Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) +...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 1809 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

After finding a kext edit would allow the Radeon VII to work in macOS 10.14.4 Developer Beta 3 [18E194d], I wanted to test this eGPU with another host, the 2018 15″ MacBook Pro. I was more interested in Boot Camp mode with this laptop because unlike the 2016 and 2017 model year, this 2018 15″ MBP is not playing well when you force-attach the Intel iGPU to its internal display. Therefore the only possibility is through Windows Graphics Options that pairs eGPU to dGPU (Win10 version 1803 or newer). Nvidia eGPU is plug-and-play but it’s a mess with AMD eGPU. The good news I found is AMD dGPU and AMD eGPU can work together in Boot Camp without hacks. The bad news is the internal display doesn’t work. Update: Thanks to @Mac_editor‘s suggestion I was able to find a procedure to get internal display with AMD eGPU acceleration working. Here are the steps.

System specs:

2018 15″ MacBook Pro – i7-8750H/Iris 630 iGPU & Radeon Pro 555X dGPU/16GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Razer Core + PowerColor Radeon VII + 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In macOS 10.14.4 Beta 3, I needed to run Purge-Wrangler to unblock TI82 USB-C controller in the Razer Core. Next step was modifying AMDXRadeon5000.kext by injecting the Radeon VII‘s PCI ID (add 0x66AF1002 into this kext). Once this is done, run permission repair then restart and the Razer Core + Radeon VII eGPU should work. I quickly tested all four monitor output ports and they worked well. 

In Windows Boot Camp, my goal is to get the Radeon VII eGPU going without any hacks. It’s possible to install Windows 10 via Boot Camp Assistant then hot-plug an AMD eGPU to make it work. You would need an external monitor because this approach results in a disabled dGPU and black internal display. I wanted a functional dGPU working with the AMD eGPU to ultimately accelerate the internal display. The almost-working solution is DDU and BootCampdrivers.com modified 19.2.2 drivers.

As seen above Radeon Pro 555X dGPU was active and functional alongside Radeon VII eGPU. The problem was the internal display wasn’t working at all. I had one monitor connected to the eGPU directly. Windows booting process was visible through internal monitor right up to the log-in screen when the eGPU became active and took over. I tested monitor output from the Radeon Pro 555X dPGU by connecting a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter. Both an LG 4K monitor (one DisplayPort cable) and HP 5K monitor (two DisplayPort cables) were able to run off the dGPU.

Benchmarks:

By specifying each app to use the Performance GPU in Windows Graphics Options, I was able to run eGPU loopback through this arrangement: Radeon VII eGPU <-> Left TB3 <-> 2018 15″ MBP <-> Right TB3 <-> TB3 to DP Adapter <-> LG 4K Monitor. Here are Unigine benchmarks comparing loopback mode vs direct external monitor mode. Loopback results are above external monitor results.

Here are 3DMark results through direct external monitor mode.

Comments:

We’re getting close to figuring out a straight-forward solution to use an AMD eGPU with internal display on this 2018 15″ MacBook Pro. There’s currently a script by @chris_moran to achieve this task. If you’d like to replicate this procedure and report your findings, please give it a shot.

This topic was modified 10 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I tested this setup more today. One condition in which the internal display would work is when you switch the Thunderbolt cable to a TB3 port that has not established a connection with the eGPU. I replicated this on 3 remaining TB3 ports and the internal display stayed on beyond the log-in screen. Unfortunately this is not a permanent solution because once the TB3 port established connection with the eGPU, next boot would cause black internal display. Is there a quick way to make the Thunderbolt 3 ports forget its connection to the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
tsfreitas
(@tsfreitas)

I'm planning on buying this GPU and pair it with a Mantiz to run games on BootCamp.
I only run the external monitor (don't care about the internal display when I game).
My question is, aside of installing the newest AMD driver from bootcampdrivers.com, is it needed to do anything else to run on external monitor only?
My theory is, by doing that, the dGPU and iGPU will be disabled or not running at all, and leave more room for the processor to cool properly. Am I correct?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: itsage

I tested this setup more today. One condition in which the internal display would work is when you switch the Thunderbolt cable to a TB3 port that has not established a connection with the eGPU. I replicated this on 3 remaining TB3 ports and the internal display stayed on beyond the log-in screen. Unfortunately this is not a permanent solution because once the TB3 port established connection with the eGPU, next boot would cause black internal display. Is there a quick way to make the Thunderbolt 3 ports forget its connection to the eGPU?

