2015 13" MacBook Air [5th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [pilotguide]
- early-2017 13” MacBook Air (Intel HD Graphics 6000)
- 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- 256 GB SSD
- 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
- High Sierra 10.13.6 (Now updated to 10.14)
- 24-inch (1920 x 1080) Acer Display
- Aorus GTX1070 eGPU (REV 1.0) - Case only GTX1070 removed
- MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX (2048 MB)
- Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter
- Insignia 6ft TB2 Cable
- Generic DVI to DVI cable
- Purchased new Aorus eGPU enclosure from eBay
- Opened and installed Radeon RX 560 ITX. Power connectors are not used.
- Plugged the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter into the back of the eGPU enclosure.
- Plugged TB2 cable into adapter then to the lightning port on the MacBook Air.
- DVI cable installed from monitor to the GPU.
- Total hardware cost with accessories was about $360CAD (Aug 2018)
- Follow the instructions to disable SIP and install purge-wrangler. (purge-wrangler)
- Enable AMD eGPU in purge wrangler.
- Kerbal Space Program
- The Long Dark
- DiRT 3
- Fusion 360
- Simplify 3D
- Affinity Photo
- Geekbench 4.0
- Unigine Heaven
I’m seeing great performance from all apps tested to date. Running monitor at 1080p. Games tested at 1080p. Modelling more complex 3D models in Fusion 360 has excellent performance. All games tested work well between medium and high settings. Very happy with the performance! Kerbal Space Program (my favourite) runs like a dream now. Subnautica was a surprise. It actually runs pretty well. This is certainly not the same as having a dedicated machine, however it’s not at all bad. If you can find that parts for a reasonable price the upgrade is worth it.
Benchmark (External Monitor)
High settings in 1080p on Acer 24” display. Results are for macOS only.
Display may need the TB2 cable unplugged from the MacBook Air until login is complete or you'll have a blank screen. Try installing automate-eGPU.kext.hs6.zip for macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Install automate-eGPU.kext to /Library/Extensions/ and fix permissions using Kext Utility. Reboot. This might resolve your display issues.
USB ports on the Aorus box are non-functioning. Any device plugged in isn't recognized by macOS. It’s a known issue with this case. A firmware update may solve the issue.
FIRMWARE I'm going to try and install 1.0 H2D firmware from a TB3 enabled Windows PC and see if performance improves. I will update the post when it's completed and tested.
Did the purge-wrangler script worked in mojave?