2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [itsage]  

of  9
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage Thank you for the warning. I was planning to do just that. I’ll be back mid-next month or so, and will likely purchase it around late-August if I feel it’s the right choice then.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DarkEchoes
(@darkechoes)

Posted by: itsage

@darkechoes I will test more in Windows soon. The plan is to use HWiNFO to log the temps while playing Witcher 3.

Excellent, thanks! Looking forward to the results!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

So much for temp-logging an hour of game play. This happened within the 20 minutes I had the computer on to set up Steam, download a game, and update Nvidia drivers.  😯 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

OMG what is up with those temp sways between the cores. That's just nasty

2018 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cdk-
 cdk-
(@cdk)

Hmm... those are some awful temps, and although it doesn't seem to be throttling in the screenshot, I'm concerned to see the 700MHz minimum.

I've been trying to set up this 2018 15" MBP (dGPU: 560X) with a Razer Core X/1080Ti setup with no luck. Was wondering if you had any pointers.
I've followed the external Bootcamp guide with no success; in fact, using gpu-switch results in a pixelated pattern on my screen once Windows goes past the "spinning dots" stage, followed by a black screen. Up to that point, had no issues with rEFInd and spoof_osx_version.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Darthjr liked
ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've heard people have been getting better results by lowering the Voltage on the new CPUs to control the temps and avoid throttling. Might be worth a try?

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

I don't think you can lower the voltage in the mac as you can with a PC. 

My MBP 15" with the i9 runs significantly hotter than the previous generations. Even in idle the average temp is ~50C and the whole computer is always warm no matter what is running. 

The new chips are definitely harder to cool and the MBP cooling design is not great to say the least. 

In macos I have the macsfancontrol to keep the temps down. I guess you can find a similar program to run under Windows. The problem is that you will hear the fans all the time Smile Just booting up the computer brings CPU to 100C !

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Here is an interesting test from notebookcheck in which they fixed the max wattage of the CPU and got massively better & more stable performance :

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-2018-Much-more-performance-with-a-few-clicks.317552.0.html

Intel XTU can be used under Windows.

This is the program that they say can be used under macOS (haven't tried it myself):
http://volta.garymathews.com/

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

Here's Mojave with Volta and Macs Fan Control on a 2018 13" Macbook Pro TB w/ i5

Spent most of the time between 3.1 - 3.2 GHz

Screen Shot 2018 07 20 at 9.15.54 PM

2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Just tried the Volta and the 45W limit with the 15". It gave me 10% improvement with cinebench and very stable clockspeeds:
No limit:

Screen Shot 2018 07 20 at 9.21.33 PM

With 45W limit:

Screen Shot 2018 07 20 at 9.27.36 PM

ReplyQuote
 of  9