Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro + WX [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Pro) + W10 1803 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 29, 2018 10:00 pm  

I'm testing more eGPU enclosures + AMD cards to make sure the Boot Camp eGPU setup guide can be replicated on the 2018 Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro. This time I paired the AKiTiO Node Pro to the Radeon Pro WX 9100 and installed Radeon Pro drivers in Win10 1803.

System specs:

2018 13" QC MacBook Pro - i5-8259U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

AKiTiO Node Pro + Radeon Pro WX 9100 + AKiTiO 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Below are the step by step process I took to set up my 2018 13" MacBook Pro for the Radeon Pro WX 9100 eGPU:

• Boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP through Terminal. Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media [in Option Boot]
  • Download Windows 10 ISO and install through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS and Windows]
  • Complete Boot Camp driver installation then open Device Manager to disable PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9DB0 (to right Thunderbolt 3 ports) [in Windows]
  • Download and install rEFInd then mount EFI partition to enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 [in macOS]
  • Connect eGPU to the left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to display hinge then hit POWER button [Computer off]
  • Select Windows volume then hit ENTER [in rEFInd Boot]
  • Wait for Windows to complete booting and open Device Manager to verify there's a second Display Adapter. [in Windows]
  • Proceed to download and install Radeon Pro drivers [in Windows]

If all goes well, you should see AMD Xconnect notification and icon. During my trial and error process, the AMD eGPU can actually work on either side Thunderbolt 3 ports. You need to disable the TB3 controller of opposing side. I found using the left TB3 port closest to the display hinge works most reliable. Here are screen captures of AIDA and HWiNFO.

Benchmarks:

I connected an external SSD to the second Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port of the Node Pro. I also connected the LG 4K monitor to the DisplayPort on the Node Pro as seen in the photo below. The external SSD contains Specview benchmark and Steam games. Windows was able to accelerate the LG 4K monitor through the Node Pro's DisplayPort with the WX 9100 eGPU. The performance is likely similar to internal display acceleration.

Comments:

If you have a 2018 13" MBP and AMD eGPU, give this procedure a try and let us know how it works. Once I have more success reports, I will update the Boot Camp eGPU setup guide. I had success with Mantiz Venus + RX Vega 56 and Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box yesterday.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
July 30, 2018 1:20 am  

The LG 4K doesn't lower the H2D when connected to the Node Pro because it's only one 4K display? Might be interesting to see two 4K displays connected to the Node Pro.

Looks like the 2018 MacBook Pro uses a different Titan Ridge (4C) than the Blackmagic eGPU (DD). Can you show the USB controller of the Titan Ridge in the 2018 MacBook Pro?

Your screen shots don't show the SSD. Is it USB 3.1 gen 2, USB 3.1 gen 1, or Thunderbolt?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2018 2:56 am  

@itsage — Awesome, thanks for sharing Sage! I've got a quick question for you. Is it necessary to 1. Disable SIP and 2. Install rEFInd if I plan on hot-plugging the eGPU?

It looks like AMD Cards should work fine after disabling the right Thunderbolt 3 Ports and connecting the eGPU at the spinning dots. Lemme know. Thx! 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
kstl
 kstl
(@kstl)
July 30, 2018 4:09 am  

This is awesome! Gives me hope that I can get my setup working, since I have the same enclosure/MBP combo. I'll give these steps a shot in a few days and see how it works out. 

This is pretty similar to the steps I'd already followed, but didn't see any results, I *think* because I'm running the Mojave beta. Might see if I can return this MBP and exchange for an identical unit and try the steps again running High Sierra efi.

2018 13" MBP TouchBar + RX580- [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Pro) + 10.14b & Win10
20" Apple Cinema Display

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2018 6:56 am  

@itsage — So I overcame Error 12 by Disabling the Thunderbolt Ports on the right side and Disabling the iSight Camera (2018 13" MBP TouchBar with Razer Core X and RX580).

But, the Internal Display stopped working for some reason. It's currently stuck on the Windows Logo. Any idea how to fix this? I can only see the RX580 in the Device Manager. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 30, 2018 12:41 pm  

@joevt3 I got a second LG 4K 27" monitor and will try connecting them both to the AKiTiO Node Pro then measure bandwidth through AIDA. The external SSD I used for Steam game storage is USB 3.1 gen 1. I'll expand the 2018 MacBook Pro's USB controllers in HWiNFO and post a screen capture.

