Mid 2018 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar RP555X + [email protected] (HP Omen Accelerator) + macOS 10.3.6(17G2208)/Win10 1803 on external drive  

RSS

(@bill_jia)
August 28, 2018 5:33 am  

System specs

• Mid 2018 15" MacBook Pro (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB + AMD Radeon Pro 555X 4096MB)
  • High Sierra 10.13.26 (17G2208)
  • 23.6-inch (1920 x 1080) Viewsonic VX2471 Display

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps 

macOS:
Using fr34k's automatic Nvidia eGPU setup.  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-fr34ks-macos-egpu-sh-one-script-all-solutions-fully-automated/
Something important:

• Do not forget to disable SIP in Recovery (Command + R when booting).
  • !! Use TERMINAL.app to run the script (Not iTerm)
  • Never hotplug/unplug.
  • !!! Disable your dGPU. The system will get really slow when the dGPU is working, just disable it. Run this in your bash:
sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0

Here 0 is iGPU only, 1 is dGPU only, 2 is auto-switch (using dGPU in some GPU intensive apps like photos.app).
You may encounter some rendering error when you log in the OS (which I always). I don't know it's a serious problem or not. 

(Sorry for my mandarin system.)

Windows 10 1803 on an external drive (a Samsung 860 Evo):
(Just in case that the storage of the macOS runs out.)
Using 9to5mac tutorial of installing Win10 on an external drive.  https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/31/how-windows-10-mac-boot-camp-external-drive-video/
Install all the boot camp drivers and update your OS to the latest.
Just plug it in before booting and it can be detected. (Still not hotplug/unplug)
Install latest Nvidia driver and everything is just fine.
The internal display is not working because it's so complicated and risky to disable dGPU and enable iGPU in boot camp mode. (If you're looking for that, sorry bro)

Benchmarks 

macOS:
cuda-z

Unigine Valley:

Windows 10 1803:

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

Gaming performance on windows is decent enough to play latest 3A games like AC: Origin.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
danielb14065
(@danielb14065)
September 1, 2018 5:17 pm  

Hey, awesome setup and thanks for all the details! I have the same laptop as you and am considering doing a similar setup. I'm trying to figure out which Nvidia graphics card to get, so I was wondering if you could talk about how you chose 1070Ti. Do you feel like there are any bottlenecks in your current system? Do you think a 1080Ti would perform better?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@bill_jia)
October 23, 2018 9:29 am  

I feel sorry about that because in Mojave the whole setup does NOT work anymore. I'm still waiting for the nVidia web driver update and thus cannot carry out a single test now.

ReplyQuote
bebecap
(@bebecap)
October 23, 2018 10:07 pm  

Hey! Cool that you are able to set up this build. I also have HP Omen + GeForce 1080, MBP 2018. I tried make it work with High Sierra and Mojave but it doesn't work. I even don't see Thunderbolt device in Device Manager. Did you make some workaround or was it ok from the box? What TB3 port have you used? Do you see TB device in device manager with Mojave?

ReplyQuote