Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" Macbook Pro [8th,4C,U] + R9 Fury [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) +...

2018 13" Macbook Pro [8th,4C,U] + R9 Fury [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14.2 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This is another build to replicate Thunderbolt 3 monitor output using an GC-ALPINE-RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 add-in-card and a $10 PCIe powered riser card. There's more details on the riser cards I tested in my Mantiz Venus + WX 9100 eGPU build. If you can't find the more affordable GC-ALPINE-RIDGE, the newer version GC-TITAN-RIDGE should work the same way.

I was cleaning and re-pasting my older graphics cards over Christmas break and noticed the R9 Fury X has remarkable build quality. It has a fat chip with four smaller HBM chips. Here are a couple photos I took of the die during cleaning.

System specs:

Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro – i5-8259U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/8GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Sonnet Breakaway Box + Radeon R9 Fury X + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable
HP Z27q 5K Monitor and ASUS MB16AC USB-C Portable Monitor
Choetech Thunderbolt 3 to 2x DisplayPort adapter + PCIe powered riser card

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

The Sonnet Breakaway Box's SFX power supply has a SATA power cable and a 4-pin Molex cable. I connected the PCIe powered riser card through Molex plug. I used a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter to verify TB3 monitor output because I don't have a Thunderbolt 3 monitor. Basically the R9 Fury X eGPU provided two DisplayPort signals to the AIC to produce Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. Then the Thunderbolt 3 adapter split this TB3 signal back to two DisplayPorts for the HP Z27q monitor. Keep in mid the R9 Fury X does not have native eGPU support in macOS. In order to use it with 10.14.2, I ran Purge-Wrangler script by @mac_editor and it worked right away.

I also connected a USB-C monitor via the same arrangement. The ASUS MB16AC drew power from the USB-C host which the AIC was able to provide alongside monitor output. There's enough room inside the Sonnet Breakaway Box for me to tuck these components inside. I routed the Thunderbolt 3 and DisplayPort cables through the gap atop the PCIe mounting bracket.

Comments:

Instead of spending a premium on the Blackmagic eGPU/Pro to get Thunderbolt 3 monitor output for LG UltraFine Displays, you can use these two components with almost all eGPU enclosures. The cost is about $60 to $110 for the Thunderbolt 3 AIC and PCIe powered riser adapter.

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

As a man with many enclosures are you able to list which ones this TB3 monitor powering method would work with? Assume the Razer Core isn't one of them. What about the ASUS?

Am I going crackers or did I read on here somewhere that the GC-ALPINE-RIDGE doesn't actually even need to be plugged into a PCIe slot to work? That sounds impossible? If I can't fit it in my Core what are the other powering options? I've seen that cheap enclosure which although it is cheaper than a TB3 its still a bit pricey...

This post was modified 7 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Great question. It comes down to powering the PCIe riser card. The one I found to work is PCE164P-N08 VER 009S that has two different power inputs. One is through the Molex plug and the other is through the 6-pin PCIe plug. I believe both the Razer Core and ASUS XG Station Pro can power this riser card through a PCIe splitter. Finding the room inside to fit components would be a bigger challenge. I will find time to test on ASUS XG Station Pro.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Cheers for that! I think I may have some splitters left over from my Hackintosh days, can't imagine there will be room for anything else in the core but will grab the bits to try... I guess I could run the splitter to the outside of the enclosure and build a custom enclosure for the add in card...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote