2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 480 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 480 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [realistic]  

of  3
  RSS

mom
 mom
(@mom)

Posted by: Rycco
Posted by: mom

I was literally searching all over the internet for this setup. My main question is, can you try to benchmark it the way it is now and then try to benchmark it with the Razer Core connected to the extra TB3 slot on the TS3 Plus Dock?

I reallllly want that 1-cable life but I also want an eGPU, so I'm trying to weigh my options. TS3 support told me to expect a degradation in quality, but I don't know by how much? I also want to run 2 4K on the eGPU, so I'm already pushing it, so I want to make sure it all works before I burn $1k+.

Mom, the 1-cable life compromises performance 🙁 Not sure on numbers, but I'm sure it compromises enough to care about if you're spending all that money on high end GPU and a Macbook Pro. 2 cables is the way to go right now Grin

riiippp. Well.. another question while I'm here then. If I connect two 4K monitor vs 2 1440p monitors to the eGPU, then connect to the Mac, would the CPU usage be significantly different between the two? I am considering getting the eGPU to help with games like Civ 6 but 1) I don't even know if eGPU will help since laptop CPU might be bottleneck and 2) does the quality and quantity of monitors attached also lead to FPS loss on the games and general system performance?

@realistic, which version of this monitor did you get? I saw there was two with two different curves. Also, is there a reason you chose this over 2 monitors?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mom
 mom
(@mom)

Posted by: realistic

@mom

I did some fast testing. In Windows your suggested setup with MBP <-> TS3 plus <-> Razer Core X sent the display adapter to  a error mode. Because I did not want mess my now working setup, I stopped right here. I'd say that the cabling setup would work with some troubleshooting.

In MacOS your suggestion worked just fine, plug'n'play. I ran Valley, and results are below.

It seems like in this particular test we got a performance degradation of about 10-15%. My earlier benchmark with TB3 -cable directly connected to the eGPU is in my original post.

I'd say that you should expect more performance degradation from more powerful cards or higher bandwith/FPS situations.

Is it just me or is that degradation wayyy less than expected? I mean a 10-15% hit for the convenience doesn't seem too bad. But I mean if it doesn't work on Windows then that might be a problem. Thanks for the quick tests OP!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

The higher the resolution, the more on par and less degradation you will see when comparing setups.

That’s what kills me with all these YouTube videos is that they never push it to 4K and show the difference when compared to another system.

At 1080p, There is a wider margin of loss when compared to other systems.

ReplyQuote
realistic
(@realistic)

I became a little bit interested in this TB3 daisy chaining question. I think that I'll reproduce all of the tests with 3440x1440 in Windows today, if it doesn't take too much time to get system working.

edit: It seems like I get the infamous error 12 with the daisy chaining setup. I tried to disable pretty much everything, even with iGPU running, but it did not disappear. I might investigate more, or I might not. I don't know if I've got the time.

@mom
I tested Civ 6 just moments ago with my wifes 13" 2017 MBP and a eGPU, just before removing bootcamp. I saw exactly the same FPS as my 15" 2018 MBP with exactly the same settings at very late game situation, where there is a lot to render.

I'd say that the game is GPU bound in late game situations. I tried it also with RP555x in Windows, and there I hovered in around 15-20fps in native resolution of the internal screen in the same busy area in my save. On the CPU side more cores seems to shave turn processing times a little bit, which is good.

This display is already like 2-3 years old, so take that in mind. I did not have any display at the time, because I moved my old displays to our new office at area. I got this display in a absolute bargain of 450€ as used. I wanted to have enough screen estate for dual window-workflow. I work a lot with a lot of documentation and its good to have a web site/pdf/word document on the other side and mail/word/excel on the other. Also, the screen offered 99% sRGB and 300cd brightness, which are good enough for home office environment and doesn't make it a pain to watch the display after stellar displays of MBPs.

On the gaming side I did not consider anything. Everything is extra: Playing shooters is very fun with ultrawide, and racing games get also some extra feel of speed with 21:9. Civilization or Europa Universalis doesn't really get anything extra, but they're fine. I have a HDMI over RJ45 setup over to the living room, so I play all of the controller games on my TV, so no extra there either.

Nowdays I'd like to get more resolution/ppi as ultrawide, but technology is not really there yet.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 480 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

mom liked
ReplyQuote
mom
 mom
(@mom)

Posted by: realistic

I became a little bit interested in this TB3 daisy chaining question. I think that I'll reproduce all of the tests with 3440x1440 in Windows today, if it doesn't take too much time to get system working.

edit: It seems like I get the infamous error 12 with the daisy chaining setup. I tried to disable pretty much everything, even with iGPU running, but it did not disappear. I might investigate more, or I might not. I don't know if I've got the time.

@mom
I tested Civ 6 just moments ago with my wifes 13" 2017 MBP and a eGPU, just before removing bootcamp. I saw exactly the same FPS as my 15" 2018 MBP with exactly the same settings at very late game situation, where there is a lot to render.

I'd say that the game is GPU bound in late game situations. I tried it also with RP555x in Windows, and there I hovered in around 15-20fps in native resolution of the internal screen in the same busy area in my save. On the CPU side more cores seems to shave turn processing times a little bit, which is good.

This display is already like 2-3 years old, so take that in mind. I did not have any display at the time, because I moved my old displays to our new office at area. I got this display in a absolute bargain of 450€ as used. I wanted to have enough screen estate for dual window-workflow. I work a lot with a lot of documentation and its good to have a web site/pdf/word document on the other side and mail/word/excel on the other. Also, the screen offered 99% sRGB and 300cd brightness, which are good enough for home office environment and doesn't make it a pain to watch the display after stellar displays of MBPs.

On the gaming side I did not consider anything. Everything is extra: Playing shooters is very fun with ultrawide, and racing games get also some extra feel of speed with 21:9. Civilization or Europa Universalis doesn't really get anything extra, but they're fine. I have a HDMI over RJ45 setup over to the living room, so I play all of the controller games on my TV, so no extra there either.

Nowdays I'd like to get more resolution/ppi as ultrawide, but technology is not really there yet.

@realistic I'm not able to reply to the whole post right now but I have some thoughts in the meantime:

Guess no 1-cable life for me.

In your opinion, do you think an 8GB reference RX 480 on a base 2017 MBP 15" could push 50+ fps in 4K if internal monitor is closed, only the game is running, and the laptop is on a cooling pad?

Also, after reading your guide, am I to undertake that after running this setup, the eGPU becomes plug and play in Bootcamp and macOS and doesn't require you to keep re-enabling GPUs every time you switch between OS's? Unlike the website's official Bootcamp guide?

Also, why did you choose the Core X over something like the ASUS XG-Station Pro? If they were the same price or the ASUS was cheaper would you have bought the ASUS?

ReplyQuote
Mandril420
(@mandril420)

Hey Maven. I have the same flickering dots going to black screen issue that you have with my 2018 MacBook Pro 15”. I also ran integrated.bat with administrator rights but when I boot with rEFInd I have the same issues as you. We’re able to figure this out? I really want to use my internal display to play games. I have a Razer Core x with 1080Ti FE. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@613)

Same here. I hope somebody will figure this out.

This happens only after installing intel drivers. Even with dated intel drivers.

However it seems that iGPU is working fine with "Microsoft basic driver".

ReplyQuote
Inception
(@inception)

@realistic Nice build. Do you know if clamshell mode works on bootcamp with your AMD eGPU?

ReplyQuote
realistic
(@realistic)

@inception Yes.

In fact I've been clamshelling lately, when in BootCamp. With MacOS I normally put my MBP just in front of the screen and use the touchpad and MBPs keyboard.

Also the latest Windows 1809 and MacOS Mojave work just fine. First boot with 1809 took one reboot to make dGPU to go in "fail -mode". I disabled the PCIe -lane for it just in case.

I also noticed that the Razer TB3 -cable doesn't support USB3, I had to order a new one.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 480 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Inception
(@inception)

@realistic Awesome. Thank you for the info.

ReplyQuote
 of  3