2015 Macbook Air + [email protected] (Rocketstor RS6361A) [ViralTypo]
- 2015 MacBook Air 13
- Rocketstor RS6361A TB2 enclosure
- XFX RX 460 4GB Single Slot Graphics Card
- UpBright 12v 10a Power Adapter
- Windows 10 Anniversary - Latest Updates (6/8/2017)
- AMD Crimson ReLive 17.1.1
Windows was installed via Bootcamp. AMD Driver 17.1.1 was auto-installed by Windows Update. eGPU was detected by Windows but I was receiving the infamous Error 12.
What I did to overcome Error 12:
- Open Device Manager
- Click View up top and select Devices by Connection
- Disable PCI Express Root Port #1 and #2 (Under Pci Bus)
- Click View again and go back to Devices by Type
- Disable and Re-Enable eGPU under Display Adapters
- Restart MacBook, Done
After restart, I instantly got this notification.
Switchable Graphics settings available?
Everything appears to be working fine and is 100% operational. PCI Express Root Port #1 has a function of zero and #2 is the FaceTime Camera. I tried just disabling one or the other but apparently both need to be disabled. I'm assuming this frees up enough lanes for the eGPU. Re-Enabling either of them brings error 12 right back.
I have not attempted to get it running in MacOS. I honestly don't really plan to being I will only be gaming in Windows.
Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts
Such a cool little set up! I may be wrong but even without High Sierra the 460 should be a pretty easy set up in macOS.
Any more pics of your set up?
Can’t help but think I was a pcie port away from getting my 580 working. You’ve made me want to try again, I’ve got W10 working with my 1070 on an external which I could experiment with without risking my solid boot camp set up.