mid-2018 15“ MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + Vega [email protected] (Venus Mantiz) + macOS 10.13.6 (schmaexx)  

RSS

schmaexx
(@schmaexx)
August 2, 2018 3:35 pm  

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

MacBook Pro 2018, Intel Core i7-8850H @ 2,6 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Radeon Pro 560X, MacOS 10.13.6

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Venus Mantiz space-grey, Vega 64 Gigabyte Gaming OC, 0,5m TB3 cable

Apparently I got a new revision of Venus Mantiz with a larger fan (?), so no need to change the fan on this larger version.

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Plug&Play with MacOS

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
Running with stock PSU, so far running stable.
Vega64 is connected to a 43 inch 4k Philips monitor @4k 60hz and a LG 34" monitor @3440x1440 @50Hz (something with HDMI limits of the monitor, will check this out in the following days)

nanoBit, nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@dmitry_taburetkin)
August 14, 2018 4:19 pm  

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-RXVEGA64GAMING-OC-8GD
Is this your vega?
Have you tried to load it? Do you try a long time render, gaming or something else? Build is still stable?
Will you try to add ssd to your build?

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member
August 14, 2018 4:36 pm  

Does it work well in Bootcamp? (Plug&Play or at least without any driver issues, lags and that stuff?) Would be interesting for gaming 😅

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
schmaexx
(@schmaexx)
August 15, 2018 1:48 pm  

@Dmitry Taburetkin

Yes, this is the card. It had a pretty price drop to 500€ in the last weeks, so i pulled the trigger (most other Vega 64 boards are still around 600€). According to Anandtech the Gigabyte Card pulls significantly less power (around 30-40 Watts) than stock boards. I let Unigine Valley run for a while, to see if it shows any signs of crashing or instability, but it has not so far. Rendering videos with Final Cut Pro X was also without problems (newest Mojave Beta with eGPU support).
I am currently looking for a SSD for Time Machine Backups to install. But I first wanted to thoroughly test the case and the power supply, before I add more stuff through it.

@NanoBit: Have not tried out Boot Camp, due to Mojave Beta and Boot Camp having issues with eGPU (there are several threads about this here already).

ReplyQuote
(@blake_seufert)
August 16, 2018 2:45 am  

Any stability issues at all since you've been using it a while?

Also any game experiences? Interested to see if fortnite is stutter free (as most people are getting average performance on mac)

Thanks

ReplyQuote
schmaexx
(@schmaexx)
August 21, 2018 2:26 pm  

No stability issues so far. I have tried an endless loop of Unigine Valley for stability testing and some older games in 4k. Rendering, exporting video projects with high loads has also run smoothly so far. Performance for Unigine Valley is excellent, rendering videos is as expected (waiting for a bit more optimization, maybe rendering on multiple GPUs in FCP X).

I just ordered a 1TB SSD, to integrate Timemachine backup (and Windows partition) into the case. Will report back, maybe with some Win benchmarks then.

ReplyQuote
schmaexx
(@schmaexx)
September 15, 2018 11:09 am  

Mini-Update: Installed a 1TB SSD for TimeMachine Backups. Backups are really fast (150+ MB/s). Love it.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan_chettiar)
October 17, 2018 7:44 pm  

Can you give a step by step process of how you set it up: SSD, GPU, Ethernet, Drivers as I have my mantiz venus, ssd, gpu etc but i want a clear guide?

ReplyQuote
(@kelvin_tan)
October 23, 2018 3:03 am  

Any issues with sleep especially in clamshell mode?

ReplyQuote