Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Question: Sonnet 2 slot egfx breakaway box 350w enclosing EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Question: Sonnet 2 slot egfx breakaway box 350w enclosing EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra  

RSS

(@ian_chen)

Hi I stupidly bought an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra without checking compatibility with my enclosure. Now I realized the 3 prong bracket won't fit into the enclosure. I am so desperate. Should I get a jigsaw or a nibbler and cut my enclosure to fit the gpu?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

No. return it and buy a card that fits, you'll regret hacking it up in the long run and if you have any issues your warranty will be voided.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Sonnet BB is very easy to mod without voiding warranty.
What I did was to remove the PCB from it and transferred it to a PC case. 

C011A4CF 0BFE 41BD AD54 E610A50A0457

You can do something simillar, or you can get some PCB riser screws and let the GPU sit bare with no enclosure. 

You can also remove the back bracket from the GPU without voiding warranty. 
The GPU will fit in the Sonnet BB then. You will just have to be careful plugging in the cables, and/or moving the eGPU.

J

This post was modified 9 months ago

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote