Mid-2018 15" MacBook Pro + Vega 64 + Razer Core X + macOS 10.14 + Windows 10 bootcamp  

RSS

SA1L
(@ttwtw1998)
October 11, 2018 8:20 pm  

First of all, I would like to thank to all the guys who have shared their experiences and successful builds here. My build can't get to work without your efforts. This will be a short guide on how to make AMD cards work in macOS (which is easy) and in Bootcamp (which is a bit tricky to figure out but easy to set up after all).

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

• Mid-2018 15" Macbook Pro, Touch Bar 
  • Cpu:  2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
  • Gpu: Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Radeon Pro 560X
  • macOS 10.14 Mojave

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Installation steps for macOS (Mojave)

1. Plug in and play for external monitor
  2. To accelerate the internal display, the new option 'prefer egpu' is helpful for most of the apps and even for all the steam games. Though, test on League of Legends fails and only the 560x is being used for some unknown reasons. 

Installation steps for win10 (only external monitor turns out to work great)

1. Install win10 via bootcamp and finish all drivers installation from Apple. 
  2. Install thunder bolt 3 driver (maybe not needed) and Update windows to the newest.
  3. Shift restart to enter windows safe mode, use DDU to uninstall the AMD driver.
  4. (Although I took these steps, I believe these are all unnecessary, the egpu will work fine without the intel igpu being detected) I did change the boot setting to allow the usb efi method to work. At the later stage, I don't think activating the igpu helps anything in case you want to use an external monitor.
  5. Plug in the egpu in the boot option page (after press option, and I suggest to plug on the right side, the second port counting from the one near to your display), boot into win10.
  6. You should see two basic adapter in the device manager, choose the egpu (use view by connection). Manually install AMD driver downloaded from the official cite. I suggest to set the external monitor as the only display.
  7. (Important!) Restart Mac without nothing plugged in except the egpu. This is really important as I found out that the 2018 MacBook Pro does not require you to disable anything for egpu to run properly, but boot to win10 with something plug into other ports cause serious stuttering issue. The stuttering (lag) cause the display to freeze 0.5 second each 2-3 seconds which makes anything unplayable. You may plug in your usb devices afterwards.
  8. Now the Mac works fine even by restarting from macOS to win10 straight away without any efi or special booting needed. My setup runs while with the Vega detected and the 560x stays as the basic adapter.

Comments

Just want to thank members of egpu.io again for providing so much helpful informations for my build to get working. Hope someone can gain some useful tips from my post.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
AAE
 AAE
(@aae)
October 14, 2018 12:42 am  

I’ve got a very similar set up - mid-2018 MBP 2.9/32/1TB with a Sonnet 650 breakaway box and an ASUS ROG RX Vega 64 running 10.14 and the latest Windows 10. Following your direction is the closest I’ve been yet to get the eGPU seen in Windows, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. When I view device manager I see the RX Vega listed in display adapters. You say to choose this, then install the driver. I’m not really seeing an option to choose, per se. I can select it and by right clicking I get options, but nothing more... maybe that’s irrelevant. 

Things to note - I did not do step 2 or 4 since from what I’ve read installing the TB3 driver does seem unnecessary, and you thought that step 4 might be as well, so I didn’t do that either. Also important to note is that I haven’t gotten my monitor yet, so internal display only at this point.

where I am getting stuck is when I attempt to install the drivers from ASUS. I get an error that the GPU isn’t detected. Any ideas as to why? You were pretty adamant about using the external display, but I don’t see how that would affect the driver from seeing the eGPU. Any assistance would be welcomed, and thanks in advance.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wiresh4rk
(@wiresh4rk)
December 13, 2018 9:01 pm  

Hey thanks for your guide!

Iam waiting for my XFX Vega 64 + Razer Core V1 to arrive.
Also have a 2018 MBP i9, 32GB, so it will be interesting if I can follow your steps and it will work seamlessly.

Does your setup still work? Anything that changed that needs attention?

rm -rf *

ReplyQuote