2017 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [Linok]^  

RSS

Linok
(@linok)
April 28, 2017 9:42 am  

Computer: 2017 14″ Lenovo Thinkad X1 Carbon,  i7-7500U, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, Display-Resolution: 1920×1080

Enclosure: AKiTiO Node

Bandwith: 32Gbps-TB3

GPU: AMD Radeon RX570

Date: 17-04-29

^^ above specs have been provided upon getting my eGPU working. Original post problem is below:

Hello, i need some help plz, i dont know what else i can do 🙁

I got a  Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon from 2017. Cause the X1 has TB3 with x4 lanes of PCIe i brought a Akitio Node to get better graphics on playing games. I put a Nvidia GTX 960 from Gigabyte with 4Gb in the Enclosure.

But i cant play games with the node or do any benchmarks. I installed the latest Bios Update, TB3-Software, TB3-Firmware, updated the Firmware of the Akitio node and installed the latest Nvidia Driver (381.65).

The Akitio node as well as the GTX 960 are recognize from windows 10 (Creators Update). But when i want to start a game (Diablo 3, Anno 1701) or benchmark tool (FurMark) it crashes and jumps back to the desktop. 

When i want to connect an external monitor, i just see the mouse and a black screen. The external screen and the internal screen are briefly dark then again brighter. This changes constantly.

What else can i do? Thanks for the help!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 28, 2017 10:12 am  

Try using MSI afterburner to lower core/mem clocks & power target by 15% just in case your ASIC is clocked beyond it's capabilities.

Try another powerpoint to ensure a clean power stream without noise/spikes.

Would also be wortwhile testing another Thunderbolt cable in case your one is intermittently faulty.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 28, 2017 10:31 am  

Thanks for the quick respond, i will set the speeds and the power by 15%. I just got that one TB-Cable, but i already ordered a 1m active cable.

I'll post the results later.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 28, 2017 10:55 am  

Ok, the changes via MSI afterburner and another powerpoint didnt solve the problem. I will try another powerbrick, maybe the brick is faulty.

P.S. I tested the brick from my Desktop connected to the Akitio Node, but the error remains. I dont think the gtx 960 doesnt work properly, cause in my desktop it works fine.

I will test another tb3-cable. Hopefully only the cable is faulty.

Have you guys probably other ideas, why the eGPU wont work? 

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 28, 2017 1:10 pm  

I installed now an older Nvidia driver (368.22) and the Benchmark Test "FurMark" suddenly works :). 

But when i want to play a game, it crashes again. But a bit later.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 28, 2017 2:41 pm  

Get RX580, you will have better performance and proper driver support... 🙂

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 29, 2017 10:28 am  

On your advise i got a new RX570, thought my GTX 960 was probably too old. Now, when i want to switch to the RX570 i got BSOD - Error: dxgmms2.sys.  I think thats a problem with the DirectX 12. But i cant fix the problem. What should i do now? I installed the latest AMD driver (crimson 17.4.4).

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 29, 2017 12:10 pm  

Hi Linok,

- Uninstall NVIDIA drivers - just to be sure (you will need to connect your old 960 to uninstall it)

Do the OS scan as described here:   http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-command-utility-fix-system-files-windows-10

Are you using laptop's screen or external display? Please connect an external display directly to RX570, extend the displays, and set AMD-driven display as primary, and then try your games. 

- when exactly to you see the BSOD - steps to reproduce?

- can you please find MEMORY.DMP file on your C:\Windows, zip it and share with me privately via Google drive (PM me)

Carbon should be fine on both Win10 Anniversary Edition and Creator's Edition... not sure what is happening here

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 29, 2017 12:28 pm  

Question: when you unplug eGPU, can you run any of these apps? (yes, they will be very slow, but still should run without BSOD)

2 more ideas:

- try to swap the power supply inside of Akitio - it may be factory defective or something

- tray to connect the Akitio to another laptop to see if the problem follows the box or the laptop

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 29, 2017 12:50 pm  

thanks for the respond.

