2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [ed_co]  

of  4
  RSS

branch_bryce
(@branch_bryce)

Hey!
So  I have the Mantis Venus coming to me in the mail, and currently have a Mac book Pro 13 inch, no touch bar, 2017. I also have a GT X 1070 and a 1 TB SSD i plan on putting games on.
So i have a few questions. 
Can you have the graphics card plugged in and switch between Mac OS and windows boot camp without unplugging?
Can you unplug the box while the mac is running? or do I have to turn it off?
Also, will windows just allow plug and play even if I decide not to run the script on the high siera side of things? 
I have more questions but I don't want to bombard you and you may inadvertently answer them for me!
Thanks a bunch in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Posted by: branch_bryce

Hey!
So  I have the Mantis Venus coming to me in the mail, and currently have a Mac book Pro 13 inch, no touch bar, 2017. I also have a GT X 1070 and a 1 TB SSD i plan on putting games on.
So i have a few questions. 
Can you have the graphics card plugged in and switch between Mac OS and windows boot camp without unplugging?
Can you unplug the box while the mac is running? or do I have to turn it off?
Also, will windows just allow plug and play even if I decide not to run the script on the high siera side of things? 
I have more questions but I don't want to bombard you and you may inadvertently answer them for me!
Thanks a bunch in advance

Sorry, didn't realize that someone wrote me...
First, we don't have same versions of Macbook so, everything here could be not useful for you, it changes a lot between 13" and 15" models.
I did the unplug/plug procedure just in macOS and plug it before turn on to boot in Windows.
Even though, I think now you will know how to do it...
Hope it helps to someone.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Tired of nVidia, sold 1080ti.
Waiting for my Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC and PSU corsair SF600.
Hope this will be easier. I will update my guide.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mactastic08
(@mactastic08)

Ha! I did the same thing and switched the 1080ti for the Vega 64 - Let us know how the PSU update goes, might be interested in doing the same thing.

Macbook Pro 15" 2018 + Mantiz Venus + Vega 64 + MacOS 10.14/Windows 10

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Posted by: ed_co

Tired of nVidia, sold 1080ti.
Waiting for my Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC and PSU corsair SF600.
Hope this will be easier. I will update my guide.

Yeah the war between Nvidia and Apple is just like kids fight. According this  today MacBook users signed petition against Mojave nvidia drivers support.

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

2016 12" Razer Blade Stealth [7th,2C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Let's get one thing clear. Mac Pro tower owners were the only group of customers to whom Apple officially sold standard PCIe Nvidia GPU support. All but the MacPro5,1 (Mid 2012) are on the vintage and obsolete list as of late 2018. Apple is not obligated to the demands of Hackintosh and Nvidia eGPU Mac users.

I'm neither a fan of Apple nor Nvidia but this is more of Nvidia's issue than Apple. They may not come to someone's house and not follow the rules all the while assume they are always welcome.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ed_co and goalque liked
ReplyQuote
Mactastic08
(@mactastic08)

Agree - If the relationship improves I would head back too. There is a lot Apple could do to make this a way better user experience and not have to "fight the system." With the time I have now with kids/family etc; I needed something plug and play Nvidia didn't provide that - The windows 10 experience is 90% there I think (with an AMD card.)

Macbook Pro 15" 2018 + Mantiz Venus + Vega 64 + MacOS 10.14/Windows 10

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

I am not fan of anyone, I just have a problem with nVidia on MacOS, and as an Apple's user (I don't like windows, I just use it from time to time just for gaming, and 10 times per year), I don't want to keep with the same problem, and that's the reason for my change. I don't blame anyone, just doing what I think is better for me. If in the future, nVidia has good support on macOS and warranties (meaning: with improved drivers, because it never worked as good as AMD on MacOS; and the warranty of not having the same problem of non supporting for a long period of time on each released MacOS version), and the cards are better than AMD, I will go back with no problems nor hard feelings.
Until then: bye nVidia.

ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

Posted by: ed_co

I am not fan of anyone, I just have a problem with nVidia on MacOS, and as an Apple's user (I don't like windows, I just use it from time to time just for gaming, and 10 times per year), I don't want to keep with the same problem, and that's the reason for my change. I don't blame anyone, just doing what I think is better for me. If in the future, nVidia has good support on macOS and warranties (meaning: with improved drivers, because it never worked as good as AMD on MacOS; and the warranty of not having the same problem of non supporting for a long period of time on each released MacOS version), and the cards are better than AMD, I will go back with no problems nor hard feelings.
Until then: bye nVidia.

I recently purchased a Sonnet 650W with a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming 8G GPU with a Macbook pro 13 "touchbar 2017. I have a number of problems. In mi opinion, I think that this GIGABYTE VEGA RX 64 OC GAMING 8G isn't compatible with MacOs,despite Sonnet having this GPU as preferred in their compatibility list of GPU's.  Thank you 

You can view all the problems detailed in my last post. Also, soy de Madrid! Si lo deseas podemos hablar en español.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Look @skarhen, first of all, you don't have a explanation/detailed guide to explain what you are saying (as you said you explained in detail) in your thread:

Posted by: skarhen

Hi all!

I recently purchased a Sonnet 650W with a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming 8G GPU with a Macbook pro 13 "touchbar 2017. I have a number of problems:

The internal display: macOS recognizes the GPU but the applications do not start, they keep loading and looks blocked. To eject the GPU from the menu is also blocked. Also, the activity monitor stop working when the eGPU is connected. Furthermore, when I connect the eGPU the fan velocity is high and in many times  the computer freezes.

The external display connected by HDMI through the GPU is black.

Any solution or suggestion to this problem? In my opinion, I think that this GIGABYTE VEGA RX 64 OC GAMING 8G isn't compatible with MacOs, despite Sonnet having this GPU as preferred in their compatibility list of GPU's.  Thank you

What you wrote is useless. I am pretty sure you didn't even try nor read enough. You didn't provide all the test you did in order to say that.
So, before saying anything with BOLD letters, please read and try, A LOT.

When I read your post yesterday, I almost freak out, because I sold my card, and I got this one, based on other reviews with the card, which claimed it was plug and play. And I trusted you when you said that, and I was scared and about to think to return the card and all of that... but then I was reading your statements, and your other post (you just have 2) and I didn't even pay attention because you just talk nonsense without any prove nor test, nor anything... Having the other guy with a proper thread which is trustable enough.

Today, I have just received the card GIGABYTE RX VEGA 64 GAMING OC, and I tried, and it was just PLUG AND PLAY (the more plug and play  and compatible card I have ever use in MacOS), without any other problem except is noisier (and with coil whine, but I researched about it and pretty much every AMD card suffers from it badly) than the one I have (which was REALLY quiet). I didn't do anything except plug it and use it. I could even eject and connect several times, without any problem with it.

So, before make statements, and ensure something, try to do it with some foundations, because maybe you can't keep them. You can confuse others. And be careful with your BOLD letters.

Talking like you did is not healthy nor helpful, please don't do that again (at least with me, maybe others don't care).

ReplyQuote
 of  4