Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win1...

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Argh, you’re totally right, I read a few 2017 model reports of plug and play and but that  post contains no info, I blame having a few gins the other night, maybe I read it was just Nvidia cards that worked plug and play in Windows.... or maybe all my error 12 issues have finally driven me nuts.

Yeah, I think people have been saying Nvidia cards were working plug-and-play in Windows. Frustrating because it seems like getting Nvidia cards working in macOS is more straightforward than AMD in Windows via Boot Camp.

Anyways, I'm going to try again today and will report back if I have any success.

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

Alright, so I think I have a working solution for my purposes. I'll put together a build guide in the next few days, but I was able to get my Vega 64 working in Windows via Boot Camp without disabling SIP or Secure Boot. I basically followed the steps in this post. The internal display is disabled, but that's fine for me as I'm running this machine with the lid closed pretty much exclusively anyways.

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
(@mrgaolei)

I have MBP 2018 13', and Vega64 via Razer CoreX.
Before this, it got Error 12 in Windows.
I will try this and reply my result.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
nipunaw
(@nipunaw)

Posted by: Notorious826

@nipunaw I have a very similar build to you and I mostly use Windows Bootcamp on my External Display (View only on Display 2 in the Display Settings).

• 2018 MacBook Pro 13" w/Touchbar (i7, 16gb, 500gb SSD)
  • Razer Core X with Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
  • Apple Cinema Display
  • Satechi Aluminum Type-C Multimedia Adapter with 4K HDMI, mini DisplayPort, USB-C PD, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, Micro/SD Card

I've disconnected PCI Express Root Port #5 (on the left side) and the iSight Camera to beat Error 12. Works like a charm.

I do get the occasional stuttering on my display during Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. However, that is more of a latency issue. Ping constantly rubber bands from 50ms to 150ms.

How is your performance over wireless internet? I suspect that the USB Type-C Media Adapter is messing with my Wireless Adapter. I'm going to try using a wired ethernet connection and see if it makes any difference.

@notorious826 
Sorry to get back to you this late. I actually haven't tested wireless extensively enough to notice if there was any unusual ping spikes. However, I can say for fact that my wired connection over my adapter is much more reliable (high speeds and low ping).

How has your AMD build been holding up in Bootcamp? Ever since the supplemental update (that migrated the thermal management patch), mine has held up pretty well, but I haven't done much testing for plug-n-play functionality on Bootcamp (though it has happened to work on random sometimes).

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@itsage thank you got the contribution. In the build guides it is mentioned by Nando.

In order to get the most performance out of an external GPU setup, we recommend using a quad-core processor Mac. From the limited resources we’ve gathered to date, the Late 2016 15″ MacBook Pro is currently the best host for external GPU implementation. We found Apple attached the PCIe lanes directly to the quad-core i7 CPU in its newest 15″ MacBook Pro laptops.

⚡ 15-in Macbook Pro is the only current notebook to use the faster TB3-CPU architecture

This is unlike the majority of Thunderbolt computers which route the PCIe lanes through the Platform Controller Hub (PCH). The disadvantage of having the Thunderbolt connection through the PCH is that the PCH shares bandwidth with other internal components (e.g., PCIe flash storage, network cards, USB ports) and potentially limits the external GPU performance. In this table, Nando explains max bandwidth for external graphics card usage on the Late 2016 MacBook Pro.

Do you know if in the 2018 mbp13 the pcie lanes are attached to the cpu.

Thank you in advance 

This post was modified 11 months ago

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Shirokiya
(@shirokiya)

@tsakal Both right and left TB3 ports go through the PCH, referencing this post.

This post was modified 11 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@tsakal Intel U and Y processors only have PCI lanes available through the PCH. Intel H processors have direct CPU PCI lanes as well as PCI lanes through the PCH.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

So regarding egpu connection speed the 15 and 13 2018 mbp are the same?

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nipunaw
  • Prior to startup in Windows, disabling Root Port #9 AND Root Port #3 was required to achieve a more consistent initialization of the eGPU (regardless of the port employed). Note that disabling Root Port #3 disables the Broadcom wireless adapter but this can be re-enabled after GPU initialization OR if you don't care about wireless functionality, ethernet can be used via a USB C adapter without any issues.

Thanks for the tip! I was able to get Gaming Box RX 580 working on Boot Camp on MacBook Pro 2018 13" following @itsage's instruction. I disabled Ports #3 and #5 initially (so I can use the right side ports), then once the device was recognized, I'm able to keep Port #3 enabled.

One issue I have is that rEFInd doesn't show the macOS icon (just shows two Windows icons). I have to hold option at startup to be able to boot in macOS. Any idea why macOS is not showing up in rEFInd?

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2018, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB
eGPU: Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootcamp Windows 10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Vrk3ds
(@vrk3ds)

@itsage

Thank You for all of your hard work on this build guide.

I have a similar build and I am running into some challenges.

My hardware is as follows:
2018 Mac mini 32 gb
OSX Mojave 10.14.5
512 gb ssd
Akitio Node Pro
Vega Frontier Edition
Viewsonic 4k monitor connected to egpu
Viewsonic 4k monitor connected via HDMI on Mac mini
Latest build of Windows on external 750 gb SSD connected via tb3 (Akitio enclosure)

I have tried to use reFIND, and it simply will not load the boot screen? Did you run into any issues with installing it? I used the install script included with the zip file?
Did you have to do anything special to get it working?

When I boot normally via option into windows, it recognizes the egpu, switches the boot process to that display and disables the igpu.

Once Windows loads, it has fully recognized the egpu, and the display properties shows the second(igpu) as a second monitor, but is black(presumably not receiving a signal)

Any thoughts or ideas on any of this would be greatly appreciated

2018 Mac Mini 32gb 512 ssd
Akitio Node Pro with Vega Frontier Edition
Dual boot OSX and Bootcamp Windows via External SSD

ReplyQuote
 of  2