2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + GTX1050Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.13.2&Win10 [Fuze911]  

Page 1 / 2 Next

fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
December 26, 2017 8:14 pm  

System specs

• Mid 2014 15" MacBook Pro (Nvidia GT750M + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB)
  • High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88)
  • 27-inch (2560 x 1440) Apple LED Cinema Display

eGPU hardware

Installation steps OSX

1. Grab the resources from https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/
  2. For OSX 10.13.2 (17C88) I needed "WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.102.pkg" & "NVDAEGPUSupport-v4.pkg"
  3. Install WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.102.pkg
  4. Reboot into Recovery mode by holding Command+R
  5. Disable SIP using "csrutil enable --without kext" in Terminal
  6. Reboot into OSX and install NVDAEGPUSupport-v4.pkg
  7. Reboot into OSX and plug in eGPU
  8. Reboot into OSX
  9. Profit

Updating OSX

Installing the 10.13.3 update sent the OS into a boot loop — getting stuck on black boot screen with apple logo and load bar at 100%. To solve this I followed these steps:

1. Boot into Recovery (Command + R)
  2. Reinstall the OS (This does not erase your files, just re-installs the OS and switches back to Apple drivers)
  3. Once booting back into the new version of Mac OS X, head to  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/
  4. Follow the steps in "Installation steps OSX" above with the files required for your new OS version.

Downgrading Nvidia Driver (if you experience Safari and Finder display issues):

1. Download the webdriver.sh file from here –  https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh  
  2. Execute the following lines while running terminal from the path of the webdriver.sh file:
sudo ./webdriver.sh -cu    https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg   
sudo ./webdriver.sh -m

Credit to devild

Installation steps Windows 10 (bootcamp)

1. Boot into Windows 10
  2. Download and install latest Nvidia drivers directly from the Nvidia site
  3. Plug in eGPU into power supply, external monitor, and into the MBP
  4. Reboot
  5. Winning

Black screen on reboot workaround

Keeping the eGPU plugged into the MBP upon boot results in a black screen and no boot chime in both Windows 10 (bootcamp) and Mac OS X. Having to manually shutdown the MBP and reboot with everything unplugged each time. It’s a minor hassle to use these 3 steps, but seems to work reliably which is a current win.

1. With MBP shutdown, plug your eGPU into power supply and an external monitor but keep it unplugged from the MBP.
  2. Boot to EFI holing the Alt/Option key
  3. Select your OS of choice, press enter and plug the eGPU into the MBP, quickly.
    • If Windows booted without the eGPU, reboot Windows with everything plugged in.
    • If Mac OSX booted without the eGPU, repeat steps 1-3.

Using the internal screen with eGPU

Both OSX and Windows required the use of an HDMI Monitor Emulator (Link above) to work without adding/modding an EFI or adding any complicated steps. On both platforms I just had to set the "fake monitor" as the main display. 

If any apps were to open on the fake display in Mac OSX follow these steps:

1. Right click on the app icon in the dock of the app that has opened on the fake monitor
  2. Select Option > Assign to > Display 2

Follow these steps for Windows 10:

1. Download "Dual Monitor Tools" ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortool/files/latest/download )
  2. Right click on the Dual Monitor Tools icon and go to Options > Swap Screens > Active Window
  3. Set a shortcut for "Move active window to next screen". I used Control + Option + Right

If an apps opens on the fake display, just use your shortcut you just created to move the app over to the internal screen.

To get games running from the eGPU in Windows 10 on internal screen

1. Using the HMDI Monitor Emulator, mirror both displays
  2. Download "Borderless Gaming" ( https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases/tag/9.4.9 )
  3. Open the game and set it to Windowed Mode and quit
  4. Open Display Properties and make the "fake monitor" your main display
  5. Open Borderless Gaming and move it to the internal screen via your Dual Monitor Tools shortcut
  6. Open the desired game (it will open up in a window on the fake display)
  7. Select the game in the Applications list of Borderless Gaming
  8. Right click > Make borderless on > Display 1

Games Tested

1. Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
  2. Doom
  3. Forza Horizon 3
  4. Diablo 3
  5. Shadow Warrior 2
  6. Cuphead
  7. Hand of Fate 2
  8. Project Cars 2
  9. Dirt 4
  10. Titanfall 2
  11. Grid Autosport
  12. Battlefield 1
  13. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  14. Monster Energy Supercross

All of the above setup at 1080p with "high" settings which yields between 30 & 60 frames.

