2017 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 [7th,2C,U] + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTi...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 [7th,2C,U] + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [Linok] // 4K-3D & TB3-CPU vs TB3-PCH  

of  3
  RSS

Linok
(@linok)

Computer: 2017 14″ Lenovo Thinkad X1 Carbon,  i7-7500U, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, Display-Resolution: 1920×1080

Enclosure: AKiTiO Node

Bandwith: 32Gbps-TB3

GPU: AMD Radeon RX570

Date: 17-04-29

^^ above specs have been provided upon getting my eGPU working. Original post problem is below:

Hello, i need some help plz, i dont know what else i can do 🙁

I got a  Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon from 2017. Cause the X1 has TB3 with x4 lanes of PCIe i brought a Akitio Node to get better graphics on playing games. I put a Nvidia GTX 960 from Gigabyte with 4Gb in the Enclosure.

But i cant play games with the node or do any benchmarks. I installed the latest Bios Update, TB3-Software, TB3-Firmware, updated the Firmware of the Akitio node and installed the latest Nvidia Driver (381.65).

The Akitio node as well as the GTX 960 are recognize from windows 10 (Creators Update). But when i want to start a game (Diablo 3, Anno 1701) or benchmark tool (FurMark) it crashes and jumps back to the desktop. 

When i want to connect an external monitor, i just see the mouse and a black screen. The external screen and the internal screen are briefly dark then again brighter. This changes constantly.

What else can i do? Thanks for the help!

2017 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 [7th,2C,U] + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Try using MSI afterburner to lower core/mem clocks & power target by 15% just in case your ASIC is clocked beyond it's capabilities.

Try another powerpoint to ensure a clean power stream without noise/spikes.

Would also be wortwhile testing another Thunderbolt cable in case your one is intermittently faulty.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)

Thanks for the quick respond, i will set the speeds and the power by 15%. I just got that one TB-Cable, but i already ordered a 1m active cable.

I'll post the results later.

2017 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 [7th,2C,U] + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)

Ok, the changes via MSI afterburner and another powerpoint didnt solve the problem. I will try another powerbrick, maybe the brick is faulty.

P.S. I tested the brick from my Desktop connected to the Akitio Node, but the error remains. I dont think the gtx 960 doesnt work properly, cause in my desktop it works fine.

I will test another tb3-cable. Hopefully only the cable is faulty.

Have you guys probably other ideas, why the eGPU wont work? 

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)

I installed now an older Nvidia driver (368.22) and the Benchmark Test "FurMark" suddenly works :). 

But when i want to play a game, it crashes again. But a bit later.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Get RX580, you will have better performance and proper driver support... Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)

On your advise i got a new RX570, thought my GTX 960 was probably too old. Now, when i want to switch to the RX570 i got BSOD - Error: dxgmms2.sys.  I think thats a problem with the DirectX 12. But i cant fix the problem. What should i do now? I installed the latest AMD driver (crimson 17.4.4).

Unbenannt

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Hi Linok,

- Uninstall NVIDIA drivers - just to be sure (you will need to connect your old 960 to uninstall it)

Do the OS scan as described here:   http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-command-utility-fix-system-files-windows-10

Are you using laptop's screen or external display? Please connect an external display directly to RX570, extend the displays, and set AMD-driven display as primary, and then try your games. 

- when exactly to you see the BSOD - steps to reproduce?

- can you please find MEMORY.DMP file on your C:\Windows, zip it and share with me privately via Google drive (PM me)

Carbon should be fine on both Win10 Anniversary Edition and Creator's Edition... not sure what is happening here

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Question: when you unplug eGPU, can you run any of these apps? (yes, they will be very slow, but still should run without BSOD)

2 more ideas:

- try to swap the power supply inside of Akitio - it may be factory defective or something

- tray to connect the Akitio to another laptop to see if the problem follows the box or the laptop

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)

thanks for the respond.

To your Questions: i just use the internal screen and yes, when i unplug the egpu i can run all the programs without any issue.The BSOD appears when the RX570 is used. For example when i want to open the amd settings, run a game or benchmark test and so on. I can reproduce this error easily.

Ill will try now your suggestions, if they dont work i will do a clean install of Windows 10, probably it works Smile

The Error also appears with another PSU. I dont have any other Laptop with Thunderbolt 3 so far Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  3