Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro + GTX [email protected] (GALAX/KFA2 SNPR) + W10 1803 [babao]  

RSS

babao
(@babao)
November 28, 2018 9:35 am  

System specs

Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, quad-core i5 and 8 gb RAM
Last Mojave Update
Last Windows 10 Update (1809)
Only using the internal monitor

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

GALAX/KFA2 SNPR with GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB (included)(bought here)
included 50 cm TB3 cable

Hardware pictures 

Visuals from the website are accurate : the enclosure is as common as in the picture

Installation steps 

I was able to start using the trick of plugging in the moment the Windows logo appears.

I only tried on the TB3 port on the left closest to the trackpad, as read everywhere here.

I absolutely did not need the steps proposed in the different installation guides, and I can use external hard disks and an external mouse on the other thunderbolt ports simultaneously.

Plug and play doesn't work at all.

Benchmarks

• Without the eGPU : ~13.000 points at 3dMark Vantage
  • With the eGPU : ~32.000 points at 3dMark Vantage (Old 2017 GPU driver automatically installed, Enclosure firmware V25)
  • With the eGPU : ~35.000 points at 3dMark Vantage (New driver from Nvidia's website, Enclosure firmware V27)

I'll add scores for a more "modern" benchmarks

Comments 

Everything works in a smoothly way, and when it was already smooth before it is now smooth and silent

Overall I am happy:

• The price is good (~200 € sales tax included, cheaper than the normal size GPU)
  • The eGPU is quiet (even during stress test, at max 75°C)
  • The eGPU is tiny - little box, around 1,3 kg
  • It works at 70% of the performance of a desktop version, which is not so bad (benchmarks for GeForce 1060 are usually around 50.000 points I guess)
  • That said, the boot works 2 times out of 3 times, and coming from the macOS universe it's quite painful to have to tinker like that with the cable...

Maybe the trick about installing a third party boot loader can fix this ? I'll see..

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote