Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar+ RX Vega [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + W10 1803 [theitsage]  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 29, 2018 3:08 am  

This build serves as an update to the eGPU Boot Camp setup guide. I can confirm the 2018 Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro works similarly as 2016 and 2017 models. My hunch is the Apple T2 chip as Secure Boot may interfere with the booting process into Windows with an eGPU attached. While Nvidia eGPU may work with these 2018 MBP plug-and-play, AMD eGPU is a much different experience, mainly error 12 due to not enough allocated resources to the eGPU. I'm now able to run RX Vega 56 as well as RX 580 eGPU in internal display mode with this 2018 13" MBP.

System specs:

2018 13" QC MacBook Pro - i5-8259U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Mantiz Venus + Radeon RX Vega 56 + AKiTiO 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Below are the step by step process I took to set up my 2018 13" MacBook Pro for AMD eGPU:

• Boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP through Terminal. Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media [in Option Boot]
  • Download Windows 10 ISO and install through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS and Windows]
  • Complete Boot Camp driver installation then open Device Manager to disable PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9DB0 (to right Thunderbolt 3 ports) [in Windows]
  • Download and install rEFInd then mount EFI partition to enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 [in macOS]
  • Connect eGPU to the left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to display hinge then hit POWER button[Computer off]
  • Select Windows volume then hit ENTER [in rEFInd Boot]
  • Wait for Windows to complete booting and detect eGPU as well as auto-install of drivers [in Windows]

If all goes well, you should see AMD Xconnect notification and icon. During my trial and error process, the AMD eGPU can actually work on either side Thunderbolt 3 port. You need to disable the TB3 controller of opposing side. I found using the left TB3 port closest to the display hinge works most reliable. Here are screen captures of Device Manager to show the PCIe controllers.

AIDA and HWiNFO screen captures.

Benchmarks:

I ran Unigine benchmarks in internal display and external monitor:

Internal Display External Monitor

Comments:

If you have a 2018 13" MBP and AMD eGPU, give this procedure a try and let us know how it works. Once I have more success reports, I will update the Boot Camp eGPU setup guide. I've tried with the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box as well as AKiTiO Node Pro + WX 9100 and got the same success.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

Eightarmedpet, ikir, bonsaielectric and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 29, 2018 4:42 am  

@itsage, thank you for the update.  One minor optimization courtesy of rEFInd's Aug-2017 spoof_osx_version  update.  Did  you want to set the spoof_osx_version token in the refind.conf  to eliminate the apple_set_os.efi loading step?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 29, 2018 3:32 pm  

@nando4 Thank you for this tip. I used the built-in spoof_osx_version and it worked great! In the process, I implemented eGPU.io theme for rEFInd as well. Here are some screen captures and basic instructions to replicate these changes in rEFInd for eGPU Boot Camp.

• Mount the EFI partition with Terminal then open refind.conf with a text editor
  • Locate and remove # from spoof_osx_version 10.9
  • Add include themes/rEFInd-egpu/theme.conf to the bottom of refind.conf
  • Download @eightarmedpet's custom eGPU.io theme & backgrounds
  • Extract rEFInd-egpu folder into rEFInd's themes folder (create this folder if it's not there)
  • Open the correct background size (my 13" MBP uses 1600 file) in Preview then export to background.png
  • Move and override the background.png in the rEFInd-egpu folder

Reboot and you'll see this rEFInd boot selection screen. You can then simply pick the boot volume you want. I will try to incorporate @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI next.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 30, 2018 7:39 pm  

@eightarmedpet I'm looking forward to see your build guide with an AMD eGPU + LG Ultrafine. I will find time and document a step-by-step procedure to install rEFInd, mount ESP partition, enable spoof_osx_version, and add custom theme. It's been rather fragmented with bits all over.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
July 30, 2018 8:56 pm  

@itsage with the latest Windows (and previous ones to be honest) and macOS releases it should be possible to power apps on the LG 5K regardless of whether the screens plugged into it or not...

Now if it wasn't for that pesky error 12.

edit: followed the above instructions and for rEFInd working simply and quickly (manual instal, had to add "sudo" to one of the commands to get privileges), nice to see the custom theme on startup too! Only prob is, well, the usual in W10, using rEFInd results in black screen on the 5K, forgot rEFInd did that as well as apple_set_os... 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor
August 4, 2018 10:09 am  

Does it mean that we actually no need for the apple_set_oc? what will be the difference between the remove # VS load from the apple_set_oc ?

