2017 17" HP OMEN 17-AN012DX (RX580) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + Linux Ubuntu & Win10
- installed HP thunderbolt software
- installed the OMEN accelerator software
- installed RTX 2060 card in the OMEN accelerator box and powered up.
- Plugged a monitor into the unit ( recommended )
- Connected the TB3 cable and plugged in to laptop
installed thunderbolt software!
can't add pictures yet :-/
This was an interesting exercise as my laptop official spec has no mention of TB3 but the laptop does have the TB3 logo next to the USB-C port. I bit the bullet and bought the eGPU and it worked swimmingly.
I use my laptop a lot for gaming ( Project Cars, Raceroom Experience etc. ) and I am very happy with it in desktop mode but found the VR experience needed some improvement.
The RTX 2060 enables me to run these games in VR in epic mode, all settings cranked up at 1920x1080.
All went well until I tried to “upgrade” the Nvidia drivers. Although the system was running well and device manager said I had the latest drivers some games ( F1 2019 ) suggested I needed a newer version. This caused problems so I removed the “newer” drivers and clean installed drivers from device manager.