2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG)...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [cagalos]  

of  2
  RSS

cagalos
(@cagalos)

System specs

• MSI GE62 6QD 15.6-inch
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
  • iGPU: Intel 530
  • dGPU: GTX 960M

eGPU hardware 

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps

1. Cut a hole in the base of the laptop to pas the m.2 cable through. It was pretty easy to do using a small saw.
  2. I used sandpaper on this side because I couldn’t close the case without applying significant force to the m.2 cable. After that, it was easy to close.
  3. Plug the 14 pin and 4 pin CPU from the PSU to the R43SG, then use the included 6 pin to 8 pin cable to power the GPU from the R43SG board.
  4. Turn on PSU and laptop, two green lights will turn on the board. At this point, the egpu is not recognized as such by Windows. Install AMD drivers and you are ready to go. (Restart might be required) The cool thing about using AMD in this setup was that I could have both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs living inside the same machine. Also, I did not need to uninstall any NVIDIA drivers.

Benchmarks 

Comments

If you are considering in buying the R43SG, I recommend you getting the 50cm cable. I chose the 25 cm which limited my build possibilities.

At first my plan was to bend the cable so it could go through the DVD drive slot. However, the cable was too small and it required significant force to bend which scared me.

I made this DIY laptop stand from shelfs brackets. Here is the link:
http://irisclasson.com/2015/01/19/diy-modern-laptop-stand-in-5mins-for-10-usd/

A friend of mine helped me to make the custom acrylic enclosure so I could have a little less exposed system.

2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

AMZMA liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Sagermand
(@sagermand)

@cagalos

hello.. we have almost same laptop as mine.. what additional tweaks you do.. is this plug and play? do you modify the BIOS? your reply is appreciated thanks...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cagalos
(@cagalos)

Hi @sagermand, it really was plug and play, that was the best part! I haven't touch my bios in years btw.

2015 15" MSI GE62 6QD (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sagermand
(@sagermand)

@cagalos Wow thats nice.. hows the performance till now? and additional question where should I attach the cable if Im planning to use bigger Monitor..   GPU port or in the laptop port?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cagalos
(@cagalos)

@sagermand

Performance is good, as it was the in the first day, I haven't had any major problems until now. If you mean the hdmi cable, definitely to the GPU otherwise you wouldn't get as much performance.

ReplyQuote
Sagermand
(@sagermand)

thanks for the info... do you think 1600 series nvidia cards will work on this?

ReplyQuote
Guilherme Vilhena
(@guilherme_vilhena)

@cagalos

Hello,

Nice post!

I am building a setup like yours. My configurations are pretty much the same:

System specs

• MSI GE62 6QD 15.6-inch
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
  • iGPU: Intel 530
  • dGPU: GTX 960M

eGPU hardware 

I have installed the eGPU to my machine and installed the most recent drives, but I am facing a funny problem:

When the eGPU is under load (game or benchmark) and with the HDMI cable connect directly from it to the monitor it starts to freeze. On games, for example, the screen starts to blink and of a sudden go black (it blink sometimes with the game image, and black for long periods again, and stay black). I have realized that when changed graphics setting from Highest to Lowest this problem is not so often. By the way, the game I was testing was Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Another funny fact is that when I disconnect the HDMI from the eGPU and start to run the game on the built-in display, this problem does exist. If I connect the HDMI to the motherboard HDMI output, the problem returns.

I have disabled the NVIDIA driver, but it does not solve it. I also disable the Intel 530 graphics, but no success at all.

The problem is not the HDMI cable, since I have used it until now, and it works perfectly.

I can see in GPU-z that the port is working as it should (PCIe 16x 3.0)

How have been your stability so far?

Have you faced a similar problem?

Have any clues why this is happening?

Thank you in advance!

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
cagalos
(@cagalos)

@sagermand I am pretty sure it will. But it never hurts to do some research beforehand.

@guilherme_vilhena Thanks! I have never had such issues, it has been pretty stable for me. From what you describe it sounds like a power issue, especially if it happens under heavy load. Are you sure your pins are connected to the right places? Is your PSU chinese or generic?

Maybe you got a faulty R43SG? It's hard to say.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Guilherme Vilhena
(@guilherme_vilhena)

@cagalos

Well, thanks for the support.

I already think about this, but if one of those things was faulty would not make sense they work well with the built-in display, and work badly when HDMI is connected. Am I wrong?

Pins are on the right spot.

PSU is from anima 600w...

ReplyQuote
cagalos
(@cagalos)

@guilherme_vilhena

Have you tried with another GPU?

ReplyQuote
 of  2