To your Questions: i just use the internal screen and yes, when i unplug the egpu i can run all the programs without any issue.The BSOD appears when the RX570 is used. For example when i want to open the amd settings, run a game or benchmark test and so on. I can reproduce this error easily.

Ill will try now your suggestions, if they dont work i will do a clean install of Windows 10, probably it works 🙂

The Error also appears with another PSU. I dont have any other Laptop with Thunderbolt 3 so far 🙂

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 29, 2017 5:31 pm  

Hi Linok, I kept thinking about your case, and it just does not add up. I know from the fact that any version of Crimson works well on Carbon X1; and I know that Crimson 17.4.3 and 17.4.4 do work well with Carbon and RX570/RX580. So something else here is not right.

You might have a bad Akitio box. Can you please try to re-flash the firmware with https://www.akitio.com/firmware/node-firmware  ?

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 30, 2017 12:42 am  

Hello sky!

After a clean install of Win10, ... it works!!! and the RX570 is a beast for me 🙂 Thx a lot for your support and time. I think there was a conflict with some drivers. But in the end it works 🙂

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 30, 2017 2:17 am  

I am happy it worked out... so all you stability issue are resolved?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 30, 2017 2:19 am  
Posted by: Linok

Hello sky!

After a clean install of Win10, ... it works!!! and the RX570 is a beast for me 🙂 Thx a lot for your support and time. I think there was a conflict with some drivers. But in the end it works 🙂

@Linok, would you mind posting your Lenovo X1 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) eGPU implementation? We have no Lenovo TB3 Lenovo representation so far:  https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter=%22Lenovo%22#search

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 30, 2017 8:24 am  

@Sky: Yes, i got no more stability issues. I tested various games like Diablo 3, World of Warcraft - Legion, Anno 1701 and Guild Wars 2 without any issues. It works with the internal dislplay and with an external display. I can hot plug and play the enclosure, so everything is fine 🙂

@nando4: Of course i can! Here my specs:

Computer: 2017 14" Lenovo Thinkad X1 Carbon

If you some more Infos, tell me 🙂

ReplyQuote
Eugene
(@eugene)
April 30, 2017 2:45 pm  

Hi Linok,

Could you post some FPS info at different settings for your games like Diablo 3, etc?

Thanks =)

ReplyQuote
Linok
(@linok)
April 30, 2017 3:52 pm  

@Eugene: The specs of my X1 Carbon are: i7-7500U, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, Display-Resolution: 1920x1080. I'll submit some FPS Info's for Diablo 3 later on. 

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
April 30, 2017 5:17 pm  

... remember: for the maximum performance, connect an external display, extend your desktop and set the external display as Main (in Windows Display properties)

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 30, 2017 5:24 pm  

@Sky11, do you have a CUDA-Z equivalent standalone tool we can use to measure eGPU PCI bandwidth on AMD cards? AMD's PCIeSpeedTest no longer works with Win10. There is a BufferBandwidth utility included with  AMD APP SDK 3.0.  Can we get an AMD authorised re-distribution of just that component we can use for AMD eGPU bandwidth testing?

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
May 1, 2017 6:46 am  

Hmm... I will ask.

Meanwhile, I figure out how to use NV OpenCL Bandwidth test - just temporarily uninstall Intel Graphics Driver

ReplyQuote
VisViva
(@visviva)
Eminent Member
May 3, 2017 4:42 am  
Posted by: nando4

@Sky11, do you have a CUDA-Z equivalent standalone tool we can use to measure eGPU PCI bandwidth on AMD cards? AMD's PCIeSpeedTest no longer works with Win10. There is a BufferBandwidth utility included with  AMD APP SDK 3.0.  Can we get an AMD authorised re-distribution of just that component we can use for AMD eGPU bandwidth testing?