@itsage Nice find 👍. Is this with the eGPU plugged in at boot or hot-plugging at the spinning circles? I never noticed this behavior as I recall trying something similar (Worth noting the eGPU takes a few seconds to get going on a new TB port). It might be though that my internal display defaults to being disabled (assuming both worked) since I have an external monitor and may have missed this (monitor settings stay synced irrespective of how it's connected). Anyway I think we are close to an ideal setup thanks to you.

Have you tried:
- Uninstalling the GPU (device) before rebooting?
- Disabling the TB controller and rebooting?

Also consider trying the following in a privileged Command Prompt in Windows, and then rebooting normally:

bcdedit /set usefirmwarepcisettings no

And see what happens. Docs here. I recall @goalque suggested this already on the EFI thread. No one tried.

This post was modified 10 months ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Thank you! Two minds are definitely better than one. I tried your suggestion of manually uninstalling the Radeon eGPU and it worked! This is as simple as we can get on the 2018 15″ MacBook Pro + AMD eGPU atm. Here’s the summary of my setup and on-going usage procedure if you’d like to replicate:

• Install Windows 10 via Boot Camp Assistant and complete Apple driver installation.
  • Download modified Radeon drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com.
  • Run DDU (included in modified drivers) to remove Apple Radeon drivers.
  • Disable Windows auto-installation of new devices then install modified Radeon drivers.
  • Restart MBP after Radeon driver installation completes but do not connect AMD eGPU.
  • Hot-plug AMD eGPU once MBP boots to the Windows Desktop.
  • Open Device Manager for AMD eGPU (should be yellow-banged by error 12 at this point).
  • Go to Devices by Connection then right-click the AMD eGPU to Uninstall.
  • Leave the AMD eGPU connected and restart the MBP.

If all goes according to plan the next boot should have both AMD dGPU and AMD eGPU working as well as the internal display. This procedure (last four steps) requires one restart in Windows to get AMD eGPU and internal display going but it’s well worth it. Please let me know if you have success with it.

I also tried the BCDEDIT as instructed by @goalque. It did not make a difference unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage will report back once I’m Stateside again (in a few days) and deal with a couple of midterms :p

Fortunately I should be ok starting from Step 5 since I have the eGPU set up already.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I had success replicating this procedure on different enclosures and AMD eGPUs last night. Once the Radeon drivers are in place I could hot-plug the AMD eGPU, manual uninstall in Device Manager, then restart the MBP and it’s good to go.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

@itsage sorry if I said this already before but on 3Dmark, cpu performance on MacBook Pro 8750H is too lower it’s similar or maybe even worse than quad core 7700HQ. I’m curious if this may effect gaming performance on cpu demanding titles like SoTR, AC Oddysey, FFXV, actually graphically it almost similar with 2080 egpu setting, but cpu hold it back apparently. How was cpu thermal? Is that Apple power limit throttling (limitation for better thermal) or thermal throttling?

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The CPU thermal performance is not good. After half an hour running these benchmarks, HWiNFO64 Sensors showed red on all cores. This is a situation since the 2018 15″ MacBook Pro first came out. Apple pushed several firmware updates but thermal throttling is not resolved. I think it’s broader than just one particular laptop or brand. As we have all seen many different laptops with the Intel 8th generation H-CPU struggle.

ReplyQuote
Kelvin Tan
(@kelvin_tan)
Estimable Member

Tried as I might, with different ports, I could not get this to work.

Followedthe same steps as outlined above, but at the last step, once rebooted, the Vega driver installed and internal display goes black, then the external display comes on.

Is this only for those without an external display? I'm just trying to get rid of the black screen as the backlit is on throughout.

Tried it on 3 different tb3 ports (left rear, both right ports)
Using 18.11.1 bootcampdriver (found it most stable for my Vega 56)
Tried with and without the ts3+ dock connected

X1 Yoga Gen3, X1 Tablet Gen 3, MacBook Pro 15" 2018
Razer Core X / Mantiz Venus
Asrock Radeon VII, Zotac Nvidia 1080Ti Amp Core Extreme, Powercolor Vega 56 reference (flashed to V64 bios)

ReplyQuote
beppedessi
(@beppedessi)

The PSU on the CoreX is 600 what right? Did you upgrade it? Or is the 500 what for the Radeon VII enough?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@kelvin_tan According to Mat’s note “Vega 16+20 drivers now merged into the main drivers from version 19.1.2 V3 and upwards.”

@beppedessi I’m using the original Razer Core not the Core X. It’s all stock with a 500W fATX PSU (350W max to GPU). I have not experienced any crashes so far using it with the Radeon VII.

ReplyQuote
Kelvin Tan
(@kelvin_tan)
Estimable Member

@itsage I'm still using the Vega 56 on the Mac. The Radeon is paired via Mantiz Venus to a ThinkPad. Do you mean only driver 19.1.2 onwards will work?

@beppedessi I'm facing some graphical glitches on Mantiz Venus 550W OEM psu with a ThinkPad X1 tablet gen3. Suspect it might be PSU related. Wattmeter shows draw from socket about 290W to 315W running valley. Will swap out to an enermax 650w in the next few days to test.

This post was modified 9 months ago

X1 Yoga Gen3, X1 Tablet Gen 3, MacBook Pro 15" 2018
Razer Core X / Mantiz Venus
Asrock Radeon VII, Zotac Nvidia 1080Ti Amp Core Extreme, Powercolor Vega 56 reference (flashed to V64 bios)

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

@itsage thank you very much for the step by step to setup the Radeon VII in bootcamp, finally mine is working on my MBP 15 2018. The only thing that I couldn't make work is the Radeon wattman, do you know if possible to make it work.

Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@franky I recall I was able to use Wattman. I clicked the Agree button when first selected to go into Wattman. All I tried was Auto-Undervolt. How was Wattman not working in your setup?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage was successfully able to get the internal display functional alongside eGPU monitors 👍. Automating this would be easy for those who have scripted on Windows: basically we need to schedule a script on shutdown to uninstall a device every time if it's present. Maybe I'll look into it if I have the time, but as it is, it's still a pretty easy way to get the internal display working.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor That’s great to hear! When there’s a script to automate this process, I imagine it’s applicable for all three model year TB3 15″ MacBook Pros. It would make the current Boot Camp guide a lot less intimidating. I have not updated it because of this last hurdle with the 2018 15″ MacBook Pro.

On a similar note, our forums have macOS and Linux scripts to facilitate eGPU setup. It seems appropriate a Windows script is in order. 😀 

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage True! My guesstimate as to why your discovered method works:

1. When uninstalling a device in Windows, the OS only initializes it after boot completes (not earlier) if present on next boot
  2. Since we boot with eGPU plugged in, the firmware (or whatever heavenly force, presumably) chimes in and prevents error 12
  3. With the device uninstalled, it's essentially the same as hot-plugging, except the resource allocation occurs properly (no error 12) since we do #2

There is a lot of scope for automating things on Windows to make eGPUs easy. There is also the case for automating creation of DSDT overrides (roughly: extract the table > follow @nando4's guide to replace the values, but do this programmatically > save modified DSDT). Of course this all depends on the fact that the specific section of the DSDT that is modified/or the area around it is common (or more technically, they are a set of common hexes in all DSDTs). But then we have some device-specific constraints and whatnot. Having never done an override myself, this is all just a summary of my thought-process about the issue.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
eJony
(@ejony)

@Franky,
I have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" with Touchbar, Core X, and Radeon VII. All Radeon settings, including WattMan, work for me. I found the auto-overclock didn't work very well, so I manually set the memory to 1200MHz, I allow the GPU to run up to 1825MHz with a 1.22v draw, and allow for a +20% power limit.

This has been very stable for me.

Posted by: itsage

@beppedessi I'm using the original Razer Core not the Core X. It's all stock with a 500W fATX PSU (350W max to GPU). I have not experienced any crashes so far using it with the Radeon VII.

@itsage, do you know what the PD is from the Razer core? Actually, that's just a spec, what I'm wondering is if the PD from the Core is sufficient to keep the MBP battery from depleting during a longer, heavy gaming period where both GPU and CPU (and particularly CPU) is taxed. Also, have you had any problems with connected USB devices? Do you have ethernet, keyboard, mouse, and other USB peripherals run through the Core? 

I wish I could get to a one-wire solution. I even tried running the eGPU into a PD capable USB-C port on my "dock", but it wasn't TB3, so the eGPU didn't work.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 i9, 16GB, 1TB, Radeon 560x + CoreX + Radeon VII
MacOS 10.14.5 public beta 2 / Windows 10 19H1 (BootCamp)

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

Thanks, looks like now is working.
I try some overclocking yesterday with success.
Everything looks good.