Dual Fan Mod

Case Mod

Benchmarks (External Monitor)

High settings in 1080p on Apple 1440p Cinema Display. Results from left to right are 1. Mac OS X (OpenGL) > 2. Windows 10 (DX11)

Current issues

1. Issue with internal screen not waking up from sleep in both OSX and Windows. Only workaround so far is to manually shutdown the MBP and reboot.
  2. Inconsistent and unreliable way to get eGPU to boot with Windows. Usually takes 2-3 reboots to work. 

Solved:

1. Front facing LED (blue) on Akitio Thunder 2 stopped working 
    1. Akitio sent me a new LED and fan. The new LED is working great.
Edited: 3 months  ago

2014 15" MBP GT750M // EVGA GTX 1050 Ti // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.2 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod
2014 15" MBP GT750M // MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.3 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 2, 2018 7:17 pm  

Update:  Added an NB Black Silent fan to the mix. It's much quieter than the stock fan although 5mm wider—a small price to pay if you ask me. 

Here's what this $12 dollar mod looks like:

I used just the black and red wires from the new fan and soldered on the connector from the stock fan onto the NB. I also mounted it in reverse, pulling air out of the enclosure instead of in. I'm no cooling expert but have a hunch this will be better for airflow. 

I will do some temp testing and see if it had any effect on the temps inside the box with the GPU at load and report back with my findings. For now, I'm enjoying the quieter fan.

Edited: 5 months  ago

2014 15" MBP GT750M // EVGA GTX 1050 Ti // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.2 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod
2014 15" MBP GT750M // MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB // AKiTiO Thunder2 // macOS10.13.3 & Win10 // Dual Fan Mod // Case Mod

ReplyQuote
offero
(@offero)
January 2, 2018 9:42 pm  

Awesome. Do you have links to the products you purchased?

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
offero
(@offero)
January 2, 2018 11:21 pm  

Thanks! I have the same model Macbook and I look forward to trying this out. Thank you for posting what has worked for you.

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 3, 2018 5:54 am  
Posted by: Fuze911

I will do some temp testing and see if it had any effect on the temps inside the box with the GPU at load and report back with my findings. For now, I'm enjoying the quieter fan.

Here are the results of my tests in fahrenheit. All taken in the same cold basement, the case closed, running the same software for the same amount of time.

1. Stock fan - 48°
  2. NB fan mounted blowing in - 50°
  3. NB fan mounted blowing out - 52°

Looks like a few degrees is the cost for a quieter fan. I'm ok with that but assuming if I put the card in a warmer environment, the temp difference would be higher. So, I will have to monitor that and see what happens. Although I don't see this as a problem, maybe a Noctua fan would be a better investment? People seem to swear by them.

In the meantime, I will be switching the fan's direction back to blowing in as it seems to work ever so gently better. I also noticed that the front LED no longer works. So, I will also have to figure that out as well. Fun.

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 3, 2018 7:22 pm  

New day, new issue. Looks like when booted into OSX with the eGPU, the internal screen will not wake up from sleep. Anyone know a fix while I look for one?

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)
January 5, 2018 9:14 am  

Thanks for your info!

Really interested for your implemetation!

Is it possible to check if premiere pro and davinci are using egpu (cuda) in macOS?

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 6, 2018 6:56 pm  
Posted by: Georgios Lachanas

Thanks for your info!

Really interested for your implemetation!

Is it possible to check if premiere pro and davinci are using egpu (cuda) in macOS?

No problem! I do not own Davinci but Premiere Pro is working with the eGPU along with all other apps that use a GPU such as the Adobe Suite in OSX.

In other news, I'm going to be trying to get the internal screen to work with the eGPU in Windows 10. No luck so far but I'm learning.  

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)
January 6, 2018 8:32 pm  

Good news!!!

Does it work using either internal and external screen (macos) ?

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 8, 2018 3:25 pm  
Posted by: Georgios Lachanas

Good news!!!

