2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [cagalos]
- MSI GE62 6QD 15.6-inch
- CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
- iGPU: Intel 530
- dGPU: GTX 960M
- OS: Windows 10 1803
- Cut a hole in the base of the laptop to pas the m.2 cable through. It was pretty easy to do using a small saw.
- I used sandpaper on this side because I couldn’t close the case without applying significant force to the m.2 cable. After that, it was easy to close.
- Plug the 14 pin and 4 pin CPU from the PSU to the R43SG, then use the included 6 pin to 8 pin cable to power the GPU from the R43SG board.
- Turn on PSU and laptop, two green lights will turn on the board. At this point, the egpu is not recognized as such by Windows. Install AMD drivers and you are ready to go. (Restart might be required) The cool thing about using AMD in this setup was that I could have both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs living inside the same machine. Also, I did not need to uninstall any NVIDIA drivers.
If you are considering in buying the R43SG, I recommend you getting the 50cm cable. I chose the 25 cm which limited my build possibilities.
At first my plan was to bend the cable so it could go through the DVD drive slot. However, the cable was too small and it required significant force to bend which scared me.
I made this DIY laptop stand from shelfs brackets. Here is the link:
A friend of mine helped me to make the custom acrylic enclosure so I could have a little less exposed system.
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts