device Manager? Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Defoler
(@defoler)
Eminent Member

I did not uninstall the amd drives. I’m still using the boot camp drivers that came when boot camp installed the software.
It shows as Radeon 560. It dives the LG 5k. The intel iGPU are installed but not active, a the internal display is shut.
When I was working on running windows under USB, I installed amd drivers from the bootcampdrivers site over the apple ones. That worked fine.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Defoler
(@defoler)
Eminent Member

I just wanted to update that any attempt running automatic UEFI completely screws up windows boot in bootcamp.
I had to reinstall windows 10 bootcamp twice because something changed that really took a heavy toll on the windows installation.

The good side of it, is that for some reason it now shows mac OS under the bootcamp settings. I still doesn't let bootcamp to restart in mac, but its progress?

rEFInd  for some reason trying to install it, doesn't get into effect. No boot screen when starting.

Anyway, I have a radeon VII coming in 2 days, and a second razer core X to set it up in, and test it under mac. Though I might wait until 10.14.4, because I don't usually trust beta OS.

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote