2011 15" Dell L502X + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win7 [felipe.skeeter]^ // modded BIOS, 12V AC adapter  

RSS

felipe.skeeter
(@felipe-skeeter)
February 19, 2017 11:45 pm  

Hello there, I have a Dell XPS L502X and i'm stucked on EVGA installation, more details in next lines:

My Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 L502x (the same model as @himansh512);
i7 2670QM @2.2GHz
Ram - 8Gb
Internal LCD 1080p.
dGPU NVidia GT 525M

EGPU Components

Beast EXP GDC v8.4d - mPCIe;
NVidia GTX 1050 2GB (EVGA);
An Universal Notebook Charger 12v, 90W, 4,5A with Beast EXP GDC's compatible energy entrance
(the videocard requires only 75w and don't need an optional ATX six-pin slot, so, I opted to use this)

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition x64;
eGPU setup 1.35 by Nando

Steps:

- Installed eGPU setup obtained By Nando.
 - Removed old nvidia graphics drivers with DDU;
 - Restarted notebook, boot over Setup 1.35
 - Disabled the internal NVidia internal GPU (dGPU);
 - Tryed to detect the new videocard by connecting all the components described above using the Universal Notebook charger and the mPCIe cable to an extra mPCIe slot near WWan entrance who have a label indicating "TV".

The problem:

- For some reason the EGPU was not detected by notebook. It turns on by showing the green light and the videocard cooler activating, but only these happens.

Tries:

1 - Tried to boot up notebook with all equip connected.  Got a blank screen who interrupts boot sequence. Same result when changing the PTD switch to "7s" or "15s";
2 - Tried to boot over Windows and connect the mPCIe cable. The eGPU isn't recognized neither;
3 - Tried to boot over setup 1.35, by the menu command choice and hitting f5 after hotswapping the free mPCIe slot, or the WWAN slot. Same response.

My results so far:

The DC adapter who i use seems not compatible with the tutorial. Looking in the @himansh512 post ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2011-15-6-dell-xps-15-l502x-gtx-1060-3gb-oc2gbps-mpcieexp-gdc-v8-4d-win-7-professional-64-bit/#post-2458), it seems the paperclip jumper trick is nedded to turns device on before connection with the mPCIe cable on notebook.

Am i right in these thoughts or there are more steps i lost?

======= UPDATE =======

Trick: Changing the PSU Universal Notebook Charger for an ATX Thermaltake 360W with the paperclip trick described by @himansh512 really made the videocard detectable.

I strongly recommend the @himansh512 tutorial described here. I also ordered an Dell PSU as described in tutorial for make my desk more organized.

An addition who may i put here is for exclusively for my videocard model, an Geforce GTX 1050. That's an 2016 videocard, that one isn't compatible with Driver 372.90, who was reported here, given an 43 error. Well, i have an modified bios (downloadable here) who made me able to edit the mpcie settings like hotplugging (turned on) and disable all references by error reporting. After did that, i got no problems at all and have a great performance in comparison to internal Nvidia GPU. For reference, i installed the first driver release (desktop version 375.63) for this videocard.

I will made new changes in my configuration (i still insisting in test the WWAN/TV mpcie slot just for fun after i made it enabled via modified bios), but the main objective now is complete. Thanks all for supporting!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 19, 2017 11:48 pm  

Try using the wifi rather than WWAN/TV slot. wifi definitely has PCIe wired which is required for eGPU functionality.. TV/WWAN may just be USB.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
February 20, 2017 11:21 am  

Be sure that the adapter deliver the 90w on the connector.

Also go in the bios and try to disable the external USB port, in the miscellaneous devices tab.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
himansh512
(@himansh512)
February 20, 2017 2:08 pm  

Hey felipe.skeeter, I faced same problem as you, for me jumper trick did the trick to make it work. And also use Wi-Fi slot rather then WWAN port to connect egpu.

Also if your Gfx does not require any big psu then buy Dell DA-2 adapter 220W rather then 90W, I would suggest. And jumper that Dell DA-2 too as explained in this link below:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

With jumper trick I hotswap them while I'm in egpu boot setup. Just read my implementation and do what I did. I hope same steps will solve your problem. 🙂

Dell XPS 15 L502X
CPU: i7 2670 QM ~ GPU: Nvidia 540M 2GB ~ Memory: 8GB DDR3 ~ HDD: 750GB @7200rpm ~ Display: 1080p @ 60Hz

ReplyQuote
felipe.skeeter
(@felipe-skeeter)
February 20, 2017 4:07 pm  

Thanks for support guys, i'll lend after tomorrow an atx 450w psu for more testing until i buy a new one, i'm very interested in @himansh comment about jumpeable Dell DA-2 adapter 220W, that psu seems nice, but my budget give me a gap until next week 🙂  I'll do more tests in a few days and update this topic, thanks again.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ajayajayaj
(@ajayajayaj)
Trusted Member
March 5, 2017 7:43 pm  

I'm planning on getting a modded bios not, do you have any tips to finding a good one for your laptop, and making sure not to brick your laptop.

For reference, I have an Asus U57A laptop with APTIO Bios I think.

All of the current things I found don't say they support sandy bridge, witch is what I have so I'm not sure what to do.

2011 15" Asus U57A + [email protected] (EXP GDC) + Win10 [no guide]

ReplyQuote
chenkiong
(@chenkiong)
March 6, 2017 1:17 am  

thx felipe.skeeter for shareing your success stroy.

i now more confident about my egpu setup. hopefully someone can help me modify my acer 4750g to unlock hotplug. 

hope all 1050 user solve the 43 error prob

ReplyQuote
plasmaGuy
(@plasmaguy)
August 20, 2017 6:18 pm  

Within a few days , my egpu adapter exp gdc beast would arrive and I'd be using an asus 1050ti. I'm confused as to what power supply to use, I stay in a hostel and any desktop atx PSU would use up limited table space and would be bulky. I've read that the gdc beast can take in 150 watts from the DC in port. The card's tdp is 75w ,so could you please recommend an appropriate AC/DC adapter? would a Dell 130w charger suffice?

2011 15" Dell L502X + [email protected] (PCE164P-N03) + Win7 & Ubuntu Linux 17.10 [plasmaGuy ]^ // modded BIOS

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 20, 2017 6:54 pm  

@Jaswant Panchumarti, the 220w Dell DA-2 PSU is readily available in most markets at at affordable cost and comes recommended. The EXP GDC has an 8pin input port especially for it, fanning out extra power via a 6-pin plug to PCIe power connectors. 220W giving lots of headroom for even more powerful video cards should you require it.  Only downside is it's a rather large and heavy adapter.

You could take a try a smaller 12V/120W 5.5*2.5 mm AC adapters like this 120W AC Adapter Charger (£23) or eFreesia 12V 10A 120W ($22) though do note the lack of success using one in this thread.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

plasmaGuy liked
ReplyQuote