Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro...

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

solocamper
(@solocamper)

Well I want the 13 inch lanes to connect to the cpu. What do I do?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

@itsage is the DMI a bottleneck? I'm facing the same decision, 13 vs 15 inch 😕 

@solocamper you can't, it is a physical connection.

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

Anorak liked
ReplyQuote
MacUser2
(@macuser2)

Here is sample of my 2018 13inch i7, throttling does seem to be an issue.
Getting the EGPU to work is a lot more easier than my 2016 was.

https://ibb.co/dHK41y

MacBook Pro 13 inch i5 2016 & MacBook 13 inch w/Touch Bar 2018 i7 - EVGA GTX 1070 SC razor core V2

nanoBit liked
ReplyQuote
(@malthe_elkaer)

What has changed between the 2016 and 2018 13" models that makes it easier to set up?

Also, it is amazing that we finally have laptop chips suited for thin 13" devices that are beating my desktop's i5 2500k.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Macuser2 would it be possible for you to download and run Unigine valley in basic preset mode for a minute or two undocked on the intel iris graphics?  Mine stutters horribly in pretty much any 3d game or benchmark while mobile, not sure if this is another power limit throttling issue or not.  I haven't seen anyone complaining about this with the i5, but I've been through 2 i7 13 inch MacBook Pros and both have this problem.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1903/MacOS 10.14.6
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

@MacUser2 thank you very much for the benchmark! Did you already set a power consumption limit or is the benchmark above regulated by the system?
actually the i7 doesn‘t seem to offer a speed improvement versus the i5, which also scores at just about 600 in Cinebench (without a power limit)

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
MacUser2
(@macuser2)

Posted by: Ningauble77

Macuser2 would it be possible for you to download and run Unigine valley in basic preset mode for a minute or two undocked on the intel iris graphics?  Mine stutters horribly in pretty much any 3d game or benchmark while mobile, not sure if this is another power limit throttling issue or not.  I haven't seen anyone complaining about this with the i5, but I've been through 2 i7 13 inch MacBook Pros and both have this problem.

I'll give it a go later when i have a min.

@nanoBit the benchmark is pretty much out of the box no tinkering with it, was gonna try and look at under volting.
The CPU only goes above 4ghz for a couple of secs before it starts to throttle and drops.
Not really thrilled about this issue, I saw on the previous pages that an i5 was doing a lot better.

MacBook Pro 13 inch i5 2016 & MacBook 13 inch w/Touch Bar 2018 i7 - EVGA GTX 1070 SC razor core V2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Nice work on the new set up. I’m sure with Mac fan control you can keep temps down. Nice to see simple Bootcamp set up with Nvidia too.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Posted by: MacUser2

I'll give it a go later when i have a min.

@nanoBit the benchmark is pretty much out of the box no tinkering with it, was gonna try and look at under volting.
The CPU only goes above 4ghz for a couple of secs before it starts to throttle and drops.
Not really thrilled about this issue, I saw on the previous pages that an i5 was doing a lot better.

Sorry for the disappointment regarding the bad performance 🙁 hope undervolting will give your mac a huge boost in terms of average CPU frequency. Hope Apple sees the issues here and brings an update quickly.

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

I downgraded from Mojave to High Sierra so my Sonnet 550 would work again. Everything works perfect in macOS but I cannot get rid of Code 12 on my GTX 1070 in Boot Camp. Did what @itsage did and simply hotplugged, but Windows never offered to install drivers. Almost same computer too, except I opted for 16GB RAM/512GB SSD. I’m connecting my Sonnet to the port closest to the Tab button. Disabling bridge#5 and reenabling doesn’t work, disabling iSight camera doesn’t work, disabling bridge#9 doesn’t work. I’m lost on this.

2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Posted by: whiskey_1130

I downgraded from Mojave to High Sierra so my Sonnet 550 would work again. Everything works perfect in macOS but I cannot get rid of Code 12 on my GTX 1070 in Boot Camp. Did what @itsage did and simply hotplugged, but Windows never offered to install drivers. Almost same computer too, except I opted for 16GB RAM/512GB SSD. I’m connecting my Sonnet to the port closest to the Tab button. Disabling bridge#5 and reenabling doesn’t work, disabling iSight camera doesn’t work, disabling bridge#9 doesn’t work. I’m lost on this.

