2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro)...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [itsage]  

of  7
  RSS

Roedi78
(@roedi78)
Trusted Member

@oliverb Don't forget that the GTX1080Ti has a (during the two years 😉 ) well optimized driver now, whereas the RadeonVII is still running on release driver. So there is a lot of optimizing potential. I hope we could expect another +2..5..10% in FPS. Hopefully.

This post was modified 3 years ago

MacBook Pro 15" Late-2016 w/TB 16GB with RP460 4GB
Mac Mini 2018, 64GB, i7-8700B, 6-core, 3,2GHz
 macOS Catalina 11.2 Beta w/Win10 (20H2) BootCamp
 Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box 10GB

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Roedi78
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Assume you are able to boot with the eGPU connected?

My eGPU is always connected, changes from macOS to Win10 and back are no problems.
I use [ automate-eGPU EFI 1.0.5 USB (Stick always connected to my TB3 dock) + DSDT override + MuxSetting=0 + no apple_set_os.efi ] for booting into Win10. To macOS I boot natively without any scripts (except the kext injection-hack to get the Radeon VII work in 10.14.4 beta).

Cheers for the info, I really need to sort my 2016 model out but having a nightmare even installing Windows...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Does anyone is able to use the Radeon Overlay with the new Adrenalin 2019 drivers, i was able to get it to work with my previous Radeon Vega 64 with the Adrenalin 2018 drivers, but no luck since the Adrenalin 2019, same thing is happening with my Radeon VII. I tried clean installs with AMD utility, DDU, etc.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
luyiming7
(@luyiming7)

Hi, were you able to use radeon vii in bootcamp mac mini? I just received my radeon vii yesterday and spent 1 day trying to figure it out how to make it work, but with almost no success. I'm using radeon vii with sonnet breakaway 650w, and mac mini 2018. First I directly boot into windows and hot-plug it, and it is identified successfully so I installed the driver. However this gives code 12 error. I used automate-eGPU EFI to boot into windows, but after login and open up the device manager, the radeon vii is not there. I need to disconnect the card and connect it again, while it still results in a code 12 error. By the way, on the EFI screen, my card is not detected as eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@luyiming7 yes i'm able to use it and it works pretty nice. You have to disconnect all usb-c or thunderbolt 3 devices, boot Windows with the iGPU (hdmi port in the mac mini), (if you used to have an AMD card installed, run AMD Cleanup utility, DDU to wipe everything and restart), hot plug the eGPU (make sure to connect the eGPU in the first port that is close to the power cable), install the latest 19.2.2 drivers, it will work as expected and it will ask you to reboot, click no and then you manually press shutdown, disconnect the HDMI cable of your mac mini iGPU and then on power on the mac mini with the eGPU and obviously a display connected to the eGPU, you will have to wait like 1 minute or less to get windows login screen, then it will fail with a black screen, you can turn off the mac mini by long pressing the power button and boot it again, then it will work from now on. After it works, you can now connect all thunderbolt 3 or usb devices that you use (however make sure to do it when the mac mini is powered off)

ReplyQuote
luyiming7
(@luyiming7)

Yeah, I got it working properly with eGPU only configuration yesterday, but thanks anyway.
However there is still some problems remaining. I'm unable to plug any more thunderbolt devices, with a code 10 error.
Also I patched my Radeon with latest BIOS from AMD, which is V106, and confirmed successful from AMD software, supposedly it should fix the UEFI problem. However, on Mac's boot manager(hold option during boot), still no graphical output from Radeon VII. And windows still got no secure boot, so it seems to be unfixed?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Honestly I disabled secure boot for my Mac and also disabled sip. So I don’t know if my windows has secure boot. Are you able to connect the thunderbolt devices while powered off? Also I don’t think that you are gonna see the boot menu with an egpu, so far all the cards that I tried none of them were able to do it, tested with Vega fe, Vega 64, rx580 and VII.

ReplyQuote
luyiming7
(@luyiming7)

I am able to connect TB3 dock prior to boot together with dGPU, but some port on my dock is not working, connecting additional hard drive through TB3 on the dock will cause the SATA bus unusable.
Anyway I'm giving up experimenting with Windows on Mac, so I'm planning buying a cheap Intel NUC instead, and waiting for the coming macOS 10.14.4 to support the new card.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Yeah, I don’t use windows for anything except gaming. Also the last thing to try would be a dsdt mod for large memory support.

ReplyQuote
Roedi78
(@roedi78)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

Yeah, I don’t use windows for anything except gaming. Also the last thing to try would be a dsdt mod for large memory support.

Works perfect in my case. I also use a TB3 dock (CalDigit) without any issues in macOS and BootCamp.

MacBook Pro 15" Late-2016 w/TB 16GB with RP460 4GB
Mac Mini 2018, 64GB, i7-8700B, 6-core, 3,2GHz
 macOS Catalina 11.2 Beta w/Win10 (20H2) BootCamp
 Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box 10GB

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  7