Mid 2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar Core i9 RP560X + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [Skynets]  

RSS

Skynets
(@skynets)
October 6, 2018 2:50 pm  

System specs:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9-8950HK
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
OS1: OSX 10.14 Mojave
OS2: Windows 10 (1809)

eGPU hardware:
Sonnet Breakaway 550 + MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G (OC) + 0.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable
*Internal Screen

Installation steps:
1) Install Windows 10 with the help of Bootcamp assistant.
2) Waiting for the installation of all Apple drivers for bootcamp.
3) Turn off Windows.
4) Connect already turned off eGPU
5) Run Windows. After the spinning system boot logo appears, after about 3-5 seconds, turn on the power on the eGPU power supply. (It takes me two turns of the loading ring, and the third long ring, the power supplied)
6) If you managed to turn on the eGPU in time, the system will boot up successfully and install the drivers.
7) Update drivers using GeForce Experience utility. (Other methods do not work)
8) Use with pleasure.

Benchmarks:

OC was as follows:
GPU: 2050 MHz
Memory : 6010 MHz
The temperature did not rise above 50 degrees.

Comments:
Note#1. Owners of 15 " MBP 2018 do not need to disable any PCIe controllers. Each TB3 port works exactly the same. As you can see from the screenshot, the GPU has the highest possible bandwidth.

Note#2. I used the internal display  on my MBP. To activate and operate the eGPU on the internal monitor, it is necessary:
1)Open Settings.
2)Click on System.
3)Click on Display.
4)Under” Multiple displays, " click the Advanced graphics settings link.

5) Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:
   5.1) Classic app-these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs. (I use this)
   When you select Classic app, you'll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe " file to add the app. 
6) Select the app you added from the list.
7) Click the Options button.

8) Set the graphics preference you want to use:
System default - this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.
Power saving - runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.
High performance - runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.
9) Click the Save button.

mac_editor and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 6, 2018 4:57 pm  

Thank you for sharing your successful build. Nvidia eGPU is definitely more setup-friendly to these 2018 MacBook Pros. Your boot up procedure is similar to hot-plugging the eGPU at Windows logo spinning circles. Have you tried hot-plugging once Windows fully loads? What about eGPU attached and powered on prior to booting?

In my testings, a connected eGPU prior to booting will yellow-bang the dGPU/iGPU on the 2018 MacBook Pro and cause the internal display to be black or stuck on Windows logo. Hot-plugging an Nvidia eGPU once Windows fully loads works similar to hot-plugging at the Windows logo spinning circles.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Skynets
(@skynets)
October 7, 2018 10:35 am  

I tried to connect eGPU before turning on windows. But in the end got a black screen after loading.

And hot plugging after boot logo not working, as it does not run the soft NVIDIA that monitors eGPU.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Aram
 Aram
(@aram)
October 14, 2018 4:17 am  

Hi, can you please tell if it is possible to use MBP 2018 with Nvidia eGPU without needing to plug the T3 cable everytime at W logo if I need only an external display? I just want to leave it connected and to turn on/off the system when I need. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member
October 15, 2018 5:16 am  
Posted by: Aram

Hi, can you please tell if it is possible to use MBP 2018 with Nvidia eGPU without needing to plug the T3 cable everytime at W logo if I need only an external display? I just want to leave it connected and to turn on/off the system when I need. Thanks.

Deactivate the dGPU in the device manager

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
November 1, 2018 7:06 am  

I used this same method. It works for the most part, but I can't get some .exe files to work with the eGPU. It just defaults to the dGPU.

ReplyQuote