Unfortunately the boot rom you get updated to when you install Mojave beta does not have a functioning "Large Memory" entry in the device manager.  Without this I was completely unable to get my gtx 1080 working either, there just aren't enough things to disable to free up the resources needed.  You could probably install a modified dsdt table but someone would need to figure out how to create the files and you would have to run Windows in unsigned driver mode, which may mean disabling boot security.   As far as I know there is no way to downgrade the boot rom to the shipping high sierra version.  I ended up exchanging mine for a new one in an attempt to troubleshoot other issues I was having, so I have a replacement unit with the original boot rom which has the Large Memory entry again.  Eventually later Mojave beta firmwares or possibly the final release veersion should not have this problem anymore.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ningauble77 I downloaded and ran sisoftware Sandra 2018. It did not BSOD but the system froze. The Touch Bar went dark and I could not do anything to the laptop except forced shut it down. The temp was bouncing right around 100˚C. This is madness and Apple needs to fix it immediately.

On another note, I accidentally found out this 2018 13″ MacBook Pro can fully hotplug and hot unplug in Boot Camp like a normal Windows laptop. Nvidia eGPU is the only one that works though. I’m using the top right TB3 port closest to the headphone jack. With 2016 and 2017 MBP, I had to have the eGPU connected during boot and hot unplug while in Windows would crash the system.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Yes, my power went out and it effectively hot unplugged itself today no problem.  The nvidia widget on the taskbar can gracefully disconnect it too, just bear in mind it will be disabled in the device manager the next time you plug it in, and will need to be re-enabled there to work. 

My only real complaint is that I can't do clamshell mode, when I close the lid on the MacBook the egpu display freezes every couple of seconds.  Clamshell sortof works if I boot with the egpu attached without hotplugging, but there is still a phantom monitor there so some programs potentially come up on the nonfunctional display.  Plus I was worried as to whether the display actually shuts off when closed with the igpu disabled, sortof like wondering about the refrigerator light 😛

Thanks for running the Sandra test, I'm really disappointed that the power design/firmware setup not only affects performance under load but possibly stability too.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

It's been a while since I can hot unplug my eGPU on the mbp 2017 15`. But I think in recent patches Nvidia added the notification "GPU was disconnected..." If u then hotplug it it will appear on device manager but with an error. But no BSOD. Saw this today coincidentally lol

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

Posted by: whiskey_1130

Unfortunately the boot rom you get updated to when you install Mojave beta does not have a functioning "Large Memory" entry in the device manager.  Without this I was completely unable to get my gtx 1080 working either, there just aren't enough things to disable to free up the resources needed.  You could probably install a modified dsdt table but someone would need to figure out how to create the files and you would have to run Windows in unsigned driver mode, which may mean disabling boot security.   As far as I know there is no way to downgrade the boot rom to the shipping high sierra version.  I ended up exchanging mine for a new one in an attempt to troubleshoot other issues I was having, so I have a replacement unit with the original boot rom which has the Large Memory entry again.  Eventually later Mojave beta firmwares or possibly the final release veersion should not have this problem anymore.

I had a feeling the boot rom would be an issue and not downgrade with High Sierra, but I forgot to go back and check it. And that's the issue I have, with not enough things to disable to free up resources. 😓

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Good News everyone

Apple's aware of the issue with the thermal management and is already rolling out an update which should be available in the next few hours. (via The Verge)

@itsage @MacUser2 would you mind to run Cinebench and post the score? And maybe a screenshot of the Intel Power Gadget.. just to know how good Apple's update works

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

Post-patch. 725-734

Screen Shot 2018 07 24 at 4.51.20 PM

nanoBit liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Right around 700 on mine.

Screen Shot 2018 07 24 at 10.12.14 PM

nanoBit liked
ReplyQuote
(@justin_burkard)

Posted by: Malthe Elkær

What has changed between the 2016 and 2018 13" models that makes it easier to set up?

Also, it is amazing that we finally have laptop chips suited for thin 13" devices that are beating my desktop's i5 2500k.

I'm curious about what has changed to make it easier as well. I'm currently rocking a 2017 13" with a touch bar. I don't think I'm going to upgrade until next year, but would like to hear what makes it easier. Thanks in advance! And thanks for the benchmarks!

