2015 HP ProDesk Mini 600 G2 + [email protected] (ADT R53SF ) + Win10 [ciforia]^  

RSS

ciforia
(@ciforia)
October 30, 2017 8:38 am  

Hi all,

I need your help regarding issue as follow

• I have ordered 2 items from ADT, they shipped the item via EMS, approximately taking 3-4 days, arriving this week at the latest (R43SL for M.2 key M to PCIe x16, and R53SF for M.2 key A/E to PCIe x16)
  • I use HP Prodesk Mini 600 G2 (Nettop form factor, no PCIe x16 Slot), planning to add eGPU with 1050 Ti/1060 6gb
  • Slot that I will be using is either M.2 PCIe x4 3.0 (M Key/NVME) or M.2 PCIe x1 3.0 (E key/WLAN+BT).
  • I currently use the M.2 PCIe x4 for my NVME SSD (boot device), so first option is to use the WLAN card slot (M.2 E Key) with R53SF (M.2 key A/E to PCIe x16). However, there’re some significant hurdles in this setup especially considering HP’s whitelist issue. If I’m not mistaken, the DIY 1.3x can solve this whitelist problem, can you confirm that? I realized that there will be higher performance penalty coming from this setup (PCIe x13.0  bandwith of only 8gbps).
  • If, however that setup couldn’t get to work, second option is to clone my OS from M.2 to HDD and use M.2 PCIe x4 slot to implement the eGPU.
  • However, I noticed in the ADT R43SL implementation guide by Hunew that the cable powering the PCIe lanes is 4 pins floppy connector, with auxiliary power coming straight from PSU to VGA card. Is this true?
  • This concern me since if I’m not mistaken the power delivery by 4 pins floppy connector will only carry maximum power of 60 watt without getting warm (12V * 5A), and the 1050 Ti will need about 75W of power. For 1060 card, with maximum power of 120 watt this shouldn’t be an issue since PCIe+Aux power combined will be 135 watt (60 from PCIe + 75 from 4 pins connector from PSU

Thanks a lot guys

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
October 30, 2017 3:13 pm  

The 4-pin floppy connector was used to provide slot power in older BPlus PE4L 2.1 mPCIe/EC adapters without issue.

A wifi slot eGPU is likely going to work using detection methods like outlined at:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

Wait for delivery of the M.2 SSD slot eGPU adapter to test that one.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ciforia liked
ReplyQuote
ciforia
(@ciforia)
November 1, 2017 2:47 pm  

Just received the adapter. Unexpectedly, everything went so smooth. I'm using 9800GT as test bench. Now installing the driver...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ciforia
(@ciforia)
November 8, 2017 6:45 pm  

Hi all,

System is up and running with GTX 1060. So far so good. I somehow didn't face the driver problem (the slot is not hotplug capabled) and currently using version 388.13, it was just like installing card on a PC.

System

• 2015 HP Prodesk Mini Desktop 600 G2
  • I3 6100T (35W TDP), Q150 Chipset
  • 16GB RAM - 2133Mhz
  • M.2 Slot 1 - Samsung NVME PCIe 256GB
  • 500GB HDD

eGPU Setup

• GTX 1060 on M.2 Slot 2 - Key E
  • ADT R53SF M.2 Key A/E
  • LG 27UD68 4K Monitor
  • beside the DC input for the mini desktop, I am using another PSU to drive the GTX 1060.

Results

As this is 6th Gen, I am getting 8Gb/s bandwidth over PCIe 3.0 x1.Below is the pictures of the setup.

20171109_010215   20171109_010701
20171109_010739   20171109_010815
CUDA_Z   e_GPU_1060_GPUZ

AMZMA, Triple-T, 3RYL and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
markozutic
(@markozutic)
January 26, 2018 2:20 am  

could you do some test in benchmarks or game?

ReplyQuote
Triple-T
(@triple-t)
August 8, 2018 3:49 pm  

Hey there,
I really like your setup, its pretty awesome and impressive! I am actually looking to do almost the same exact thing. I recently purchased a HP Prodesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini/ Core i5 4590T @ 2.0GHZ with 8GB DDR3 RAM and I would like to use your setup to connect an external graphics card to my machine. Is there any way you could send me the links to, or let me know exactly what items are needed to complete this task. I tried to search for the items you had listed, but I couldn't find anything definitive. I would also like your take on these two items, what are your impressions, do you think they would work? I have been trying to find any information on this matter and you are the only person I could find anywhere that has even attempted, or talked about doing this with this Mini Desktop, so I just figured it would just be best to ask  someone who has already figured all of this out! I would also like your take on these two items, what are your impressions, do you think either would work? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-External-Independent-Graphics-AC866/dp/B074XFMFXZ/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533742348&sr=1-7&keywords=external+graphics+card&dpID=41GYMBXrewL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-External-Independent-Expresscard-AC773/dp/B0725B6L99/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533742348&sr=1-9&keywords=external+graphics+card

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 8, 2018 5:15 pm  

@triple-t. the HP Prodesk 600 G1 eGPU example given in this topic uses a M.2 A+E key adapter. There are three such adapters available:

@ciforia used a ADT R53 for his build.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Triple-T
(@triple-t)
August 9, 2018 12:33 pm  

Thanks for the info, i will probably give the EXP GDC BEAST a try first. I really appreciate all of the help. I will post my results here once i get a chance to set this up. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
ciforia
(@ciforia)
August 9, 2018 2:40 pm  

Hi @triple-t,
Thanks for reaching out. Glad to help you here.
I actually bought the adapter straight from ADT's website here http://www.adtrp.com/, and go to their webshop. It was cheaper ($25) and faster than using Aliexpress, but now that I've checked, they've actually increased the price to $ 48 for the 25 cm version, and that's before shipping cost of $ 35, too expensive I would say.

But so far, I'm satisfied with my build. My only concern being the short cable length. I bought the 30 cm version yet I think longer version would be better (am thinking 40 cm would be ideal).

As for performance, my benchmark is not that far compared to full-fledged 4 lanes PCIe setup and not noticeable in gaming (I do DOTA 2 @4k). This is because the nature of mini desktop setup that will exclusively use external monitor, so performance penalty is minimum. However, as your system is using 4th gen processor, which I believe has 1 lane of PCIe 2.0 instead of PCIe 3.0 lane, it's possible that you will notice some performance penalty as the bandwidth is effectively halved.

Finally, as you may have known in most of eGPU setup, you will also need a power supply to power up the GPU. In my case, the internal power supply of the mini desktop could only provide 15-25 watts of power to the GPU, and  so I bought an off brand PSU for 20 bucks.

For further reference, I think I saw someone's implementation of eGPU setup with other mini desktop system like Dell Optiplex.

Best,

ReplyQuote