I will wait now for the MacBook version

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage I have started work on the script (slowly though). Batch scripting is fairly limited and a real pain coming from bash/unix. I have the basics going to detect display adapters and uninstall them from within the script (using devcon). Auto-scheduling/un-scheduling on shutdown/restart would be next, besides the other edge cases that arise.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@brian_williams)

Any advice for a fellow AMD Bootcamper?  I have the late 2018 model with the Vega Pro 20 GPU and currently using a Vega RX 64 until my Radeon VII arrives.  I have followed the directions here and I can reliably get the GPU to activate with the re-installed drivers.  However, I cannot get 3DMark (the Steam variant) nor Anthem to run on the Vega 64, when trying to run with just the internal display.  Both will continue to use the Vega 20.  I thought 3DMark might be problematic because Steam apps might not be recognized by the new Graphics Settings, but I figured Anthem would work.

I could set up an external display to test with, but I am trying to avoid that, as it's a scenario that I would not continue to use.

Any thoughts?  Have you been able to launch any Steam applications to the internal display?

Brian

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Great to hear you’re starting on a script and making progress for Boot Camp. Once in a while I notice connecting the eGPU prior to boot would make Windows not able to detect the Thunderbolt connection and therefore nothing showed up. I have not gotten to the bottom of it. 

@brian_williams You have to use Windows Graphics options and specify the executable file of the game/app. Assigning to Steam won’t work. I found a screen capture where I selected 3DMark and assigned the eGPU to run it.

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

Thats correct, to make Steam games work with the eGPU you have to assign the executable game file and not steam app.

ReplyQuote
(@brian_williams)

Hi Sage,

Yeah, I already added both the x86 and x64 versions of the app to my Graphics Settings.  Same with Anthem.  Neither works.  I find it strange that Heaven works and the others do not.  I am going to try a few other apps and pull out the monitor today.  I code and game sitting on a couch, and my eGPU acts as a dock, providing power, hard disk backup, extra SSD game storage, too.  A monitor doesn't work so well in that scenario, though 🙂

Brian

UPDATE: I installed both Superposition and Ashes of the Singularity which both worked fine.  I think 3DMark's problem is that it won't let me launch it directly, without going through the Steam client - it reports that it cannot reach the Steam service.  I still don't know why Anthem won't work, yet, though.

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

Hi @itsage
I updated to the new 10.14.4 beta 4, now the system freeze for a few seconds at random time when is connected to the Egpu of the Radeon VII and then continues.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@franky It’s beta software combined with borrowed drivers so instabilities are expected. I have also observed numerous crashes due to Bridge OS 3.4 on the 2018 15″ MacBook Pro.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I updated the to Adrenalin 19.3.1 (modified Radeon drivers from BootCampDrivers.com) tonight and this setup remains working.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@itsage True! My guesstimate as to why your discovered method works:

1. When uninstalling a device in Windows, the OS only initializes it after boot completes (not earlier) if present on next boot
  2. Since we boot with eGPU plugged in, the firmware (or whatever heavenly force, presumably) chimes in and prevents error 12
  3. With the device uninstalled, it's essentially the same as hot-plugging, except the resource allocation occurs properly (no error 12) since we do #2

Actually, I remember having success booting with eGPU plugged in. When I noticed it, it switched it off during boot and switched it on later and it worked. But as this was again a timing thing, so I discarded this "solution".

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

@itsage
I just installed the 10.14.4 beta 5 looks like the hack adding the numbers on the AMDRadeonX5000 doesn't work anymore. 🙁

Do you think we can have another solution to this?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Franky

@itsage
I just installed the 10.14.4 beta 5 looks like the hack adding the numbers on the AMDRadeonX5000 doesn't work anymore. 🙁

Do you think we can have another solution to this?

I can confirm that it is still working in 10.14.4 beta 4. It's possible that apple closed this hack for different reasons. :/

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

@oliverb thanks under 10.14.4 beta 4 was working for me too. But yes it looks that is not the case anymore with the update.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@itsage, @mac_editor,

I have found another , easier way to get the internal display working with AMD dGPU.

1) Boot with eGPU plugged in => internal screen goes black.
2) Unplug monitor-cable from GPU and re-plug it.
3) Internal Display works!

This is confirmed to work with DisplayPort cable and an nVidia card, where the internal display went black, too.

ReplyQuote
Clustre
(@clustre)

When you use DDU, do you restart afterwards? I follow the steps exactly in 1803 and 1809 and both just have the Vega 64 error 12d, even after selecting uninstall and restarting. Any ideas?

2018 i9 MBP Vega 20 / PowerColor Gaming Station / Vega 64

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@clustre Yes. It’s the recommended option “Clean and Restart”.

ReplyQuote
 of  2