Does it work using either internal and external screen (macos) ?

I can confirm it works in OSX on the internal screen. However, I was only able to get it working with a headless hdmi adapter (I will add a link above) and making the "fake display" the main one. You can get any apps that open on the "fake monitor" to your screen by right clicking the icon > option > assign to > display 2.

I know there are some easy how-to's floating around to get it working nice and smooth with out many steps, but I just wanted to quickly confirm that it works.

?1 

So yes, it works with both an external and the internal displays. 

Edited: 5 months  ago

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)
January 9, 2018 2:18 pm  

Really good news!

Thanks for your time!

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 9, 2018 5:26 pm  

Ok guys, since I can't leave anything alone...I did the dual fan mod! Here's how it came out: 

Noise level is still about 50% quieter than the stock single fan. 

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 10, 2018 4:32 pm  

Posted this in another thread but figured it could be useful here as well! Here is my eGPU EDC:

Im using the Case Logic 15.6-Inch Laptop Backpack ( http://amzn.to/2qLqFak)

Only thing not pictured is an HDMI cable I forgot inside one of the zip pockets. This is perfect for what I need!

I bring this bag with me to work, plug in my eGPU and laptop, and I'm all set at the office with my Apple Cinema Display I have on my desk. Then, I bring it all home and after the wife and kid are in bed I boot into Windows and I can get a game in on the same machine with just two extra cables; the eGPU power adapter and thunder2 cable. I can even use the HDMI cable to plug right into my tv, sit back on the couch with my xbox controller and play some Forza. 

If I had more funds I'd spring for a 1070 but I absolutely adore this setup with the 1050ti and the tiny Akitio thunder2. It really makes this "old" laptop extremely versatile! 

Zetthard liked
ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 12, 2018 4:52 am  

Anyone have issues with black lock screen in windows before? On boot, I can see the mouse and a black screen. If I type in my pass and hit enter I can get past it. Seems to have happened randomly today and I can't seem to find a fix. 

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member
January 13, 2018 7:49 pm  

Thanks for the reports. I had a thunder3 with the same MBP as yours. It worked until High Sierra, sold the thunder3.

Considering to get a thunder2. Do you think it will work with an AMD card? I'm all into FCPX, which benefits from AMD cards. I would love to get an eGPU again to get anything going again on this slow FCPX machine.

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 15, 2018 5:09 am  
Posted by: raybanner

Thanks for the reports. I had a thunder3 with the same MBP as yours. It worked until High Sierra, sold the thunder3.

Considering to get a thunder2. Do you think it will work with an AMD card? I'm all into FCPX, which benefits from AMD cards. I would love to get an eGPU again to get anything going again on this slow FCPX machine.

Honestly I have no experience with AMD cards. But there are plenty builds on here with thunder 2s and AMD cards working just fine so I think you'll be ok. 😉

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 16, 2018 3:47 am  
Posted by: fedor@dsrp.tv

Anyone have issues with black lock screen in windows before? On boot, I can see the mouse and a black screen. If I type in my pass and hit enter I can get past it. Seems to have happened randomly today and I can't seem to find a fix. 

Ok found what the issue is. This happens when you shutdown windows with your internal screen setup still in extended monitor mode with your hdmi "fake display" in. The lockscreen is black because it would be showing on the other display. That is why you can still get in when typing your pass. Just be sure to set your screens to mirrored before shutting down windows.  

ReplyQuote
(@chen_martin)
January 16, 2018 8:41 am  

Thank you for this useful guide.

I followed your steps with my 2016 15'' MacBook Pro +RP460+AORUS Gaming BOX 1070 in Mac OS 10.13.2.

Mac OS identify the Nvdia Web Driver ,my 1070 Successfully.   And I also bought the same HDMI Display Emulator.  

Then, I plug the HDMI Display Emulator into the AGB,and set the “fake monitor” as the main display, it still works fine.

OK, here are the problems:

1、right clicking the icon on dock---------there is no  “option > assign to > display 2.”?only three:keep in the dock/open it when login/open in finder

2、some apps  turn the screen black(GeekBench 4,Photoshop), but Office works fine.   After pressing Command+Q,it goes back to normal.(Sadly, I try to open these apps without  HDMI Display Emulator ,they still turn the screen black)

really need help

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 17, 2018 5:37 pm  
Posted by: Chen Martin

Thank you for this useful guide.