Mantiz: ShopFacebookTwitter

ReplyQuote
manzanita
(@manzanita)
August 6, 2018 10:47 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@nando4 Thank you for this tip. I used the built-in spoof_osx_version and it worked great! In the process, I implemented eGPU.io theme for rEFInd as well. Here are some screen captures and basic instructions to replicate these changes in rEFInd for eGPU Boot Camp.

• Mount the EFI partition with Terminal then open refind.conf with a text editor

Sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, currently I´m not in front of my machine. Do you mean ONLY remove the "#" and then leave the line spoof_osx_version 10.9 in the refind.conf file?
Many Thanks

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 7, 2018 2:55 am  

@mymantiz_john Yes no need for apple_set_os.efi once you enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 in rewind.conf. You simply boot up, select Windows and hit Enter.

@manzanita You are correct.

ReplyQuote
blisster138
(@blisster138)
August 7, 2018 3:10 am  

Excellent guidance. I have a Razer Core X and the only piece I'm missing at this point is the rEFInd.conf. Will install the boot loader and see if bootcamp will finally recognize my RX Vega 64. Runs like a champ under Mac OS but bootcamping for games would be my holy grail of portable computing.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
keigano
(@keigano)
August 8, 2018 3:45 pm  

hey thanks for the howto so far.

i got issues with the overall sound experience. (meaning the internal 3,5 jack with headphones and microphone y splitter cable)
sometimes the sound just vanish, out of the blue, no matter if the mbp is idle or under load. i also got latency problems. any idea what it could be?

i tried to message you theitsage, but i couldnt, guess its because im a newb.

thanks
greetings
keigano

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
August 8, 2018 5:50 pm  

@itsage how is your wi-fi performance in Windows Bootcamp? My connection stutters like crazy in games like Overwatch. For example, my latency constantly goes from 60ms – 120ms and bounces back and forth.

Any idea what might be the problem? I'm not sure if the network drivers that come with Bootcamp are the issue or not. Or if the Network Card is fighting with the eGPU for resources? I'm not sure. 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 9, 2018 3:35 pm  

I've been trying to solve error 12 in Boot Camp following 10.14 Beta update. It's a no go so far. The older Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pros like my 2016 15" works fine after Mojave firmware update. I will return this 2018 13" MBP soon and focus on more fruitful testings.

If you have a 2018 MBP, DO NOT upgrade to Mojave. We need to learn more about the Apple T2 chip and its adverse effects on existing as well as future eGPU workarounds.

ReplyQuote
nipunaw
(@nipunaw)
August 14, 2018 2:48 am  

@itsage
Just wanted to weigh in with my own success report (sorta). My hardware and software is as follows:

Hardware

• 2018 Macbook Pro 13" w/ Touchbar (i7, 16GB, 500GB SSD)
  • Sonnet 350W Breakaway Box (outfitted w/ Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB Card)
  • Acer SB220Q Monitor
  • Nekteck USB A 3.0 Hub Type C Ethernet Adapter, USB Keyboard, and USB Mouse

Software

• Dual-boot High Sierra 10.13.6 (with thermal throttling patch) and Windows 1803 via Bootcamp
  • rEFInd Boot Manager
  • Epic Games/Fortnite on Windows 1803 for testing purposes

So I followed your guide to the T and after 1-2 restarts on Windows 1803, I was able to get the eGPU to properly recognize via XConnect. That being said, I had a few issues - inside and outside Windows - (most of which have workarounds) that I'll try to be as specific and comprehensive about below:

• Prior to startup in Windows, disabling Root Port #9 AND Root Port #3 was required to achieve a more consistent initialization of the eGPU (regardless of the port employed). Note that disabling Root Port #3 disables the Broadcom wireless adapter but this can be re-enabled after GPU initialization OR if you don't care about wireless functionality, ethernet can be used via a USB C adapter without any issues.
  • Switching from MacOS to Windows sometimes prevents initialization of GPU despite following the above step. Shutdown and startup is an easy fix.
  • When restarting from Windows back to the rEFInd boot manager (OR directly into MacOS via Bootcamp Application), keyboard and trackpad were disabled. After some time, rEFInd will automatically boot back into your first boot option - if that's Windows, keyboard/trackpad will be re-enabled (any other boot option will have the keyboard/trackpad disabled).  To avoid this, instead of restarting, make sure to shutdown in Windows before startup or else you'll have to manually shutdown.
  • On occasion, rEFInd boot manager would stall on a blank single-color screen after selection of MacOS. This would lead to a very slow startup of MacOS and freezing after an attempted login. After manual shutdown and startup, MacOS usually boots at normal speed with normal functionality. Alternatively, you can also restart into MacOS directly from Windows (but you'll likely have to mess around with the boot order of rEFInd after doing this). I believe this is a well-documented issue, so if someone could point me in the right direction as far as a proper solution (since I haven't gotten around to looking into it), please do so. 
  • Cannot get ONLY external display to show on Windows without some weird stutters every few seconds (NOT frame drops). This was really unfortunate because by duplicating displays, I achieve only 50-60 FPS on Fortnite (all high settings), but I can hit upwards of 80-95FPS if I disable my internal display (which makes sense since I'm halving the graphical load) and somewhere in between if I extend my displays.  I fixed this by disabling the Intel Iris Graphics altogether and now I can just use my external display without stutter.

Most of the above issues I have workarounds for, but obviously they're not perfect. MacOS High Sierra has a lot better compatibility (and I probably should do some testing over there as well). On a side note, if you're hoping to use any headset+microphone combo over a TRRS connector on Windows Bootcamp, your mileage may vary. For me and many others, there are microphone issues that have had no known fixes for several years. Currently my microphone issue is exactly the same as the user who made this thread:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8486692. I ordered a USB-C dongle (USB works too if you have a Hub) that should remedy this issue.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 14, 2018 2:59 am  

@nipunaw It's definitely not perfect in Boot Camp. What I noticed is that a full shut down is better than restart. Whenever there's eGPU detection/initialization issues in Windows, I would shut the MBP down, unplug the TB3 cable and turn off eGPU. My next boot up starts with powering on the eGPU, plugging in the TB3 cable, then powering on the MBP (no need for last step if eGPU enclosure provides 45W or more).

ReplyQuote
nipunaw
(@nipunaw)
August 14, 2018 3:10 am  

@nipunaw It's definitely not perfect in Boot Camp. What I noticed is that a full shut down is better than restart. Whenever there's eGPU detection/initialization issue in Windows, I would shut the MBP down, unplug the TB3 cable and turn off eGPU. My next boot up starts with powering on the eGPU, plugging in the TB3 cable, then powering on the MBP (no need for last step if eGPU enclosure provides 45W or more).

I totally understand and I'm pretty content with the workarounds I have in place now. A few questions though.

• Did you experience any similar issues running ONLY the external display on Windows Bootcamp (occasioned stutters when both Intel and AMD graphics are enabled)
  • Have you had any similar issues in rEFInd (trackpad/keyboard disabling after restarting from Windows and MacOS slow boots)
  • Since the thermal throttling patch is only for MacOS, what steps have you yourself taken to ensure less thermal throttling on Windows. I understand many people are using Intel XTU in order to reduce this until a more sophisticated solution comes out (apparently the issue is related to the VRM), but I'm interested to see your specific setup.

Thank you for your contribution.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 14, 2018 3:22 am  

I have not tried turning off the internal display in Windows. I always set the external monitor as the primary screen when I have it connect through the eGPU. PCI Express Root Port #5 and #9 were the only two I disabled interchangeably to resolve error 12. I never disabled PCIe Root Port #3 so I can't comment. PCIe Root Port #13 hosts the keyboard and trackpad. I wonder if the Nekteck USB-C hub you have is causing these behaviors. I only boot the MBP up with only eGPU attached.

Regarding the thermal issues of these 2018 MacBook Pros, I observed very high temps when doing seemingly mundane tasks. It's the main reason I returned it. Apple tends to set the cooling fans to kick in later than most would like. In due time they will have to address the cooling performance.

