2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Stat...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4 I will try your recommendations in the coming days. I've been using rEFInd to activate the iGPU but have not tried hot-plug timing of the eGPU during boot. I uninstalled and reinstalled about 6 different versions of the Intel graphics drivers in hope finding one that works. Unfortunately they all cause the internal display to show pixel dots all over the screen during boot. Here's a photo of what that looks like. The internal display would eventually go black after a couple seconds of these white pixel flashing.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Surprising that iGPU is also causing issues. The one time when I got the 560x and GTX 1070 functioning together was when I booted it with it plugged in. Just don't know what was different about that.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@mac_editor, if it was a Windows restart rather than a cold start then do note that the Window's fast boot feature will result in a faster/partial initialization of devices by the Apple firmware.  Another thing @itsage may want to test for traction.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nando4 I think you’re on to something here. IIRC it was a restart.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4 I will check into fast boot and disable the feature if it's on. Ideally Intel should have graphics drivers so that the iGPU can power the internal display without glitches.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nando4 @itsage Fast boot was always disabled for me since the first thing I do is disable hibernation on Windows after installation. Tried with and without fast boot, no luck.

I did come across some interesting tidbits in my testing, and was able to get the Aorus Box + RP560X functioning together on the internal display. Apple USB drivers may have a bug, and can crash the system, per one of the system BSOD messages. The reason I experienced crashes when hot-plugging seemed to have worked was because I had other devices connected (especially a hub for USB 3.0 devices). This did not solve the issue directly, and as of now hot-plugging doesn't work (that is, not even causing a crash) for me with the Aorus.

So I tried a different approach:

• Disable PCI controller 1909 (right hand ports) - target for eGPU connection.
  • Keep PCI controller 1905 enabled.
  • Power off system and disconnect all peripherals.
  • Plug in the eGPU to any right-hand port.
  • Boot into Windows and let everything load - eGPU will not be detected since ports are disabled.
  • Re-enable PCI controller 1909 - it's like simulating a hot-plug I suppose.
  • eGPU should be active and ready to go if drivers were already set up.
  • Plugging in peripherals after eGPU is ready works fine, but I did experience a BSOD once.
  • Update: Sometimes Windows has trouble finding the drivers. Waiting for a bit resolves the issue.

This has worked consistently given the ideal situation, but having peripherals and a disabled 1905 (esp. when you attempt re-enabling while eGPU is plugged in and peripherals are connected to 1905) caused multiple BSODs.

So far, I can use the 1070 for gaming within Windows on the internal display. Worth noting that F1 2018 does not respect the High Performance preference settings, and that the mechanism isn't really perfect - it sometimes resets, or requires setting it twice. I am using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Conclusions:

• While booting, Windows messes up initializing the display on the RP560X with eGPU present.
  • Disabling the 560X, booting with the eGPU works, but then re-enabling the dGPU causes black screen again.
  • This leads me to believe that the 560X must be initialized completely first, before an eGPU can work alongside it - essentially hot-plug.
  • I cannot say anything about AMD eGPUs because I haven't tried.
  • The above is a solution for when hot-plugs aren't detected.
  • In a sense, Apple firmware plays a role in eGPU detection, at least with the Aorus?

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor I can confirm fast startup was disabled in Win10. The Gaming Box does not work well in terms of hot-plugging. What I ended up doing was to hot-plug at the Windows logo circle dots. Nvidia eGPU worked well hot-plugging this way. AMD eGPU still managed to cripple the dGPU.

How's the laptop cooling fans when you're playing game with eGPU? Mine went full speed with all six cores thermal throttled (seen in HWiNFO64). They were ranging from mid to high 90 degrees Celsius. The gameplay experience was very smooth with the internal display however. All games were stored on an external SSD plugged into the opposing side.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage It usually runs hot in Windows anyway thanks to dGPU always being active. I haven't monitored it during gameplay. But clocks sufficiently above base speeds (2.6 base, seen at 100% util at 3.3-3.6 which is great). Fans blaring ofc. I have tried the circles technique - will try again I suppose. Gameplay was smooth - yes, very.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage Last when I attempted the circles trick, I had another device plugged in (USB-C to Gigabit adapter). Not having any device = working hot-plug at circles otherwise BSOD, so far at least on right side port.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Tested on left-side ports. Works, but not as consistently as right side, esp. with additional peripherals (BSOD). With additional peripherals, Windows can BSOD with error at: ky.sys or something. More interesting is the Apple USB driver/program (AppleUSBVHCI.sys per BSOD), which FFS crashes on me sometimes - even w/0 eGPU. And I only just set up Windows today (yea, messed it up again somehow). What a pain. Also, not being able to plug in anything beside the eGPU on the same side is annoying to me. The dilemma is - I cannot boot across the systems without unplugging/re-plugging stuff, and the ports are notoriously tight. Makes me a little mad each time.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  5