I followed your steps with my 2016 15'' MacBook Pro +RP460+AORUS Gaming BOX 1070 in Mac OS 10.13.2.

Mac OS identify the Nvdia Web Driver ,my 1070 Successfully.   And I also bought the same HDMI Display Emulator.  

Then, I plug the HDMI Display Emulator into the AGB,and set the “fake monitor” as the main display, it still works fine.

OK, here are the problems:

1、right clicking the icon on dock---------there is no  “option > assign to > display 2.”?only three:keep in the dock/open it when login/open in finder

2、some apps  turn the screen black(GeekBench 4,Photoshop), but Office works fine.   After pressing Command+Q,it goes back to normal.(Sadly, I try to open these apps without  HDMI Display Emulator ,they still turn the screen black)

really need help

Glad you got things running. Even with a different Mac and different enclosure. Nice. 

Hmm, here is what I'm getting when right clicking on items in the dock:

Screen Shot 2018 01 17 at 12.35.12 PM

Maybe this is a setting within Finder? Maybe try Control + Right Click and see if you get the "Options" menu. A quick Google search shows a few people with this option missing but I didn't see a fix. More research is needed I think.

I also have not had any issues with the screen turning black but at least you know that it is not the Display Emulator causing that issue. At least we can rule that out. I'm assuming you have rebooted the system?

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 17, 2018 5:42 pm  

So this morning I noticed there was a Mac OS X supplemental update:

Screen Shot 2018 01 17 at 12.38.02 PM

I figured I'd roll the dice and update. Big mistake. I was no longer able to boot. Mac OSX was stuck on the boot load screen. Even after clearing the rams I was still stick. Basically, I was forced to use recovery mode and had to restore from a backup. Luckily the new Samsung T5 SSD is super fast! 

After the restore, even though the drivers where still installed, I was forced to follow my steps above and reinstall both the NVDA drivers and the EGPU pkg. Now I'm back to normal. Guess updating isn't really an option a the moment if you want to seamlessly continue using the eGPU. 

Im going to assume, because that update does NOT change the version of the OS there is still a way to get things running, but I have not found it yet. I'm going to try again but with the stock Apple video drivers enabled before the install. 

ReplyQuote
internal
(@internal)
January 18, 2018 1:32 am  

there is a General problem with the NVDIAEGPU.kext procedure , when System Integrity Protection gets switched back on, which happens basically everytime you update or when you reset PRAM. I found

out after reinstalling the mac osx several times when always ending up at the stucked boot process. if that happens the easiest way is not to do a new install. it is just to start the macbook pro to target disk mode with pressing "t" at Startup and then connect to another Computer via thunderbolt or a firewire Adapter Access the harddrive and then to delete the NVIDIAEGPU.kext file that is in the System Folder"extensions". there s also a terminal command for that which you can use in recovery mode. 

my first build was based on a mac mini 2014 a node and an nvidia 1080ti. that was super easy to set up and it runs super stable. no boot tricks required in Windows 10. since i am trying to get this to work on a MBP 2014 with the 750m, a node and a 1080ti it's pure Frustration. although with an AMD Card that process is super easy too. I don't understand why the nvidia dgpu and egpu Setup is so difficult.

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 18, 2018 5:01 am  
Posted by: internal

there is a General problem with the NVDIAEGPU.kext procedure , when System Integrity Protection gets switched back on, which happens basically everytime you update or when you reset PRAM. I found

out after reinstalling the mac osx several times when always ending up at the stucked boot process. if that happens the easiest way is not to do a new install. it is just to start the macbook pro to target disk mode with pressing "t" at Startup and then connect to another Computer via thunderbolt or a firewire Adapter Access the harddrive and then to delete the NVIDIAEGPU.kext file that is in the System Folder"extensions". there s also a terminal command for that which you can use in recovery mode. 

my first build was based on a mac mini 2014 a node and an nvidia 1080ti. that was super easy to set up and it runs super stable. no boot tricks required in Windows 10. since i am trying to get this to work on a MBP 2014 with the 750m, a node and a 1080ti it's pure Frustration. although with an AMD Card that process is super easy too. I don't understand why the nvidia dgpu and egpu Setup is so difficult.

