2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + R9 Fury X @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350)...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + R9 Fury X @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14.2 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

Posted by: @itsage

Instead of spending a premium on the Blackmagic eGPU /Pro to get Thunderbolt 3 monitor output for LG UltraFine Displays, you can use these two components with almost all eGPU enclosures. The cost is about $60 to $110 for the Thunderbolt 3 AIC and PCIe powered riser adapter.

But would the camera, usb-c ports,mic and speakers work on the UltraFine if you used a setup like this?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@bigmikeuk, no. You need a PCIe connection between the Thunderbolt 3 AIC and the computer. Then the computer needs software to enable PCIe tunnelling from the Thunderbolt 3 AIC to the LG UltraFine 5K display so that the computer can communicate with the USB controller in the display to control the camera, USB-C ports, mic, and speakers. That software doesn't exist yet.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

Thanks joevt, that was what I had gathered from our conversations on a separate post.  I was just trying to clarify that it there is no comparison yet for the custom built egpu vs the Blackmagic egpu if you want full compatibility with the LG ultrafine 5k's (camera, USB, speaker, mic), but if you just want picture output, then thats OK..  and I wouldn't be sure on brightness controls..

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2