Setup & Software Discussions
2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG)...

2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [cagalos]  

RSS

cagalos
(@cagalos)

System specs

• MSI GE62 6QD 15.6-inch
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
  • iGPU: Intel 530
  • dGPU: GTX 960M

eGPU hardware 

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps

1. Cut a hole in the base of the laptop to pas the m.2 cable through. It was pretty easy to do using a small saw.
  2. I used sandpaper on this side because I couldn’t close the case without applying significant force to the m.2 cable. After that, it was easy to close.
  3. Plug the 14 pin and 4 pin CPU from the PSU to the R43SG, then use the included 6 pin to 8 pin cable to power the GPU from the R43SG board.
  4. Turn on PSU and laptop, two green lights will turn on the board. At this point, the egpu is not recognized as such by Windows. Install AMD drivers and you are ready to go. (Restart might be required) The cool thing about using AMD in this setup was that I could have both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs living inside the same machine. Also, I did not need to uninstall any NVIDIA drivers.

Benchmarks 

Comments

If you are considering in buying the R43SG, I recommend you getting the 50cm cable. I chose the 25 cm which limited my build possibilities.

At first my plan was to bend the cable so it could go through the DVD drive slot. However, the cable was too small and it required significant force to bend which scared me.

I made this DIY laptop stand from shelfs brackets. Here is the link:
http://irisclasson.com/2015/01/19/diy-modern-laptop-stand-in-5mins-for-10-usd/

A friend of mine helped me to make the custom acrylic enclosure so I could have a little less exposed system.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

AMZMA liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Sagermand
(@sagermand)

@cagalos

hello.. we have almost same laptop as mine.. what additional tweaks you do.. is this plug and play? do you modify the BIOS? your reply is appreciated thanks...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
cagalos
(@cagalos)

Hi @sagermand, it really was plug and play, that was the best part! I haven't touch my bios in years btw.

ReplyQuote
Sagermand
(@sagermand)

@cagalos Wow thats nice.. hows the performance till now? and additional question where should I attach the cable if Im planning to use bigger Monitor..   GPU port or in the laptop port?

ReplyQuote
cagalos
(@cagalos)

@sagermand

Performance is good, as it was the in the first day, I haven't had any major problems until now. If you mean the hdmi cable, definitely to the GPU otherwise you wouldn't get as much performance.

ReplyQuote
Sagermand
(@sagermand)

thanks for the info... do you think 1600 series nvidia cards will work on this?

ReplyQuote