When I ran into this issue previously, I had no success deleting all NVIDIA files via terminal in recovery. So this time, I didn't even try it. Maybe, I should have. Thanks for the tip. 

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with the thoughts about Invidia and current support. Hoping that it's just a matter of time before eGPU support is basically plug and play. In the meantime, we'll have to tinker. :/

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 22, 2018 4:59 pm  

Hmm. Yet again, new issues in Mac OSX. Getting blank Finder, menus, and right clicks on the internal screen in Mac OSX. Both with an external monitor and with "fake" display plugged in. However, everything is perfect on the external display. Even if dragging a finder window from external display to the internal one. I guess I can always try to re-install the drivers again and see if that fixes it... :/ 

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 25, 2018 4:38 am  

Played a 2 hour session of Doom and noticed the temps got WAY hot (I the 85°C range) for my liking. I got inspired and here's what I ended up with:

IMG 2417

I'm still looking for a black screen/grill to add. In the mean time, the temps are staying super low in — around 45°C when gaming.

I also added a Kareon Cable, and a Dell DA-2 power supply in hopes prices on cards come down one day soon and I'll be ready for a larger card. Not pictured is a piece of carbon fibre film I added to the inside of the case to cover the dull gray interior. 😉 

I'll add more photos and info to the top of the page soon.

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
January 25, 2018 4:41 am  
Posted by: fedor@dsrp.tv

Hmm. Yet again, new issues in Mac OSX. Getting blank Finder, menus, and right clicks on the internal screen in Mac OSX. Both with an external monitor and with "fake" display plugged in. However, everything is perfect on the external display. Even if dragging a finder window from external display to the internal one. I guess I can always try to re-install the drivers again and see if that fixes it... :/ 

Installing 10.13.3 + updating the drivers and eGPU pkg did the trick. The OS update installed by itself on my machine, causing all kinds of surprise issues this morning. Pro tip, don't forget to turn off auto updates! 😉 

ReplyQuote
Vktr
 Vktr
(@vktr)
February 3, 2018 7:00 pm  

Hi all, I have a video card GTX1050 not working 2 hdmi outputs. The video card has 3 output hdmi, DVI, DP. When I insert the card in the PC, all outputs work. Tell me how to fix it

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
February 4, 2018 12:32 am  

Added updated info to the original post as well as the latest photos of my case mod and my ultra portable gaming setup!

Let me know if anyone has any questions. 🙂

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Honorable Member Moderator
February 5, 2018 7:14 pm  

It is your sale, so you're of course free to ask for whatever price you like, but selling a used card for more than a new one costs rubs me the wrong way.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
February 5, 2018 7:26 pm  

Thanks for looking out @Yukikaze

I based the price on how much they are selling for on eBay right now. Looks like they are going for $280-$300 new and this was used for less than two months. So $260 OBO including shipping sounded reasonable to me. If it sells, great. If it doesn't, I will surely lower it. 

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
February 5, 2018 9:51 pm  

Hi all, I have a video card GTX1050 not working 2 hdmi outputs. The video card has 3 output hdmi, DVI, DP. When I insert the card in the PC, all outputs work. Tell me how to fix it

Hmm. Which enclosure are you using and which OS are you running? 

ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member
February 8, 2018 6:37 pm  

It is your sale, so you’re of course free to ask for whatever price you like, but selling a used card for more than a new one costs rubs me the wrong way.

@Yukikaze, you'll be happy to know that I sold it to a local buyer at $175. 😉 

Grabbed a MSI GTX 1060 AERO 6GB to play with. Will be adding a link to the new setup soon. A custom 6pin plug was required, otherwise the fitment can't be any better. Everything else was plug and play. 🙂

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
fedor@dsrp.tv
(@fuze911)
Eminent Member

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
May 9, 2018 9:27 am  

This is one of the best implementations posts I've seen! Great to see so many nice set up pics... ~I have my hopes pinned on Nvidia's next gen cards being a bit more powerful and power efficient so the 1050ti replacement will drive 1440 at decent frames so I can just chuck a 1150ti or whatever it's called in a Node lite with no custom cabling...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next