ReplyQuote
(@mostlikelynotarobot)
August 22, 2018 4:17 am  

Hey @itsage, did you have any issues with sleep mode in macOS while running this build? I followed this guide (super helpful btw) and the eGPU works great in Bootcamp, but when in macOS, the GPU will spin up loudly and frequently while the Mac is asleep.

Someone else describes a similar issue here, but my fans spin up much more frequently than the other person describes.

2018 MacBook Pro 13" | Mantiz Venus | RX 580 8GB

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor
August 22, 2018 9:48 am  
Posted by: mostlikelynotarobot

Hey @itsage, did you have any issues with sleep mode in macOS while running this build? I followed this guide (super helpful btw) and the eGPU works great in Bootcamp, but when in macOS, the GPU will spin up loudly and frequently while the Mac is asleep.

Someone else describes a similar issue here, but my fans spin up much more frequently than the other person describes.

Intel had detected this issue too, they are going to release a signed FW to fix that, it is related with the MBP 2018 FW behavior.

Mantiz: ShopFacebookTwitter

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
August 23, 2018 6:30 pm  
Posted by: nipunaw

@itsage
Just wanted to weigh in with my own success report (sorta). My hardware and software is as follows:

Hardware

• 2018 Macbook Pro 13" w/ Touchbar (i7, 16GB, 500GB SSD)
  • Sonnet 350W Breakaway Box (outfitted w/ Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB Card)
  • Acer SB220Q Monitor
  • Nekteck USB A 3.0 Hub Type C Ethernet Adapter, USB Keyboard, and USB Mouse

@nipunaw I have a very similar build to you and I mostly use Windows Bootcamp on my External Display (View only on Display 2 in the Display Settings).

• 2018 MacBook Pro 13" w/Touchbar (i7, 16gb, 500gb SSD)
  • Razer Core X with Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
  • Apple Cinema Display
  • Satechi Aluminum Type-C Multimedia Adapter with 4K HDMI, mini DisplayPort, USB-C PD, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, Micro/SD Card

I've disconnected PCI Express Root Port #5 (on the left side) and the iSight Camera to beat Error 12. Works like a charm.

I do get the occasional stuttering on my display during Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. However, that is more of a latency issue. Ping constantly rubber bands from 50ms to 150ms.

How is your performance over wireless internet? I suspect that the USB Type-C Media Adapter is messing with my Wireless Adapter. I'm going to try using a wired ethernet connection and see if it makes any difference.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
August 27, 2018 6:09 am  

I will try to incorporate @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI next.

@itsage

New here, so pardon my ignorance. I was looking at the thread for this (automate-eGPU-EFI) and it seemed to be most applicable to getting Nvidia cards working on macOS. Am I missing something or does it also include a solution for AMD cards on Windows?

I have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro with an RX Vega 64 (Razer Core X) that I'd like to get working in Windows via Boot Camp. Haven't started that process yet, but I've been looking at various build guides. I would prefer to keep SIP and Secure Boot enabled if possible and it looks like this is indeed the case with v1.0.5. AMD eGPU support also appears to be included.

Could you please clarify?

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
August 27, 2018 4:53 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Just try it. Plenty of people have reported plug and play with the 15’s. If it doesn’t work then start with the most basic fix and work up...

Haven't seen a single person report plug-and-play success with that model in Windows using an AMD card. Can you point me to some examples?

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
August 27, 2018 5:22 pm  
Posted by: TheJizel

@itsage

New here, so pardon my ignorance. I was looking at the thread for this (automate-eGPU-EFI) and it seemed to be most applicable to getting Nvidia cards working on macOS. Am I missing something or does it also include a solution for AMD cards on Windows?

I have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro with an RX Vega 64 (Razer Core X) that I'd like to get working in Windows via Boot Camp. Haven't started that process yet, but I've been looking at various build guides. I would prefer to keep SIP and Secure Boot enabled if possible and it looks like this is indeed the case with v1.0.5. AMD eGPU support also appears to be included.

Unfortunately, automate-eGPU EFI is focused on macOS. Windows is not on the priority list.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
August 27, 2018 9:16 pm  
Posted by: goalque

@itsage

Unfortunately, automate-eGPU EFI is focused on macOS. Windows is not on the priority list.

Got it. That's exactly what I thought.

So just out of curiosity, what did he mean when he said he would try to incorporate it? Seems non-applicable for this build.