Since this is one of the samples in AMD APP SDK 3.0, i took a look at its source and it has this part about copyrights.

/**********************************************************************
Copyright ©2015 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

•	Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
•	Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
 other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
 DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS
 OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
 NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
********************************************************************/

I guess it's okay to redistribute then?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 3, 2017 7:09 am  
Posted by: VisViva

Since this is one of the samples in AMD APP SDK 3.0, i took a look at its source and it has this part about copyrights.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

•	Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
•	Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
 DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS
 OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
 NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Yes. Please upload the binary, source, copyright notices and (if like) with a README.txt file explaining how to use.  This will come in handy to confirm link speed on AMD equipped systems where CUDA-Z cannot be used.

ReplyQuote
VisViva
(@visviva)
Eminent Member
May 4, 2017 8:08 pm  

Yes. Please upload the binary, source, copyright notices and (if like) with a README.txt file explaining how to use.  This will come in handy to confirm link speed on AMD equipped systems where CUDA-Z cannot be used.

See here for zipped source and documentation. the copyright notice is in every source file. 

as for binary, it doesn't seem to "reproduce the above copyright notice", so i don't think it's ok to redistribute without adding it.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 4, 2017 8:16 pm  

See here for zipped source and documentation. the copyright notice is in every source file. 

as for binary, it doesn't seem to "reproduce the above copyright notice", so i don't think it's ok to redistribute without adding it.

Pls include the binary with the unmodified source code. Without it, the majority of users cannot use this tool. The source includes AMD's copyright messages.

ReplyQuote
wusel
(@wusel)
May 26, 2017 5:06 am  

@Eugene: The specs of my X1 Carbon are: i7-7500U, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, Display-Resolution: 1920x1080. I'll submit some FPS Info's for Diablo 3 later on. 

Do you have any results for us? 🙂

ReplyQuote
spacetato
(@spacetato)
June 14, 2017 5:40 pm  

Hey Linok,

I've got an X1 Carbon and I just ordered the Node to put my GTX1060 in. I was just wondering if you could post some FPSes or Benchmarks for the internal display vs. an external monitor.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 27, 2017 2:24 am  

@Sky11, do you have a CUDA-Z equivalent standalone tool we can use to measure eGPU PCI bandwidth on AMD cards? AMD's PCIeSpeedTest no longer works with Win10. There is a BufferBandwidth utility included with AMD APP SDK 3.0. Can we get an AMD authorised re-distribution of just that component we can use for AMD eGPU bandwidth testing?

Posted by: Sky11

Hmm... I will ask.

Meanwhile, I figure out how to use NV OpenCL Bandwidth test - just temporarily uninstall Intel Graphics Driver

@Sky11, any updates on a AMD releasing a binary to do bandwidth measure tests like CUDA-Z for AMD eGPUs?

ReplyQuote
bhushir
(@bhushir)
June 27, 2017 12:59 pm  

@Sky: Yes, i got no more stability issues. I tested various games like Diablo 3, World of Warcraft - Legion, Anno 1701 and Guild Wars 2 without any issues. It works with the internal dislplay and with an external display. I can hot plug and play the enclosure, so everything is fine 🙂

@nando4: Of course i can! Here my specs:

Computer: 2017 14" Lenovo Thinkad X1 Carbon

If you some more Infos, tell me 🙂

Thank you for this..! Thank God someone's been able to work on the 5th Gen X1 carbon. 

By profession I'm an Excel junkie so I love the X1, but I also wanted to game without having to buy a separate machine. 

However - in recent days the AMD RX570/580 are being sold at a HUGE premium thanks to the crypto currency miners

So what do you folks suggest considering current situation? go with Nvidia GTX 10xx? Or wait for the prices to come down on the AMD? 

PS - I dont live in the US, however will order my stuff from there. If anything goes wrong, I wont be able to return the product/OR ask for an exchange (logistic bottleneck)

ReplyQuote