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Thank you 😊

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Using SiSoftware Sandra 2018 to stress test the CPU still results freezing and BSOD in Bootcamp. I had time last night to run some Unigine benchmarks in both internal display and external monitor modes. The cooling fans in the laptop were going full speed at times. Here are the results:

Internal Display External Monitor

nanoBit liked
ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

Taken a while for my new  MBP 2018 to arrive... I switch to 13" from 15" on my order coz I wasbit concern with the price difference lol...

followed both MacOS/Windows Bootcamp setup.

The MacOS works like  a charm,  I remember correctly before I ditch my MBP 13 late 2016.. I have issue after updating  my MacOS to 10.13.6 from 10.13.3, Normally in the future how you update the nvidia web driver for this? do we reinstall the same script?

I've also followed the Bootcamp from a to z, I managed to work this too and yes unlike the 1st generation of TB model it actually save me some hassle and etc to make this works..

But performance wise I'm losing 10-15 fps  @ 43" 4k resolution if compare to my old setup (only difference is new quad core processor)  this with just basic thunderbolt 3 driver and windows thingy.

still sorting out updating the Auros Gaming Box 1080 drivers,  having issue installed the FW thingy even I've already downgraded the thunderbolt 3 driver...

ReplyQuote
solocamper
(@solocamper)

Dude I want a MacBook in bootcamp that is plug and play.

ReplyQuote
DarkEchoes
(@darkechoes)

These results look super promising. My 13" i7 should be here today. Hopefully I have some time to try and get it to work with my 1070 Gaming Box.

ReplyQuote
OfarligGiraffe
(@ofarliggiraffe)

I do have Razer Core X and a GTX 1080 but since I have the same computer I will try asking you here, if this is off topic I am sorry. I have my eGPU working fine in Windows and now I am trying to get it to work in OS X. I have been trying different methods and find the route you took to be a nice one. All the solutions I tried end up the same way for me, I can see the card and monitor and I see the drivers being used are the correct one, but my external monitor just shows picture for a few seconds then it loses signal. I been trying to see if it is being sent a signal that it cannot handle but no settings I can see changes this behaviour.

I was wondering if you have any idea what might cause this?

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

Posted by: OfarligGiraffe

I do have Razer Core X and a GTX 1080 but since I have the same computer I will try asking you here, if this is off topic I am sorry. I have my eGPU working fine in Windows and now I am trying to get it to work in OS X. I have been trying different methods and find the route you took to be a nice one. All the solutions I tried end up the same way for me, I can see the card and monitor and I see the drivers being used are the correct one, but my external monitor just shows picture for a few seconds then it loses signal. I been trying to see if it is being sent a signal that it cannot handle but no settings I can see changes this behaviour.

re-check the steps here:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

specially with disabling  system integrity protection.

just encounter the issue with mine suddenly doesn't work on mac os and somehow this SIP was re-enabled again you might have same issue as mine.

ReplyQuote
OfarligGiraffe
(@ofarliggiraffe)

Posted by: rvyne
Posted by: OfarligGiraffe

re-check the steps here:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

specially with disabling  system integrity protection.

just encounter the issue with mine suddenly doesn't work on mac os and somehow this SIP was re-enabled again you might have same issue as mine.

Thanks but unfortunately SIP is off and it is not that it isn't working at all but rather not for long. If I plug in the screen or change the update frequency or resolution the external monitor will show picture for about 2 seconds before losing signal. So it is detecting the GPU and monitor and all, it is just something is pushed that the monitor does not seem to be able to handle but I have no idea what that would be. The monitor is working flawlessly in Windows 10 with the same eGPU setup and with OS X using HDMI to my USB-C dock with the iGPU so I have no idea what to do.

ReplyQuote
DarkEchoes
(@darkechoes)

Got my 13" i7 w/ touchbar last night. BootCamp is set up and my egpu configured and working (Aorus 1070 gaming box). After running the aida64 GPU benchmark I'm definitely not running at 32gbps, memory write is only 1261MB/s. Could it be a resource issue? Or is something just not installed correctly.

EDIT:

Also, I have the egpu plugged into the top left port, and am running it on an external display (I boot up using apple_set_os.efi).

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@darkechoes Check the enclosure Thunderbolt version in macOS. Most likely it has the original firmware that limits the H2D speed.

ReplyQuote
DarkEchoes
(@darkechoes)

Ok I just updated to the latest firmware available from Gigabyte, no change in performance. Took a look at the thunderbolt enclosure info in MacOS and everything looks ok to me, unless I'm missing something (screenshot below).