ReplyQuote
kobazik
(@kobazik)
August 28, 2018 8:21 pm  

"rEFInd boot manager would stall on a blank single-color screen after selection of MacOS"

"When restarting from Windows back to the rEFInd boot manager (OR directly into MacOS via Bootcamp Application), keyboard and trackpad were disabled."

I having exactly same issue with my 2018 13" MBP (i7 ,16GB ram, 1TB SSD) + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64

Waiting on LG 32U99 screen to be delivered tomorrow so I can test it with external display.

ReplyQuote
Mactastic08
(@mactastic08)
September 4, 2018 4:04 pm  

Did you get a chance to try out the build with an external display?

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + FE GTX1080Ti GAMING [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member
September 5, 2018 3:33 am  

I have been messing around with the 13" MBP 2018 and have found the eGPU setup easy. (Hate that I have to disconnect and reconnect each time at boot)

Have a problem though.

When the eGPU is connected and running, it crashes/BSOD when I connect my Samsung T5 external SSD.

Is it really using all the resources for the eGPU?

Have the eGPU plugged into the top port on the (Tab) side of the computer.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
September 5, 2018 4:37 am  

@maven Try the right side ports for eGPU, and the left ones for your SSD. Plug in eGPU first.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage and Maven liked
ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member
September 5, 2018 8:25 am  
Posted by: mac_editor

@maven Try the right side ports for eGPU, and the left ones for your SSD. Plug in eGPU first.

Flawless victory!

Thank you 🙂

Now to be able to boot with the cable attached between Windows and OSX.....

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
September 5, 2018 10:08 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Just try it. Plenty of people have reported plug and play with the 15’s. If it doesn’t work then start with the most basic fix and work up...

Haven't seen a single person report plug-and-play success with that model in Windows using an AMD card. Can you point me to some examples?

Here ya go buddy... but I have seen others...

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/93uxbk/my_setup_2018_15_macbook_pro_razer_core_x_vega_64/?st=jloz94by&sh=461ca2da

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 5, 2018 3:54 pm  

@eightarmedpet I read through the reddit post. The OP never mentioned/expanded on whether Windows worked plug-and-play.

With my own testings and reports from others, I would say AMD eGPU is still a challenge in Boot Camp. The only scenario when it was relatively plug-and-play was to hot-plug in after Windows fully loaded. The dGPU would be errored out but the AMD eGPU might eventually work.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 5, 2018 4:26 pm  

@eightarmedpet I read through the reddit post. The OP never mentioned/expanded on whether Windows worked plug-and-play.

Right. Key word here is "Windows" as I'm well aware macOS is plug-and-play for AMD cards and have had no problems on that side.

FWIW, I did give it one shot so far and got a black screen that I could never recover from so had to wipe it out. I haven't tried since, but I hear some people saying that the new updates allow for plug-and-play in Boot Camp now, so I'm gonna try to attempt again later this week or this weekend to see if I can verify.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 5, 2018 4:45 pm  

@thejizel Read my build guide with the 2018 15" MacBook Pro for the steps to connect AMD eGPU in Windows. Starting with a clean install of Windows is a good idea. At this time, plugging the eGPU prior to booting the computer will render the internal display black. You'll have to hot-plug the AMD eGPU once Windows fully loads. The right TB3 port closest to the display hinges is the most eGPU-friendly one I found.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 5, 2018 4:48 pm  

@thejizel Read my build guide with the 2018 15" MacBook Pro for the steps to connect AMD eGPU in Windows. Starting with a clean install of Windows is a good idea. At this time, plugging the eGPU prior to booting the computer will render the internal display black. You'll have to hot-plug the AMD eGPU once Windows fully loads. The right TB3 port closest to the display hinges is the most eGPU-friendly one I found.

I actually did plug it in after Windows fully loaded and still got the black display, but I'll try again. I was also using the left ports, so we'll see if the right side changes anything.

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
September 6, 2018 5:56 am  

Argh, you’re totally right, I read a few 2017 model reports of plug and play and but that  post contains no info, I blame having a few gins the other night, maybe I read it was just Nvidia cards that worked plug and play in Windows.... or maybe all my error 12 issues have finally driven me nuts.

---

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next