Setup & Software Discussions
2017 Intel NUC7i5BNH [7th,2C,U] + RX [email protected] (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Win1...

2017 Intel NUC7i5BNH [7th,2C,U] + RX [email protected] (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Win10 1809 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The NUC7i5 is my main TV streaming box. It runs NordVPN so that I can watch live soccer matches from EU and Vietnam. It also runs Plex and HDHomeRun for local and other TV watching activities. Once in a while it's most comfortable to play PES on the TV rather than computer monitor. Pairing an eGPU to this NUC serves this purpose very well.

NUC + eGPU sits in the bottom drawer of the TV stand. After swapping the RX Vega Nano into the RX 580 Gaming Box, this RX 580 graphics card found a perfect home inside the Zotac AMP BOX mini. The large 130mm cooling fan and no PSU nearby allows this eGPU to run very cool and quiet. In fact the noise I heard most often is from a Raspberri Pi in this drawer. It runs Pi-Hole and UniFi Controller for my home network. I installed a PoE hat on the RPi so that it could run off the Ethernet cable but the tiny fan is loud when it runs.

System specs:

NUC7i5BNH - i5-7260U/Plus Graphics 640 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Zotac AMP BOX mini + RX 580 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Prior to installing the eGPU, I checked and upgraded the Thunderbolt firmware of this NUC. It came with NVM firmware 12. The newest one released in April 2018 is 33. Intel Thunderbolt Software is a requirement for this firmware upgrade. The Thunderbolt FW Update Tool also needs an active connection to a Thunderbolt device.

Other than TBT firmware update, it was plug-and-play with the RX 580 eGPU. From previous testings there's marginal performance difference between loopback vs external monitor so I left the TV connection to the NUC's HDMI port rather than the eGPU. This simplifies cable management because I don't always need eGPU acceleration.

Benchmarks:

The NUC systems have 4 PCI lanes for their Thunderbolt port. Here are the screen captures for AIDA64 and HWiNFO64.

Comments:

This NUC + eGPU is great for PC gaming on TV. Might not be cost effective vs console but for those who have more streaming needs, adding an eGPU to streaming PC is a good option.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
steve4332
(@steve4332)

Nice to see an other Zotac Mini setup! The RX 580 from the Gaming Box is indeed a perfect fit, AMAZING! I envy you. 🙂 I hacked a 14cm fan into my Zotac unit (onto a Sapphire 570 ITX card with fan and shroud removed) but that is definetly not a perfect fit although super quiet (the top cover bulges a bit if I try to force shut it on top of the 14cm fan - I will replace it with a lower profile one soon).

Apple Mac Mini 2018 + Zotac AMP Box Mini + Sapphire RX 570 ITX

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@naznaz)

Hi there can you please explain how you managed to install the fan

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote