2015 HP ProDesk Mini 600 G2 [6th,2C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R53SF ) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 HP ProDesk Mini 600 G2 [6th,2C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R53SF ) + Win10 [ciforia]  

of  2
  RSS

Jezzaw007
(@jezzaw007)

@ciforia

Hi, really interesting read, im looking to do similar.
I'm not sure I understand how or where your screenshots demonstrate that your getting 8gb throughput on PCIe 3.0 x1 ?
Given that the specifications on PCIe 3.0 are [email protected] and then halved, [email protected], [email protected], and only [email protected]
The GFX card your using has a max 8Gbps throughput, so your only ever going to achieve a maximum of 4gb on 1x slot?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@jezzaw007

He's using the R53SF adapter. The "3" means "PCIe x16". The "5" means "M.2 key A/E" which is PCIe x1. PCIe 3.0 x1 is 8 Gb/s.

You made a couple mistakes in your math. From [email protected], you halved the bandwidth but the link width is quartered. They should both be quartered to get [email protected] I think you mean gigabytes instead of gigabits, so they should be:
32GB/[email protected], 16GB/[email protected], 8GB/[email protected], 2GB/[email protected]
But those bandwidth speeds are for both directions. You need to half them to get single direction bandwidth (for read/write, or Device to Host and Host to Device speeds) like this:
16GB/[email protected], 8GB/[email protected], 4GB/[email protected], 1GB/[email protected]
Multiply them by 128 and divide by 130 to get the actual data rate. 8 Gb/s is  7.876923076923077 Gb/s because encoding on the wire is 128b/130b for PCIe 3.0.
For more info, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

So the maximum speed in either direction for PCIe 3.0 x1 is: 984.6 MB/s

The number shown by the benchmark is 784.073 MiB/s which is 822.16 MB/s. That is lower than 984.6 MB/s because of PCIe overhead. It's actually a really good portion of the max and you can't expect more than that from any similarly connected PCIe device.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Jezzaw007
(@jezzaw007)

@joevt

Many thanks for the quick response and brilliant explanation, makes total sense now.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
frank089
(@frank089)

@ciforia

Hello, this is sanjeev, new to egpu, i have hp prodesk 400, need to connect external gpu, please help me with what all i need to buy and where to buy and how to connect.. sorry for bad English

ReplyQuote
ciforia
(@ciforia)

@taika-kim, yeah I ended up cutting a small part of the chassis to make it work. 

2015 HP ProDesk Mini 600 G2 [6th,2C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R53SF ) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
houdini
(@houdini)

Hi everybody !!

@ciforia, I have the HP 800 G2 DM with the i5 6500T processor 6th generation an I'm trying to do the same.

I need only and "extra power" in graphics, not to play (well occasionally, but older games). I want to boost the streaming capabilities (dedicated only for streaming) of this mini pc, because when I tried streaming in 720p48 the CPU reaches the 40-45% od CPU. I want to achive 1080p60 with affordable quality.

So I want to use the GPU NVENC codec to perform this task instead the CPU. Probably I will use a 1050 2GB or 1050ti 4GB.

Do you think, based on your experience, it will be fine using the M.2 WIfi 1 lane pcie 3.0 or I will suffer some issues (bottleneck problems)? Did you finally test the ADT-link M.2-NVME?

The diference is the CPU has to pass the info to the GPU, the GPU will process the streaming, and finally, the GPU will pass the result to the GPU in order to put the streaming on the network.

Talking about the "physical" part of your build, I think you take the cable out the case using the ventilation grid on the back (cutting some part). Is that true?

atras1

Do you thing is possible to take the cable out removing the second displayport? (it's easy to remove)

atras2

Thanks in advance.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2