Mid 2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Windows Bootcamp 1803 [flipperkoala]  

RSS

(@flipperkoala)
October 6, 2018 4:57 am  

Introduction:

I wanted to build a setup in where I can use my 82” Samsung UHD TV as a PC monitor and enjoy some high frame-rate gaming. Input lag on my TV is not a lot when Game Mode is active.

Hardware

• Mid 2018 15” MacBook Pro with Touchbar
  • Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
  • I9 8750k Intel Processor
  • 32GB of Ram
  • 82” Samsung NU8000 UHD TV
  • eGPU Razer Core X

Installation steps (Windows Bootcamp):

Special thanks to Eightarmedpet and ICULikeMac for helping me out in putting this build together. What otherwise should have been a simple setup turned out to be an absolute nightmare for me because of an amature mistake I did in not connecting my graphics card with my eGPU correctly. I spend two hours with Eightarmedpet trying to put this build together and my main issue was that although my eGPU was getting detected I was still getting error 43.

Luckily, I found that ICULikeMac lives two streets down my place and I decided to meet him to get it working. We followed the method of creating external EFI usb-boot drive to boot into the Windows by disabling the dGPU and forcing the system to use iGPU. That means disabling the onboard Radeon Rx 560 X GPU and using the processor’s GPU for internal display. Anyway, even after setting everything up we were not getting past Error 43 and the main reason was the I didn’t plug the cables in my eGPU right. My card had 4 missing connections. Gigabyte GTX 1080ti comes with 8X8 female sockets and all of them need to be connected with Razor’s 8x8 male connectors. As soon as I got this fixed, bang! The error was gone.

Exact Method of using Razer Core X:

I log into my Windows and then hot-plug my eGPU in top-right USB-C (thunderbolt 3) connector. After couple of sounds, my card gets recognised instantly. I can then play any game I want.

Benchmarks (Tom Clancy’s The Division:

In Tom Clancy’s The Division I am getting around 97 FPS at 1440p, 120Hz with high settings.

Package Temperature:

My Mac sits on Deepcool Wind Pal and its average temperature doesn’t exceed more than 70°C, so no issues of thermal throttling at the moment

Benchmarks:

2018 15" MacBook Pro 2018 i9 32GB 1TB-SSD
Razor Core X + GTX 1080 Ti

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@david_rose)
October 11, 2018 1:39 am  

Congrats on getting it all working, that setup looks great! Crazy you guys happen to live so close each other. I'm working on a similar build - 2018 MacBook Pro with the i7. The Razer Core X just arrived today and I'm putting a EVGA 1080 Ti in it. Did you follow the "Windows: egpu on TB3 MacBook Pro" in the "How to" section?

Also, do you experience high temps without the Deepcool Wind Pal?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@flipperkoala)
October 16, 2018 12:01 am  

Yes, I did follow that procedure. The temps are not too bad ever since I deactivated Turbo on my processor. The Division is fairly GPU intensive game so it's not too bad in terms of raising CPU's temperature.

2018 15" MacBook Pro 2018 i9 32GB 1TB-SSD
Razor Core X + GTX 1080 Ti

ReplyQuote