Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [ed_co]  

of  4
  RSS

skarhen
(@skarhen)

Posted by: ed_co

Look @skarhen, first of all, you don't have a explanation/detailed guide to explain what you are saying (as you said you explained in detail... LOL). What you wrote is useless. I am pretty sure you didn't even try or read enough. You didn't provide all the test you did in order to say that.
So, before saying anything with BOLD letters, please read and try, A LOT.

When I read your post yesterday, I almost freak out, because I sold my card, and I got this one, based on other reviews with the card, which claimed it was plug and play. And I trusted you when you said that, and I was scared and about to think to return the card and all of that... but then I was reading what you statements, and your other post (you just have 2) and I didn't even pay attention because you just talk nonsense without any prove nor test, nor anything... Having the other guy with a proper thread which is trustable enough.

Today, I have just received the card, and I tried, and it was just PLUG AND PLAY, without any other problem except is noisier (and with coil whine, but I researched about it and pretty much every AMD card suffers from it badly) than the one I have (which was REALLY quiet). I didn't do anything except plug it and use it. I could even eject and connect several times, without any problem with it.

So, before make statements, and ensure something, try to do it with some foundations, because maybe you can't keep them. You can confuse others. And be careful with your BOLD letters.

Talking like you did is not healthy nor helpful, please don't do that again (at least with me, maybe others don't care).

Wow, it was not my intention to create FUD. I just wrote everything that is happening to me with my 2017 MBP TouchBar and the Sonnet 650W along with this GPU. It is a very positive news that you are making this card work, I would like to know how you have made it work. In my current situation I can not make it work and many of the applications that I start with this eGPU are frozen.I'm sorry if I bothered you, I tried my best detailing the problems that I have had with this GPU (You have to understand that I am not an expert at all in this area, my explanations may not be very specific but I try to detail it as best as I can). Could you please help me know what your configuration is to try to understand why it is not working in my MBP? Does your card work externally and internally? I'm sorry if my post bothered you.

My Mac:

MacBookPro14,2 (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Intel Core i5 (3,1 GHz)
Version 10.14.2 (18C54)
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

My eGPU:
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W 
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC 8GB

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Posted by: skarhen

It is a very positive news that you are making this card work, I would like to know how you have made it work.

If you follow the review link I post in my previous thread you can see that are other people which can too, before me.
I made it work in the following way:
- Put the card inside the thunderbolt case.
- Plug the power cord to the case, and the thunderbolt to the macbook pro.
- Use it, as is plug and play. DONE.

In my current situation I can not make it work and many of the applications that I start with this eGPU are frozen.

It never happened to me so far, nothing frozen here. But have you even said what applications?? Have you said what did you tried and how? Have you said anything?
Look, I am not here to let you know what you have to do, but at least, provide always all the information you can, ordered and clear, then you can receive the feedback and help. Do it on your thread, as you can compile all the information there and your progress... but come on... you are not helping anyone to help you, you just talked bad, and that's it.

I tried my best detailing the problems that I have had with this GPU (You have to understand that I am not an expert at all in this area, my explanations may not be very specific but I try to detail it as best as I can). Could you please help me know what your configuration is to try to understand why it is not working in my MBP? Does your card work externally and internally? I'm sorry if my post bothered you.

No, you didn't (if this is trying your best...). No one expects you to be an expert in anything. I am not. But at least I try things, and I ask properly and with details.
I use the card externally (and with the mac closed), and I think in order to use it internally, you should use it with a dummy dongle (maybe now it changed, and there are other procedures).  As I have no plans to use it internally, I am not sure. I am pretty sure there are a lot of guides in the forum.

Could you please help me know what your configuration is to try to understand why it is not working in my MBP? Does your card work externally and internally?

When you post in your thread all the details: all the applications you used that got frozen, and how did you use them, even which ports did you use, etc... I will take a look and maybe I could be helpful (and maybe not me, but others).

No apologies needed, just forget about it. I didn't want to bother you too, just to make you think. Think before posting, because maybe what you said is not true, and can confuse/difficult others.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

Posted by: ed_co

It is a very positive news that you are making this card work, I would like to know how you have made it work.

If you follow the review link I post in my previous thread you can see that are other people which can too, before me.
I made it work in the following way:
- Put the card inside the thunderbolt case.
- Plug the power cord to the case, and the thunderbolt to the macbook pro.
- Use it, as is plug and play. DONE.

In my current situation I can not make it work and many of the applications that I start with this eGPU are frozen.

It never happened to me so far, nothing frozen here. But have you even said what applications?? Have you said what did you tried and how? Have you said anything?
Look, I am not here to let you know what you have to do, but at least, provide always all the information you can, ordered and clear, then you can receive the feedback and help. Do it on your thread, as you can compile all the information there and your progress... but come on... you are not helping anyone to help you, you just talked bad, and that's it.

I tried my best detailing the problems that I have had with this GPU (You have to understand that I am not an expert at all in this area, my explanations may not be very specific but I try to detail it as best as I can). Could you please help me know what your configuration is to try to understand why it is not working in my MBP? Does your card work externally and internally? I'm sorry if my post bothered you.

No, you didn't (if this is trying your best...). No one expects you to be an expert in anything. I am not. But at least I try things, and I ask properly and with details.
I use the card externally (and with the mac closed), and I think in order to use it internally, you should use it with a dummy dongle (maybe now it changed, and there are other procedures).  As I have no plans to use it internally, I am not sure. I am pretty sure there are a lot of guides in the forum.

Could you please help me know what your configuration is to try to understand why it is not working in my MBP? Does your card work externally and internally?

When you post in your thread all the details: all the applications you used that got frozen, and how did you use them, even which ports did you use, etc... I will take a look and maybe I could be helpful (and maybe not me, but others).

No apologies needed, just forget about it. I didn't want to bother you too, just to make you think. Think before posting, because maybe what you said is not true, and can confuse/difficult others.

Looks like installing Pure-wrangler. sh AMD Legacy Ti82enclosures and TB1/2/3 and deactivating FileVault the GPU is now working  🙂 . However, the HDMi ports aren't working and nowadays I'm waiting my new LG screen (Which has DisplayPort). I will put this info in my thread if someone has the same problem with my same set-up, maybe someone could benefit of this info.

One last thing @ed_co, in your set-up:
a) Your external monitor is connected trough DisplayPort?
b) If this is the case, have you tried if the HDMi ports are working correctly with the GPU? 

Thanks four your help

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Looks like installing Pure-wrangler. sh AMD Legacy Ti82enclosures and TB1/2/3 and deactivating FileVault the GPU is now working  🙂 . However, the HDMi ports aren't working and nowadays I'm waiting my new LG screen (Which has DisplayPort). I will put this info in my thread if someone has the same problem with my same set-up, maybe someone could benefit of this info.

One last thing @ed_co, in your set-up:
a) Your external monitor is connected trough DisplayPort?
b) If this is the case, have you tried if the HDMi ports are working correctly with the GPU? 

Thanks four your help

Your Sonnet TB3 box is TI83, not 82... You don't need ANYTHING to make it work, why use pure_wrangler?? READ.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  4