@notorious826 The stuck internal display is due to Windows detected the AMD eGPU during boot and stopped the iGPU. This happens when you either hot plug the AMD eGPU at the Windows logo circle dots or cold boot with the AMD eGPU attached. You'd need a way to fool the Mac firmware into thinking you're booting into macOS so that the iGPU stays activated. There are two options. To avoid disabling SIP, you can load apple_set_os.efi onto a thumb drive. The other one is to disable SIP then install rEFInd.

Paging @eightarmedpet, the eGPU enclosure you need all along might be the AKiTiO Node Pro. As can be seen in my arrangement of LG 4K monitor eGPU acceleration via the enclosure's DisplayPort, it's likely possible to do the same for Ultrafine 5K via the second Thunderbolt 3 port. I'll test this theory by conencting the Mantiz Titan TB3 dock to this second TB3 port and power two 27" LG 4K monitors.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2018 3:24 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@notorious826 The stuck internal display is due to Windows detected the AMD eGPU during boot and stopped the iGPU. This happens when you either hot plug the AMD eGPU at the Windows logo circle dots or cold boot with the AMD eGPU attached. You'd need a way to fool the Mac firmware into thinking you're booting into macOS so that the iGPU stays activated. There are two options. To avoid disabling SIP, you can load apple_set_os.efi onto a thumb drive. The other one is to disable SIP then install rEFInd.

Thanks @itsage. I managed to get it working by repeating the following steps.

0. Install apple_set_os.efi on a USB Stick
1. Cold Boot into OSX 10.13.6
2. Plug in Razer Core X with Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
3. Go into System Preferences and set Startup Disk to BOOTCAMP
4. Click Restart... and reboot into loading screen
5. Hold down Option key after Apple Logo and select EFI Boot 
6. Windows detects eGPU and Integrated Graphics stay on Internal Monitor

Is there an easier way to get this working without setting the Startup Disk every time in OSX? If I select EFI Boot from loading screen on a cold boot it doesn't seem to work for some reason.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 30, 2018 3:34 pm  

The system should remember Windows boot volume was blessed to be the default. I'm not sure why it doesn't retain that settings for you. Have you made changes to Secure Boot? My recommendation is to use rEFInd. It's a clean boot up process once you get things sorted out. On my 2018 13" MBP, I see this rEFInd boot screen every time I power on the laptop. I simply pick either Windows or macOS boot volume then press ENTER.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2018 4:48 pm  

@itsage Ya, I'm not sure. I changed the Secure Boot mode to No Security (like you suggested) but the apple_set_os.efi hasn't been very reliable for me. It only seems to work half of the time.

I'll try doing a clean install of Bootcamp tonight with rEFInd. I was just a little worried because I didn't want to mess up my Laptop. @itsage is there an alternative way to install rEFInd on an External USB Stick to avoid damaging the main OSX?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
July 30, 2018 7:16 pm  

I missed that mention somehow but came here for those great set up pics... Lovely looking rEFInd screen too.
You think the extra port will work? Surely thats too good to be true? 

Loving all these new set up write ups btw, you mention Nvidia eGPUs being hot pluggable in W10 now, do you think thats macOS firmware based of something to do with the latest Windows build?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 30, 2018 7:25 pm  

@eightarmedpet The hotplug detection definitely has to do with the Mac firmware. I was never able to do that with 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro. I will try with my 2016 15" MBP this week once I update to 10.14 Beta. It just got back from repair.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 31, 2018 12:56 am  
Posted by: joevt

The LG 4K doesn't lower the H2D when connected to the Node Pro because it's only one 4K display? Might be interesting to see two 4K displays connected to the Node Pro.

Looks like the 2018 MacBook Pro uses a different Titan Ridge (4C) than the Blackmagic eGPU (DD). Can you show the USB controller of the Titan Ridge in the 2018 MacBook Pro?

Your screen shots don't show the SSD. Is it USB 3.1 gen 2, USB 3.1 gen 1, or Thunderbolt?

I connected two LG 27" 4K monitors via the AKiTIO Node Pro. The initial plan was to run both monitors via DisplayPort cables off the Mantiz Titan via the second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Node Pro. macOS could only detect and run one of the two monitors this way. I ended up connecting the second 4K monitor to the DisplayPort on the Node Pro.

In macOS, I ran CL!ng to check bandwidth. Arranged from left to right is no display connected, one 4K monitor connected, and two 4K monitors connected.

