Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [ttwtw1998]  

RSS

(@ttwtw1998)

First of all, I would like to thank to all the guys who have shared their experiences and successful builds here. My build can't get to work without your efforts. This will be a short guide on how to make AMD cards work in macOS (which is easy) and in Bootcamp (which is a bit tricky to figure out but easy to set up after all).

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

• Mid-2018 15" Macbook Pro, Touch Bar 
  • Cpu:  2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
  • Gpu: Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Radeon Pro 560X
  • macOS 10.14 Mojave

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Installation steps for macOS (Mojave)

1. Plug in and play for external monitor
  2. To accelerate the internal display, the new option 'prefer egpu' is helpful for most of the apps and even for all the steam games. Though, test on League of Legends fails and only the 560x is being used for some unknown reasons. 

Installation steps for win10 (only external monitor turns out to work great)

1. Install win10 via bootcamp and finish all drivers installation from Apple. 
  2. Install thunder bolt 3 driver (maybe not needed) and Update windows to the newest.
  3. Shift restart to enter windows safe mode, use DDU to uninstall the AMD driver.
  4. (Although I took these steps, I believe these are all unnecessary, the egpu will work fine without the intel igpu being detected) I did change the boot setting to allow the usb efi method to work. At the later stage, I don't think activating the igpu helps anything in case you want to use an external monitor.
  5. Plug in the egpu in the boot option page (after press option, and I suggest to plug on the right side, the second port counting from the one near to your display), boot into win10.
  6. You should see two basic adapter in the device manager, choose the egpu (use view by connection). Manually install AMD driver downloaded from the official cite. I suggest to set the external monitor as the only display.
  7. (Important!) Restart Mac without nothing plugged in except the egpu. This is really important as I found out that the 2018 MacBook Pro does not require you to disable anything for egpu to run properly, but boot to win10 with something plug into other ports cause serious stuttering issue. The stuttering (lag) cause the display to freeze 0.5 second each 2-3 seconds which makes anything unplayable. You may plug in your usb devices afterwards.
  8. Now the Mac works fine even by restarting from macOS to win10 straight away without any efi or special booting needed. My setup runs while with the Vega detected and the 560x stays as the basic adapter.

Comments

Just want to thank members of egpu.io again for providing so much helpful informations for my build to get working. Hope someone can gain some useful tips from my post.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
AAE
 AAE
(@aae)

I’ve got a very similar set up - mid-2018 MBP 2.9/32/1TB with a Sonnet 650 breakaway box and an ASUS ROG RX Vega 64 running 10.14 and the latest Windows 10. Following your direction is the closest I’ve been yet to get the eGPU seen in Windows, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. When I view device manager I see the RX Vega listed in display adapters. You say to choose this, then install the driver. I’m not really seeing an option to choose, per se. I can select it and by right clicking I get options, but nothing more... maybe that’s irrelevant. 

Things to note - I did not do step 2 or 4 since from what I’ve read installing the TB3 driver does seem unnecessary, and you thought that step 4 might be as well, so I didn’t do that either. Also important to note is that I haven’t gotten my monitor yet, so internal display only at this point.

where I am getting stuck is when I attempt to install the drivers from ASUS. I get an error that the GPU isn’t detected. Any ideas as to why? You were pretty adamant about using the external display, but I don’t see how that would affect the driver from seeing the eGPU. Any assistance would be welcomed, and thanks in advance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wiresh4rk
(@wiresh4rk)

Hey thanks for your guide!

Iam waiting for my XFX Vega 64 + Razer Core V1 to arrive.
Also have a 2018 MBP i9, 32GB, so it will be interesting if I can follow your steps and it will work seamlessly.

Does your setup still work? Anything that changed that needs attention?

rm -rf *

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

So I bought exactly the same setup and very happy so far with the results but I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

I only have internal monitor at the moment. GFX card on OC bios 

I get Geekbench Open CL 142,000

Im playing Tomb Raider 2013 and POE 2 on the Mac OS.  Tomb raider runs max gfx settings just under 60fps at 2048 x 1280 using tomb raider benchmark. Runs really nice.

Sometimes POE 2 really hammers the card and sends the fans from the card into full whack, but otherwise it just cruises pretty quiet.  When I up the res on tomb raider to try 2880 x 1800 the fps on the in game benchmark drop to 38.  This might be a noob understanding but I don't understand why the GFX card fans don't kick in much. Why is the FPS dropping but the GFX card not taking the stress.  It's the same with heaven benchmark.  The GFX card only ramps up a little.  Why does a benchmark not stress the card as much as POE 2?

Something sometimes in POE 2 game sends it really crazy.  Super loud fans and heat furiously blasting out the back of the razor case. Its pretty impressive to hear it get fully ramped up

When POE can stress it that much It doesn't feel like it's being pushed as hard as it could by heaven or tomb raider.  Anyone know why?

ReplyQuote
(@calebe_nobre)

did it work?

ReplyQuote
shellc0der
(@shellc0der)

Alright so Windows 10 works with this Setup, however... I can't get Origin/EA to run BF5. 
I always get the error "Detected AMD Radeon version 0.0.0. The required version is 16.20.1025 or later. Please update your driver at http://www.amd.com before playing the game.". 

Does anyone know how to fix it? 

My steps were: 
1 ) Install Bootcamp (Don't use the newest Win10, didn't work for me, I took the April update) 
2) Install Bootcamp Drivers when Windows starts, it automatically installs the Vega64 drivers as well. 
3) Manually update the drivers via AMD.com

Tested 3D Mark, the card is recognized and runs well, 
However, I mainly made this setup to play BFV, therefore it's kind of a downer at the moment.

EDIT1: Win10 doesn't like it when you have anything else plugged in apart from the eGPU. So don't plug in your mouse or keyboard before you fully loaded Win10.
EDIT2: I am wiresh4rk. Unfortunately this site's Wordpress is a little bit screwed and it was easier to just create a new Account than resetting the password :>)

ReplyQuote
shellc0der
(@shellc0der)

OK so the fix was to remove the internal GPU (in my case the 560X)
Just go to device manager and uninstall. 

After a reboot, even the internal screen can be run by the VEGA. 

Amazing.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@shellc0der Can you post a screen capture of Device Manager? If you remove drivers for the Radeon 560X dGPU, Windows will use basic display drivers to run the dGPU and internal display. However accelerating the internal display with the eGPU is not possible when the dGPU runs Microsoft basic display drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
shellc0der
(@shellc0der)

(@itsage) Hey thanks for your reply.

How I got to to work is so hacky-wacky it's almost too ludicrous to put in words: 
You're absolutely right about the Microsoft Standard Display Adapter Driver that comes into play as soon as you remove it manually. 

So here's I go about it: 
1) Go to Device Manager which shows two entries, the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" (which is the "unrecognized" dGPU RX560) and the recognized eGPU "Radeon RX Vega".
2) Now I have to be quick: I first "Deactivate Device" on the Microsoft Basic Display Adaper and then also "Uninstall Device"
3) Now I quickly fire up BFV and the error message is not displayed ("Detected AMD Radeon version 0.0.0. The required version is 16.20.1025 or later. Please update your driver at  http://www.amd.com  before playing the game.".)
4) This leads however to funky behaviour of the internal and external monitors, sometimes they're going full berserk and display mirror / extended views, etc. 
4B) If you're too slow, Windows already re-initialized the dGPU and the error is displayed --> start again 
5) Final step is to deactivate mirroring or extension of displays, so the eGPU can "focus" on one display

Do you (@itsage) have any idea how I can optimize this and prohibit Windows of "auto-installing" the RX560
Quite annoying to have this workflow everytime I want to start a game. 

Performance-wise: tested this setup with ULTRA settings on 2K resolution in BFV and got 60FPS, sometimes drops to 50 FPS.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@shellc0der Uninstall drivers for a particular device in Device Manager doesn’t remove the drivers completely. This is why Windows can still automatically install drivers when it detects new components (dGPU in this case). To keep things predictable, you can follow the OP’s directions by using DDU to completely remove Nvidia & AMD graphics drivers. This will prevent auto-installation of drivers for the 560X dGPU. It will use Microsoft Basic Display drivers to keep the internal display working (no acceleration). You can then hot-plug the AMD eGPU in Windows Desktop and proceed to download and install the latest Radeon drivers from AMD website. Reboot and your eGPU should be working.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
beppedessi
(@beppedessi)

I am going to build a set up like yours. Some news about League of Legends? It is the game that I play most of the times...

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Assuming this is similar to the CS:GO issue, then the game file shows up as an executable under the Get Info window and thus you can't set to "Prefer External GPU". If the game file itself (not shortcut or anything) shows up as an Application with the "Prefer External GPU" option then it should work with eGPU on internal display in macOS.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Flax
 Flax
(@flax)

@SA1L
Thank you so much for your guide! It helped me to get my setup to work! again thanks!

After trying this a few times (had to re-install because of the Battlefield 5 AMD driver update issue..) I found out a pretty simple and straight forward way with my setup for windows, that I also can be useful. (An external monitor is a must with this guide and do not connect any external mouse or keyboard during the process)

1. Install Windows 10 via bootcamp and finish all drivers from Apple+Windows (under Windows update)
2. Plug in the Razer Core X in the Thunderbolt port on the left side closest to your MacBooks screen (I found this TB port to be the one who detects the Razer Core X fastest and probably best)
3. Wait until Windows has detected and "installed" your graphics card through the Razer Core X - when so your screen will go black (no worries)
4. Force restart the MacBook (hold the MacBook power on/off button down for 6-10 seconds. Turn the MacBook on while holding the option button down to get to OS options.
5. Plug in the Razer Core X in the Thunderbolt port on the right side and most far away from your MacBook screen.
6. Turn on the Razer Core X and select Windows as OS. The Windows loading screen will turn up for a few seconds an then the MacBook will go black. Wait until your external monitor shows the Windows log-in screen. The process where the MacBooks screen turns black under Windows startup until log-in screen is normal and will do that every time.

That's it. I can now switch between MacOS and Windows 10 without turning the Razer Core X off - no EFI boot needed.

NB: If you connect external mouse and keyboard (mine is from Razer) then use the TB ports on the left side of the MacBook. If you plug them in on the right side (the same side as the Razer Core X) Windows will constantly crash and restart. At least is was the case for me.
I hope you guys found the above useful and I'm happy to contribute to this great community.

Edit:
My workaround for the 0.0.0. (16.25.10) error was simply:
1. Go to device manager and uninstall/delete the MacBooks internal Radeon 560X and do a reboot.
2. Windows may install a Windows basic card. Go to device manager again and uinstall/delete the Windows basic card leaving only the Egpu card visible (in my case the Vega 64)
3. Run Battlefield 5 with no problems. I did not use the DDU process.

This post was modified 10 months ago

MacBook Pro 15" late 2018/Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+/Razer Core X/Alienware AW2518HF/MacOS 10.14/Windows 10 Bootcamp.

ReplyQuote