2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win1...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

This build serves as an update to the eGPU Boot Camp setup guide. I can confirm the 2018 Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro works similarly as 2016 and 2017 models. My hunch is the Apple T2 chip as Secure Boot may interfere with the booting process into Windows with an eGPU attached. While Nvidia eGPU may work with these 2018 MBP plug-and-play, AMD eGPU is a much different experience, mainly error 12 due to not enough allocated resources to the eGPU. I'm now able to run RX Vega 56 as well as RX 580 eGPU in internal display mode with this 2018 13" MBP.

System specs:

2018 13" QC MacBook Pro - i5-8259U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Mantiz Venus + Radeon RX Vega 56 + AKiTiO 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Below are the step by step process I took to set up my 2018 13" MacBook Pro for AMD eGPU:

• Boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP through Terminal. Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media [in Option Boot]
  • Download Windows 10 ISO and install through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS and Windows]
  • Complete Boot Camp driver installation then open Device Manager to disable PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9DB0 (to right Thunderbolt 3 ports) [in Windows]
  • Download and install rEFInd then mount EFI partition to enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 [in macOS]
  • Connect eGPU to the left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to display hinge then hit POWER button[Computer off]
  • Select Windows volume then hit ENTER [in rEFInd Boot]
  • Wait for Windows to complete booting and detect eGPU as well as auto-install of drivers [in Windows]

If all goes well, you should see AMD Xconnect notification and icon. During my trial and error process, the AMD eGPU can actually work on either side Thunderbolt 3 port. You need to disable the TB3 controller of opposing side. I found using the left TB3 port closest to the display hinge works most reliable. Here are screen captures of Device Manager to show the PCIe controllers.

AIDA and HWiNFO screen captures.

Benchmarks:

I ran Unigine benchmarks in internal display and external monitor:

Internal Display External Monitor

Comments:

If you have a 2018 13" MBP and AMD eGPU, give this procedure a try and let us know how it works. Once I have more success reports, I will update the Boot Camp eGPU setup guide. I've tried with the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box as well as AKiTiO Node Pro + WX 9100 and got the same success.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Eightarmedpet, ikir, bonsaielectric and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@itsage, thank you for the update.  One minor optimization courtesy of rEFInd's Aug-2017 spoof_osx_version  update.  Did  you want to set the spoof_osx_version token in the refind.conf  to eliminate the apple_set_os.efi loading step?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4 Thank you for this tip. I used the built-in spoof_osx_version and it worked great! In the process, I implemented eGPU.io theme for rEFInd as well. Here are some screen captures and basic instructions to replicate these changes in rEFInd for eGPU Boot Camp.

• Mount the EFI partition with Terminal then open refind.conf with a text editor
  • Locate and remove # from spoof_osx_version 10.9
  • Add include themes/rEFInd-egpu/theme.conf to the bottom of refind.conf
  • Download @eightarmedpet's custom eGPU.io theme & backgrounds
  • Extract rEFInd-egpu folder into rEFInd's themes folder (create this folder if it's not there)
  • Open the correct background size (my 13" MBP uses 1600 file) in Preview then export to background.png
  • Move and override the background.png in the rEFInd-egpu folder

Reboot and you'll see this rEFInd boot selection screen. You can then simply pick the boot volume you want. I will try to incorporate @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI next.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I'm looking forward to see your build guide with an AMD eGPU + LG Ultrafine. I will find time and document a step-by-step procedure to install rEFInd, mount ESP partition, enable spoof_osx_version, and add custom theme. It's been rather fragmented with bits all over.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage with the latest Windows (and previous ones to be honest) and macOS releases it should be possible to power apps on the LG 5K regardless of whether the screens plugged into it or not...

Now if it wasn't for that pesky error 12.

edit: followed the above instructions and for rEFInd working simply and quickly (manual instal, had to add "sudo" to one of the commands to get privileges), nice to see the custom theme on startup too! Only prob is, well, the usual in W10, using rEFInd results in black screen on the 5K, forgot rEFInd did that as well as apple_set_os... 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Does it mean that we actually no need for the apple_set_oc? what will be the difference between the remove # VS load from the apple_set_oc ?

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
manzanita
(@manzanita)

Posted by: itsage

@nando4 Thank you for this tip. I used the built-in spoof_osx_version and it worked great! In the process, I implemented eGPU.io theme for rEFInd as well. Here are some screen captures and basic instructions to replicate these changes in rEFInd for eGPU Boot Camp.

• Mount the EFI partition with Terminal then open refind.conf with a text editor

Sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, currently I´m not in front of my machine. Do you mean ONLY remove the "#" and then leave the line spoof_osx_version 10.9 in the refind.conf file?
Many Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mymantiz_john Yes no need for apple_set_os.efi once you enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 in rewind.conf. You simply boot up, select Windows and hit Enter.

@manzanita You are correct.

ReplyQuote
blisster138
(@blisster138)

Excellent guidance. I have a Razer Core X and the only piece I'm missing at this point is the rEFInd.conf. Will install the boot loader and see if bootcamp will finally recognize my RX Vega 64. Runs like a champ under Mac OS but bootcamping for games would be my holy grail of portable computing.

Mac Book Pro 13" (2018 w/TouchBar) with AMD Vega 64 | macOS Mojave 10.14.2 | Bootcamp Windows 10 1803 | automate-eGPU-EFI 1.0.5 USB | Razer Core X eGPU | ASUS ROG Strix Gaming 8GB Vega 64

ReplyQuote
 of  5