Next was to test in Windows through Boot Camp. This was even worse because the second monitor was not detected. When I tried to run AIDA, the eGPU got disconnected. This is not a Windows issue but rather Mac firmware issue. I was able to run my initial plan with the Alienware 13 R3 with ease. The second TB3 port powered both 4K monitors via the Mantiz Titan dock. Here are the AIDA screen captures in the same arrangement: no display connected, one 4K monitor connected, and two 4K monitors connected.

Last but not least is the HWiNFO screen capture.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
July 31, 2018 3:37 am  

There's something wrong with the CL!ing Pinned D2H numbers - they are exactly the same as the H2D numbers. The Paged numbers are more reasonable. What's the difference between Pinned and Paged?

The H2D numbers are lower in macOS. Maybe it's just a difference in benchmarks (CL!ing vs AIDA64)? Or is it possibly the displays are running as 10 bit in macOS and 8 bit in Windows? SwitchResX can change the bit depth of the display frame buffer even if your display doesn't support 10 bit but I don't know if a graphics card will send 10 bit DisplayPort to a 8 bit display. Anyway, switching between 8 bit and 10 bit will affect H2D numbers if your display supports 10 bit.

I wonder if the problems with the Mantiz Titan dock (which has USB and Ethernet controllers that require PCIe) would occur with a simple Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter (a Thunderbolt 3 device that does not use PCIe at all).

Thanks for the screen shot. I see the 8086:15EB device  "JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]" but not the USB controller which I expect to see at bus #6 or #7 (which ever is device 2 of bus 4, as device 0 is usually the NHI, device 1 is usually the Thunderbolt port 1, and device 4 is usually Thunderbolt port 2). I guess you need to connect a USB device for the USB controller to be enabled and visible? That might cause Windows to barf if it doesn't have PCIe resources for the USB controller? You might consider showing screenshots from IORegistryExplorer.app to show the device tree in the Thunderbolt area if Windows has problems.

Strange that HWiNFO shows 2.5 GT/s for current link speed. Does Titan Ridge have an idle mode like graphics cards? Does it go to 8 GT/s when doing AIDA64? My pcitree.sh script will show current/max link speeds for most PCIe devices in macOS so you can see where there are bottlenecks (except the DMI doesn't show as a PCIe device, you can't see which devices are connected to the CPU and which to the PCH, and not all chipset devices show a link speed - they are PCI instead of PCIe or a type that doesn't have link speed?).

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2018 4:54 pm  
Posted by: Notorious826

@itsage Ya, I'm not sure. I changed the Secure Boot mode to No Security (like you suggested) but the apple_set_os.efi hasn't been very reliable for me. It only seems to work half of the time.

I'll try doing a clean install of Bootcamp tonight with rEFInd. I was just a little worried because I didn't want to mess up my Laptop. @itsage is there an alternative way to install rEFInd on an External USB Stick to avoid damaging the main OSX?

@itsage Hey guys — just wanted to follow up on my previous post. I managed to get everything working in Windows 10 Bootcamp flawlessly. And I set up a bunch of Restore Points to make sure nothing breaks.

Long story short. I had to go back and run DDU to uninstall all the AMD, Nvidia, and Intel Drivers. After that, I rebooted and Windows automatically detected the eGPU and reinstalled the drivers. Now apple_set_os.efi is working really stable off my USB Stick and the iGPU is running without and problems  🙂 

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 2, 2018 2:47 pm  

I installed Mojave Beta 5 on this 2018 MacBook Pro last night. As reported by some members, the newer firmware in Mojave removes "Large Memory" from Windows in Boot Camp. Mojave also causes issues with rEFInd and apple_set_os.efi. Don't upgrade to 10.14 if you want to use Windows.

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member
August 2, 2018 5:59 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I installed Mojave Beta 5 on this 2018 MacBook Pro last night. As reported by some members, the newer firmware in Mojave removes "Large Memory" from Windows in Boot Camp. Mojave also causes issues with rEFInd and apple_set_os.efi. Don't upgrade to 10.14 if you want to use Windows.

And that’s why I stuffed my 1070 back in my desktop build and purchased a RX 580 for the Sonnet 550. Granted Mojave is still in beta and things can change by the time it releases to the public, but I’d rather have a functional eGPU on macOS side that I can now prioritize with FCP. I’ll game on my desktop build for now.

2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote