Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro...

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

Anorak
(@anorak)

Thanks for this @itsage . Nothing clearer than a Visio to me.

If I want dedicated bandwidth from the eGPU to the CPU, I should get a 15 inch. Plus Windows and the Nvidia control pannel can easily switch from dGPU to eGPU. Shouldn’t be too hard to setup for gaming. That’s what I currently do with my Alienware 13R3 w/gtx1060.(and with my work Latitude 7490)

Again, thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure about my macbook pro size/specs choice now.

Razer Blade 15 Advanced 2019 (RTX 2070 Max-Q) -- Razer Core X Chroma -- RTX 2080TI FE -- Alienware AW3418DW (34 inch curved 3440x1440)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@christian3006)

What about the gaming capabilities in Mac OS High Sierra. Are games like League of Legends using the egpu?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
karm
 karm
(@karm)

So my first pass at trying to get all of this working (using another guide) was to no avail. So I formatted and started fresh leveraging this guide. Unfortunately, I don't know why but it isn't working for me. External monitor isn't working, only thing in the enclosure that seems to be working is the lights on the inside, etc.

1) erased drive

2) reinstall macOS

3) utility -> allow external boot + turn off secure (they were still set correctly, so I'm guessing this isn't stored on the drive)

4) Install supplemental update 2

5) Benjamin Dobell's script

6) SIP disable

7) Install purge-wrangler, run it

8) reboot

System still says it is using Iris in about this Mac, no external monitor even after unplugging/plugging the DisplayPort in the back of the GPU. Haven't even tried Windows side this go around because I figure I may as well get the Mac side working first before even moving on.

edit: just tried it again, erased everything, reinstalled macOS, all of the same steps but didn't install supplemental update 2 (basically, stock 10.13.6). Same thing. This is with a 13in MacBook Pro 2018 w/ 2.7 Ghz quad core i7, 16GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive (not that that last part matters).

2018 13 in. MacBook Pro (16GB RAM/2.7Ghz i7) / ASUS XG Station Pro / Gigabyte GTX 1080 FTW

ReplyQuote
(@jacknoel)

Hey @itsage,

I read this post and simply loved it. I have both a PC and a MAC and as a new father I needed to cut back my gaming considerably. With that said, in my PC I have a 1080TI that I don't want to just let collect dust in the basement so I got to thinking about an eGPU. My only question here for you is that I use my mid 2017 macbook pro both at home and when I go to the office. When I pack up and go and unplug the eGPU would the macbook recognize that the external GPU was unplugged and would it default back to the onboard graphics? 

Hope that makes sense!
thanks!
Jack

This post was modified 1 year ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@jacknoel Congrats on being a father! Do you have the 13″ or 15″ MacBook Pro? The 2017 13″ MBP works really well in both macOS 10.13 and Windows 10. The 15″ model will require some work but it’s not that bad especially if you play games through an external monitor.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

jacknoel liked
ReplyQuote
(@jacknoel)

@itsage Thanks!

Being a dad is great. my son is a little fussy but I think that comes with the territory. My thought was to not bootcamp it (if I could avoid it). here is my specs. While I love gaming, I'm attempting to grow out of it. If I don't, I'll play like 8 hours a day, everyday and would neglect work, child, wife. Ha! It's time for me to grow up a little, but I don't want my hardware to sit and not be utilized. The reason behind the eGPU would be for Unity, PS, LR, and other GPU intensive applications.

(apparently I don't know how to add a screenshot)

specs:

13in, 2017, four thunders
processor: 3.5Ghz i7
memory: 16 gig 2133 DDR3
graphics: Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

===================================
While I am a software dev (.NET) I enjoy the feel of Mojave (not saying that windows 10 isn't great) but Remote Desktop works really well so I want to have a clean, crisp looking desk.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the quick response
Best,
Jack

@itsage
Just want to make sure before I throw down $330 dollars, that the moment I take my MacBook Pro to the office, Mojave will recognize that the eGPU will is gone and the Onboard GPU will be the default, and vis versa. When I get home from the office and plug in the eGPU (1080TI) then Mojave will recognize the eGPU, automatically...

Thanks!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@jacknoel The 2017 13″ MacBook Pro can work like you imagined with an AMD eGPU in Mojave. Unfortunately Apple does not support Nvidia cards. We have two community eGPU solutions for Nvidia eGPU. While they work in Mojave, there’s no web drivers from Nvidia yet. I would say to either wait for web driver release or roll back to High Sierra. Read my eGPU 10.14 Update article for more information.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@jacknoel)

@itsage

Be honest. Do you think Apple is actually come out with OS Native Nvidia Web Drivers?

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member

Posted by: jacknoel

@itsage

Be honest. Do you think Apple is actually come out with OS Native Nvidia Web Drivers?

@jacknoel They would be released from Nvidia directly.

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
(@jacknoel)

Good call, so back to the original question that would be modified. Do you think that Nvidia will release Web drivers for mojave? (wait, is that the right question to ask?)  😛

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

...Nvidia eGPU works on this QC 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro in a similar fashion as 2016/2017 models. In order to keep the iGPU activated, I hotplugged the eGPU at the Windows logo spinning circle screen.

Does this means it you have to hot-plug the 13" MPB 2018, too? Because this the main problem the 13" MacBookPro 2015. There are no such issues with 15" MPB 2018, where you can boot without any plugging stress at all.
There must be some kind of solution?!

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
 of  3