2018 15" CLEVO P750TM1-G GTX1060 + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 [Carmonben]  

RSS

(@carmonben)
October 20, 2018 6:10 am  

System specs 

8700k, notebook 1060, 32gb ram, 2*1tb ssd raid, 2*2tb hdd raid 144hz 1080p screen
external 1070

eGPU hardware 
Razer core x, mantiz thunderbolt 3 cable

Installation steps 

After installing all native drivers for the base system,  I connected the 1070 and rebooted.
the 1060 (and by extension internal lcd) no longer functions, which is kind of annoying, but no other issues appeared (so far).

Benchmarks
it appears to be functioning at full x4 speed, but thats still a significant drop over my previous system

internal gpu :  https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4780525
external gpu: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4780631

Comments 
in all its a shame i loose the internal gpu and would like to use it as a second monitor, but otherwise its great. i just had to reinstall gpu drivers again.
in the future i can add an additional 32gb ram if i wanted
(also i would have prefered to keep my old, smaller, lighter system)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Robert Evans liked
ReplyQuote
Ziggity
(@ziggity)
October 20, 2018 7:03 am  

It's not often you run in to an eGPU system like yours, thank you for sharing. Would be interesting to see gaming benchmarks and get an idea of how many FPS can an eGPU setup push when it's not limited nearly as much by the CPU, compared to 15w/45w laptop CPUs.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
October 20, 2018 7:35 am  

Just name the games and settings, and ill post results (if i have the game)

ReplyQuote
Ziggity
(@ziggity)
October 20, 2018 2:26 pm  

Thanks, much appreciated. I think any modern triple AAA title (The new Assassins Creed games, Rise of the Tomb Raider and so on...) will do. How about 720p at high-ultra settings to see how many FPS the CPU can reach without the GPU bottlenecking the system?

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
October 20, 2018 5:50 pm  

I dont have any assasin's creed games, here are my results for rise of the tomb raider 720p very high, smaa, no motion blur

Internal gpu:

external gpu:
looks like this is bandwidth bound at 720p 🙁

Ziggity liked
ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 20, 2018 7:43 pm  

Yes it’s, on 720p it likes running 3Dmark 2001SE on rtx card :mrgreen: You’ll get I think better performance on 1440p over 1060 dgpu on this setting. Other things to note, don’t compare 1080p games with over 100fps result with eGPU, egpu doesn’t perform well in this area.

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
October 20, 2018 7:48 pm  

Well in CS go, min settings 1080p, I get higher fps on my 1070 400 vs 300 average,

Joikansai liked
ReplyQuote
Ziggity
(@ziggity)
October 21, 2018 5:00 am  

Even for an eGPU, these are pretty decent results! In higher resolutions the performance loss will barely be felt. Looking forward for the next gen of mobile CPUs to hit the market.

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
October 21, 2018 5:11 am  

Well this technically is mobile...

ReplyQuote
Ziggity
(@ziggity)
October 21, 2018 5:41 am  

Yes but I'm pretty sure you your laptop doesn't qualify as a thin and light 😛

ReplyQuote
(@andrea_munegato)
October 25, 2018 10:52 am  

Hi, I was searching for something like this, I'm interested in buying a Core X and add a rtx2070 in it, BUT i need my laptop internal gtx1060 to keep working since i'm doing 3d rendering and i wanto to assign render tasks to different gpu's. I have a alienware 13r3 with 6700hq and I'm asking this since i had to return the Alienware graphic amplifier because it disabled the internal discrete gpu when connected.

Thank you very much!

Andrea

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
October 25, 2018 5:15 pm  

It was my understanding that Dell blocked thunderbolt egpus on their aga enabled laptops, so check build guides with your laptop to see if thunderbolt does work.

ReplyQuote
(@andrea_munegato)
October 26, 2018 8:47 am  

I checked all over the internet but still can't find the answer.
On LinusTechTips youtube channel they manage to connect the razer core to the Alienware 13R3 and have it working but they don't say if the internal gpu is disabled or not. What can I do?

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
October 26, 2018 8:57 pm  

https://egpu.io/forums/laptop-computing/external-gpu-is-it-worth-it/

theres one build on this site...

ask in that thread, its possible theitsage might still have his and can check for you.

the other thing is most of the non gsync enabled laptops dont have the display connected to a gpu, so you could probably activate the gpu by plugging a display into the minidisplayport or hdmi.

worst case scenario, you can return it...

ReplyQuote