20180727 161717996 iOS

EDIT:

After looking into the firmware more it doesn't look like the H2D firmware was actually flashed. So now I'm following the guide on how to do it and I'm just not able to get the firmware to detect the enclosure, ugh.

ReplyQuote
SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)

I have the same MacBook but I'm getting Error 12 with my 1060 no matter what I try. Did you run into that at all?

ReplyQuote
Anorak
(@anorak)

Posted by: nanoBit

Did you ever get a reply from @itsage for this. I've been following this forum for a couple of weeks and couldn't find this information. (actually registered just to be able to ask you this question 😛 )

Razer Blade 15 Advanced 2019 (RTX 2070 Max-Q) -- Razer Core X Chroma -- RTX 2080TI FE -- Alienware AW3418DW (34 inch curved 3440x1440)

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Anorak
Posted by: nanoBit

Did you ever get a reply from @itsage for this. I've been following this forum for a couple of weeks and couldn't find this information. (actually registered just to be able to ask you this question 😛 )

I did some quick and dirty testing of this on my 2018 13" MacBook  pro in bootcamp, by running 2 instances of Crystaldiskmark, 1 testing the Apple SSD, another with a 6gbps Crucial SSD running off a USB 3.1 gen 2 enclosure.  This isn't quite a worse case scenario because I don't have a second Thunderbolt device to fully load the second TB3 controller hence the USB 3.1 SSD.

Here is the bandwidth while idle:

No Bottlenecking

Here is the bandwidth while doing a sequential read test on the 2 drives:

Read Bottlenecking

Here is the bandwidth while doing a sequential write test on the 2 drives:

Write Bottlenecking

So yes,  the left TB3 Controller, right TB3 Controller, and the Apple SSD all share 32gbps to the CPU.  Under full load conditions the speeds to the egpu were reduced to 1/1.3 GB/s compared to 2.2/2.6 GB/s  with no significant Drive traffic.  In practice, I don't think it is likely to impact performance under most workloads though.  My 13" 2018 performs better in games than my 15" 2016 so far.

DarkEchoes and Anorak liked
ReplyQuote
Anorak
(@anorak)

@Ningauble77 thanks for the detailed benchmarks.

So basically if I only use the eGPU and a mouse on the 13" MPB to game, I should be fine. The 32gbps bandwidth will only be shared between SSD, eGPU and usb adaptor for the mouse. So the eGPU should be the main bandwidth consumer here.

Do you know if there is a benefit in using a 2018 15" Macbook Pro instead of the 13? I know that with the dGPU of the 15, eGPU setup seems more complex and unstable.... But if there is a performance gain, I wouldn't mind dealing with setup complexity. Based on @itsage 's table, the only difference seems to be the PCH connection. I can't seem to find information on if it has a performance hit on the eGPU.

Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro Left Thunderbolt 3 Ports Right Thunderbolt 3 Ports

2016-2018 15" TB3 Controller «» x4 PCIe «» CPU CPU «» x4 PCIe «» TB3 Controller
2018 13" Touch Bar TB3 Controller «» x4 PCIe «» PCH «» CPU CPU «» PCH «» x4 PCIe «» TB3 Controller

Razer Blade 15 Advanced 2019 (RTX 2070 Max-Q) -- Razer Core X Chroma -- RTX 2080TI FE -- Alienware AW3418DW (34 inch curved 3440x1440)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nando4 has prepared this table to explain the performance difference in more details.

late-2016 15″ Macbook Pro late-2016 13″ Macbook Pro Touch Bar

No. of active eGPUs : bandwidth per eGPU

1: 22Gbps
2: 22Gbps/16Gbps (on alternate/same side)
3: 22Gbps on side with single eGPU, 16Gbps on side with dual eGPUs
4: 16Gbps

No. of active eGPUs : bandwidth per eGPU

1: 22Gbps/16Gbps (left/right) minus other PCH devices overhead
2: 16Gbps (on alternate sides or left side only) minus other PCH devices overhead
2: 8Gbps (right side only) minus other PCH devices overhead
3: b/w 8Gbps-16Gbps depending on ports used minus other PCH devices overhead
4: 8Gbps minus other PCH devices overhead

ReplyQuote
 of  3