2018 15" Razer Blade GTX1070 + [email protected] (Razer Core V2) + Win10 [Joikansai]  

RSS

Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
September 30, 2018 7:19 pm  

System specs 
15" Razer Blade 15 i7 8750H, UHD630 + GTX 1070 Max-Q, Windows 10 1803

eGPU hardware 
 Razer Core V2, rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo 

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps 
Core v2 is only supported by Synapse 2 and new Razer Blade 15 is Synapse 3, you need to install Synapse 2 for mainly only costumizing the rgb lightning. The software that’s needed in my opinion is Razer gpu switcher that is officially for older Blade, but it’s fine on new Blade and I was using it quite while with my old Gtx 1080ti setting. It’s more comfortable switching between dgpu (1070 maxq) in Blade and eGPU on enclosure.

Benchmarks  
External Monitor 3Dmark, 4K optimized superposition, extreme engine heaven and cuda z , shadow of Tomb Raider 4K highest 

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4543293
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16524987
FFXV

Comments 

I was skeptical because rtx 2080ti power consumption is almost similar with Vega 64 that is an issue with Core v2 that has only 500 Watt PSU. But it’s working fine in 2 days testing, benchmarking and gaming on it. Moving to Rtx 2080 from 1080ti, i didn’t notice performance bump in real gaming usage, but to 2080ti, it’s. Gaming in 4K on eGPU setting which is my reason getting this set is a step ahead now, heavy titles like Shadow of the tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Assassin Creed Origins don’t struggle anymore on high to ultra setting now, shadow of the tomb Raider even in game mostly on 55~FPS hitting max 60fps on highest setting. I’m happy with this upgrade.

Edit 1: Final Fantasy XV 4K high setting added.

dcfedscs, goalque, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Joikansai liked
ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
September 30, 2018 9:16 pm  

I don’t have gaming desk, only small gaming space. Living in Japan for a while made me more comfortable sitting on the floor while gaming, enough for me sitting on a desk 8 hours working days;)
Btw if I don’t have Core V2 i would go for Core x it’s easier for moding, PSU and Fans are quite easy to exchange with ordinary one and you can put up to 3 slots card and having bigger default PSU. No i/o ports is downside from Core x though.
Edit: File seems too large, I’ll resize it or search others and upload.

dcfedscs and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 1, 2018 1:03 am  

Very nice all Razer setup! How does the blower cooler work compared to the reference dual fan cooler of the RTX 2080?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

dcfedscs and Joikansai liked
ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 1, 2018 3:55 am  

Not all, stainless mouse pad is from gear best it just fits my setting needs 😉 . Max temperature was 81 btw, I think it’s normal and I saw similar temperatures on my old 1080ti Zotac mini. I didn’t notice 80ish on 2080, it was always 70ish when I’m not wrong. Maybe it’s because the ti  consumed more power, i saw in benchmarks, it’s almost similar with Vega 64 on several cases  like idle, gaming etc. Like other blower style cards it’s hot around back areas (I/o ports areas) where the hot air is thrown out, I think dual fans throwing it upside, not quite sure though, just always put my 2,5 hdd on the enclosure, and notice warm areas when unplugging it (it’s for my ultrabook that has small storage, with Blade 15 as the host I always plugged it off).
I had before MSI Aero and nvidia Pascal fe card which are also blower, it was also hot around that area. From the noise i think fe is better, can’t really measure it since Fans on core are also making louder  noises sometime, but it’s covered by gaming sounds, so it should be under 50dB similar with my old 1080ti setting.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 1, 2018 8:03 am  

How loud would you consider the egpu and the card?

My Setup

Joikansai liked
ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 1, 2018 8:23 am  

It’s around 47dB on max idle and 57dB on max full load,  I mute all sounds and measured it with my phone that I put directly on top enclosure. I believe it’s from enclosure PSU Fans that keep running on idle. On gaming usage it’s not annoying though since game sounds is already around 70dB on not max volume, but annoying enough if you needs quite environment like video editing or rendering works imo.

ReplyQuote
dcfedscs
(@dcfedscs)
October 11, 2018 5:03 am  

Nice setup! I wish this could work on my own devices.
Have you done extra steps to make it work? I have RTX2080 FE in a Core V2 plugged in Razer Blade 15 (win10 1803) , and it crashes with a Blue screen
which says "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" "ks.sys"
I've tried to connect with razer support, they just kept suggesting me to get a supported GTX series GPU, and I've been working on this for 5 hours
including updating Intel/razer/nvidia and windows softwares, and it still cannot be solved.
Thank you so much for the proof that this could work (actually it works pretty well), and I decide not to return it.
Much appreciated for any suggestion! (even more thanks than i can express, and i'm an international student who's still working on English)

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 11, 2018 3:26 pm  
Posted by: dcfedscs

Have you done extra steps to make it work? I have RTX2080 FE in a Core V2 plugged in Razer Blade 15 (win10 1803) , and it crashes with a Blue screen
I've tried to connect with razer support, they just kept suggesting me to get a supported GTX series GPU, and I've been working on this for 5 hours
including updating Intel/razer/nvidia and windows softwares, and it still cannot be solved.
Thank you so much for the proof that this could work (actually it works pretty well), and I decide not to return it.
Much appreciated for any suggestion! (even more thanks than i can express, and i'm an international student who's still working on English)

Try this like me, download same drivers that support rtx card (411.xx) and put on your Blade, make a clean install (I personally didn’t install nvidia experience, since it interrupts my gaming performance even only a little) on the Blade first, then plug the core TB3 and do the same thing again. Download also gpu switcher beta from Razer website (to switch the gpu before unplugging or plugging it). 
I’ve also rtx 2080fe, and had bluescreen error only two times in this 3 weeks from both cards forgot on which but I think 2080ti when I overclocking it too high and 2080fe after waking up the Blade from sleep and plug the 2080fe. I use also still 1803 since there’s still no advantage on any games for new direct rx. I like 2080 fe better in term build quality, power usage and thermal. I most probably sell the 2080ti due performance gains on eGPU setting that  isn’t huge enough on my games needs and there’s already someone who want it and could use that better in his water cooled desktop setting.

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 12, 2018 11:51 am  

which card would you say is louder? The asus oder the FE ?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 12, 2018 6:57 pm  
Posted by: vinhdiesel

which card would you say is louder? The asus oder the FE ?

Asus Turbo is definitely louder und :mrgreen: warmer. Though it’s comparison between turbo 2080ti asus turbo with blower fan and 2080fe with dual fans, I think 2080ti fe is also louder and maybe hotter due bigger power usage. I’m still in return window for Fe, and just got almost -100 discount from mediamarkt for evga xc that cost me only €800, €50 cheaper than fe, so that’s no brain option and evga fans I believe has auto fan stop that maybe could lower the the PSU Fans noise on Razer Core and their icx cooling I think better than fe one, let’s see it should actually delivered in 1 till 2 days, but it’s 3rd day still no shipping information 😉

ReplyQuote
dcfedscs
(@dcfedscs)
October 12, 2018 8:42 pm  
Posted by: Joikansai
Posted by: dcfedscs

Try this like me, download same drivers that support rtx card (411.xx) and put on your Blade, make a clean install (I personally didn’t install nvidia experience, since it interrupts my gaming performance even only a little) on the Blade first, then plug the core TB3 and do the same thing again. Download also gpu switcher beta from Razer website (to switch the gpu before unplugging or plugging it). 
I’ve also rtx 2080fe, and had bluescreen error only two times in this 3 weeks from both cards forgot on which but I think 2080ti when I overclocking it too high and 2080fe after waking up the Blade from sleep and plug the 2080fe. I use also still 1803 since there’s still no advantage on any games for new direct rx. I like 2080 fe better in term build quality, power usage and thermal. I most probably sell the 2080ti due performance gains on eGPU setting that  isn’t huge enough on my games needs and there’s already someone who want it and could use that better in his water cooled desktop setting.

Hey glad to see your reply so soon!
I think I found the key to the problem. I noticed the logo of the Internet changed to "unconnected" for a while before it turns to blue screen. And I've noticed that the Internet connection can be a problem. Then I split my portal wi-fi into 2G and 5G. Connect to 5G. Then it didn't go blue screen! While Razer synapse 3 didn't find Core V2 and I found it in Device manager. I downloaded Synapse 2 and found it can only change the light (not a bad thing). I updated the driver in "other devices" and it turns out to be RTX2080!(My predator monitor connected to it cannot be found though) I told myself there is only one step closer. I updated from Nvidia experience, then ~~it worked!!
Although it took me 7 hours to fix a problem which shouldn't be a problem, I felt so satisfied. And I'm so grateful to you that I've learned a lot from your previous posts and you replied so soon!
You are so kind. Very very much appreciated! Hope you always have a good time in everything!

Joikansai and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 13, 2018 3:05 pm  

Hey glad to see your reply so soon!
I think I found the key to the problem. I noticed the logo of the Internet changed to "unconnected" for a while before it turns to blue screen. And I've noticed that the Internet connection can be a problem. Then I split my portal wi-fi into 2G and 5G. Connect to 5G. Then it didn't go blue screen! While Razer synapse 3 didn't find Core V2 and I found it in Device manager. I downloaded Synapse 2 and found it can only change the light (not a bad thing). I updated the driver in "other devices" and it turns out to be RTX2080!(My predator monitor connected to it cannot be found though) I told myself there is only one step closer. I updated from Nvidia experience, then ~~it worked!!
Although it took me 7 hours to fix a problem which shouldn't be a problem, I felt so satisfied. And I'm so grateful to you that I've learned a lot from your previous posts and you replied so soon!
You are so kind. Very very much appreciated! Hope you always have a good time in everything!

Great to hear that! Yes since Core v2 is only supported by Synapse 2, Blade 15 users have to use Synapse 2 to access lightning setting only I believe. I think the important one to me personally only Razer gpu switcher to switching dgpu and egpu, using it without issue so far, detecting enclosure or gpu I can use Nvidia setting, Tb software or device manager, Synapse 2 to me felt useless since it’s only for rgb control. I wish it could control fans on the core somehow.
Yes I’m excited for my evga xc 2080 just delivered today, can’t wait to test it further tonight but from short gaming test shadow of the tomb Raider i think it has better FPS a bit than fe, I’ll check fe later, because the core clock stay always around 2010mhz, I think it should 1800mhz boost, and with 95% gpu usage, Fans seems also due to that I think louder,  maybe gaming mode on Synapse OC-ing the 2080 on 100 clock /300 memory on my assumption. The nice thing that under certain temperatures the fans stop like other evga cards, hope it’ll reduce noise on idle.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 18, 2018 8:16 am  

would the 2080ti FE even fit? I thought the PSU couldnt power it?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 18, 2018 10:15 am  

I was thinking the same about PSU but it was fine, maybe only you can’t overclocking as well as on bigger PSU. Asus Turbo is using same pcb with fe and has similar dimensions size, the difference  with 2080 I had was on 8+8 pins on ti vs 6+8 on non ti.

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 18, 2018 11:42 am  

do you notice the 2080ti fans ? How would you compare to current noise levels. My gpu is generally quieter than my Razer Core v2 itself. Does the same apply to your card?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 18, 2018 11:42 am  

do you notice the 2080ti fans ? How would you compare to current noise levels. My gpu is generally quieter than my Razer Core v2 itself. Does the same apply to your card?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 18, 2018 2:07 pm  
Posted by: vinhdiesel

Yes it’s true fans on PSU that are loud because bad sensor i believe, I’m using now xc from evga that has fans stop function I think on 40 degrees and on idle it’s significant difference still loud but not as loud as blower and fe cards that keep spinning I believe, though sometimes even on this evga xc it could be loud but not as often as the other cards.For example waking up from sleep it’s quite still noticeable but around 40db, but after long session gaming it keeps loud over 50dB and reduced to high 40ish dB but never came back to low 40ish like first boot, in my case I unplug it after such long gaming usage. 2080 ti Asus Turbo setting was louder  than fe setting evga xc is the quitest one.

ReplyQuote