Mid 2018 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar+ GTX [email protected] (Razer Core v2) + W10 1803 [Ningauble77]  

RSS

Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
July 21, 2018 6:40 pm  

System specs:  2018 MacBook Pro 2018 Touchbar Core i7/16GB/1TB

Egpu Hardware: Razer Core v2 + ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo

Installation Steps:  Installed W10 from iso via boot camp assistant.  Hotplug egpu at windows logo to retain internal display/igpu functionality, or just boot with egpu connected for internal display stuck on boot logo/no igpu.  Egpu was not detected on back right port, front right port works fine.

Benchmarks:
3DMark Fire Strike
3DMark Time Spy
3DMark Time Spy Extreme
AIDA64:

Unigine Heaven 4.0:

Unigine Valley 1.0:

Cinebench 15:

Comments:  Experienced some throttling during Cinebench tests/3DMark Physics tests.  Running several games, all of which are not incredibly well multithreaded and tend to not hammer all 4 cores, CPU tends to stay pegged pretty well around 4.1Ghz.  Running AIDA64 FP64 CPU benchmark has yielded Kernel_Security_Check BSOD twice.  Prime95 285 was stable for 10 minutes, and came to an equilibrium frequency of about 2.7Ghz.

Non-egpu related performance/issues:
The intel iGpu is wonky in MacOS, with extremely noticeable stuttering in any 3d benchmark or game I have tried.  Overall fps is high (for an igpu anyway) but it lurches to a halting pause every second. iGpu works fine undocked in Windows.  Also, the Bootcamp Apple Audio driver works fine on speakers, but if I plug headphones in the volume is insanely loud and only comfortable at a setting of about 10, and there is massive latency on the onboard audio when using headphone jack output.  Games have about a 1s delay on effects, and watching youtube videos audio sync is bad enough to make them look like they were dubbed.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 21, 2018 7:08 pm  

Which version of Windows 10 did you install?

Edit: Nevermind, saw 1803 in the title.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
August 7, 2018 2:56 am  

Ok some updates:

MacOS stuttering/throttling issues were fixed with the supplemental MacOS update.  Bootcamp still has issues though.  Audio driver is still flaky, headphone output still has severe latency in games/video playback.

I installed the intel 24.20.100.6194 video drivers for the Iris Plus.  This made my stuttering low fps desktop issues when I close the lid and run clamshell when hotplugged go away.  I can run clamshell mode when hotplugging the egpu to keep the internal display active.

However, I have run into an even more annoying issue, which may predate my updating the intel driver.  When I hotplug to keep both displays active, I am randomly getting bursts of 3-15 seconds of very low fps randomly while gaming.  Things will run fine for sometimes hours or more then randomly everything grinds to an unplayable 7fps for anywhere from a couple seconds to 10-15 seconds, then go back to normal.  I've had this happen in multiple games.  I've run monitoring software to see what happens, and its not cpu throttling that I can tell, cpu usage goes way down and cpu frequency drops a bit.  GPU activity stays at 100 percent, but the GTX 1080 drops to idle clocks (139Mhz) for the duration of the fps drop.  I've tried messing with the power management settings and the gpu priority settings in both the nvidia control panel and the windows high powered gpu setting for the games, disabling all game dvr stuff in both windows and GeForce experience etc.  Its really annoying but happens infrequently enough that its hard to test for.  Closing or opening the lid on the laptop causes the games to immediately start running normally, at least for a while before the problem happens again.

As far as I can tell, if I boot windows with the egpu attached and without the igpu active, this problem does not occur at all.  I'm guessing it has something to do with Optimus or some other interaction with the igpu, but I'm kinda at a loss for things to try to eliminate the problem.

Overall I can't complain, the games I run run much much better on the i7-8559u than my previous i7-6700hq, but the random fps drops have made me run external monitor only while gaming in windows for now.  My old 15" was slightly more difficult to set up and I lost half my TB3 ports in windows, but I never ran into any unusual behavior in games etc.

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member
August 7, 2018 9:45 am  

@ningauble77 thanks for your update. Would you run a post-update Cinebench for me? I'm facing the decision which MacBook to buy and atm my favorite is exactly your spec. thanks a lot! 😊

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
August 7, 2018 1:31 pm  

Ok, here is a CB15 run with long term and short term turbo set to 34W in Intel XTU:

It's a little faster than without the power limits. I'm seeing better performance in MacOS with Apple's full Thermal/Power Management active instead of my primitive hack (up to 720 in multi-core test in MacOS).  These results are pretty sustainable now.  Multi-Core is lower than some i5 results I've seen, not sure if those were achieved with the fan speeds forced higher, ambient temp differences, or silicon lottery.

nanoBit liked
ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member
August 7, 2018 2:42 pm  

Thank you again! Looks pretty promising, I think I‘ll go for the i7, too.

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
August 7, 2018 4:28 pm  

Here are the results under MacOS, with the better Power Management the Firmware/OS afford:

ReplyQuote