2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 1809 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

beppedessi
(@beppedessi)

The PSU on the CoreX is 600 what right? Did you upgrade it? Or is the 500 what for the Radeon VII enough?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@kelvin_tan According to Mat's note "Vega 16+20 drivers now merged into the main drivers from version 19.1.2 V3 and upwards."

@beppedessi I'm using the original Razer Core not the Core X. It's all stock with a 500W fATX PSU (350W max to GPU). I have not experienced any crashes so far using it with the Radeon VII.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kelvin Tan
(@kelvin_tan)
Estimable Member

@itsage I'm still using the Vega 56 on the Mac. The Radeon is paired via Mantiz Venus to a ThinkPad. Do you mean only driver 19.1.2 onwards will work?

@beppedessi I'm facing some graphical glitches on Mantiz Venus 550W OEM psu with a ThinkPad X1 tablet gen3. Suspect it might be PSU related. Wattmeter shows draw from socket about 290W to 315W running valley. Will swap out to an enermax 650w in the next few days to test.

This post was modified 3 years ago

X1 Yoga Gen3, X1 Tablet Gen 3, MacBook Pro 15" 2018
Razer Core X / Mantiz Venus
Asrock Radeon VII, Zotac Nvidia 1080Ti Amp Core Extreme, Powercolor Vega 56 reference (flashed to V64 bios)

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

@itsage thank you very much for the step by step to setup the Radeon VII in bootcamp, finally mine is working on my MBP 15 2018. The only thing that I couldn't make work is the Radeon wattman, do you know if possible to make it work.

Thanks in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@franky I recall I was able to use Wattman. I clicked the Agree button when first selected to go into Wattman. All I tried was Auto-Undervolt. How was Wattman not working in your setup?

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage was successfully able to get the internal display functional alongside eGPU monitors 👍. Automating this would be easy for those who have scripted on Windows: basically we need to schedule a script on shutdown to uninstall a device every time if it's present. Maybe I'll look into it if I have the time, but as it is, it's still a pretty easy way to get the internal display working.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mac_editor That's great to hear! When there's a script to automate this process, I imagine it's applicable for all three model year TB3 15" MacBook Pros. It would make the current Boot Camp guide a lot less intimidating. I have not updated it because of this last hurdle with the 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

On a similar note, our forums have macOS and Linux scripts to facilitate eGPU setup. It seems appropriate a Windows script is in order. 😀 

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage True! My guesstimate as to why your discovered method works:

1. When uninstalling a device in Windows, the OS only initializes it after boot completes (not earlier) if present on next boot
  2. Since we boot with eGPU plugged in, the firmware (or whatever heavenly force, presumably) chimes in and prevents error 12
  3. With the device uninstalled, it's essentially the same as hot-plugging, except the resource allocation occurs properly (no error 12) since we do #2

There is a lot of scope for automating things on Windows to make eGPUs easy. There is also the case for automating creation of DSDT overrides (roughly: extract the table > follow @nando4's guide to replace the values, but do this programmatically > save modified DSDT). Of course this all depends on the fact that the specific section of the DSDT that is modified/or the area around it is common (or more technically, they are a set of common hexes in all DSDTs). But then we have some device-specific constraints and whatnot. Having never done an override myself, this is all just a summary of my thought-process about the issue.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
eJony
(@ejony)

@Franky,
I have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" with Touchbar, Core X, and Radeon VII. All Radeon settings, including WattMan, work for me. I found the auto-overclock didn't work very well, so I manually set the memory to 1200MHz, I allow the GPU to run up to 1825MHz with a 1.22v draw, and allow for a +20% power limit.

This has been very stable for me.

Posted by: itsage

@beppedessi I'm using the original Razer Core not the Core X. It's all stock with a 500W fATX PSU (350W max to GPU). I have not experienced any crashes so far using it with the Radeon VII.

@itsage, do you know what the PD is from the Razer core? Actually, that's just a spec, what I'm wondering is if the PD from the Core is sufficient to keep the MBP battery from depleting during a longer, heavy gaming period where both GPU and CPU (and particularly CPU) is taxed. Also, have you had any problems with connected USB devices? Do you have ethernet, keyboard, mouse, and other USB peripherals run through the Core? 

I wish I could get to a one-wire solution. I even tried running the eGPU into a PD capable USB-C port on my "dock", but it wasn't TB3, so the eGPU didn't work.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 i9, 16GB, 1TB, Radeon 560x + CoreX + Radeon VII
MacOS 10.14.5 public beta 2 / Windows 10 19H1 (BootCamp)

ReplyQuote
Franky
(@franky)

Thanks, looks like now is working.
I try some overclocking yesterday with success.
Everything looks good.

I will wait now for the MacBook version

ReplyQuote
 of  5