Setup & Software Discussions
2013 15" Lenovo Thinkpad W540 (Q K1100M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX [email protected] (AKiTiO ...

2013 15" Lenovo Thinkpad W540 (Q K1100M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 & Linux [TuxThePenguin0]  

RSS

TuxThePenguin0
(@tuxthepenguin0)

System specs

Lenovo Thinkpad W540 - i7 4700MQ, Intel HD Graphics 4600, NVIDIA Quadro K1100m, 16GB dual channel DDR3
Running Windows 10 1809 and Ubuntu 19.04

eGPU hardware

Same as my last setup 😛
Akitio Thunder2 that has had the end of the internal frame cut off and is being powered by a 500W ATX power supply
It has an MSI Armor RX 570 connected to it

Hardware pictures

None yet, I will send some soon once I'm bothered

Installation steps

On Linux it was as simple as adding a configuration file to run X11 on the eGPU

On Windows the biggest problem was battling the automatic driver installation, as it normally installs the NVIDIA drivers first, which in my experience, reliably breaks installations after installing the AMD drivers.
The first thing to do is boot into safe mode and uninstall all the graphics drivers completely using DDU, then, if possible while still in safe mode, install the AMD drivers, then Intel, then NVIDIA.
To get the eGPU recognized in Windows it must be hot-plugged, however doing this results in instability due to a conflict with the NVIDIA dGPU, the easiest workaround I have found is quickly plugging the Thunderbolt cable in as soon as the Windows logo appears

Benchmarks

3DMark Timespy: 3330 (GPU: 3383, CPU: 3062)

3DMark Firestrike: 8773 (GPU: 10900, Physics: 8615)

Comments
Currently I am having an issue where lots of power state changes often cause the GPU to crash which requires a hard reboot in Linux and in Windows either forces me to unplug the GPU (closing any 3D apps running on it) or causing a BSOD, a workaround I have found for this is to lock the GPU to the highest power state but this is not an ideal fix, in future I will get a better power supply which should hopefully solve the problem. This is usually not a problem when running games since they always keep the GPU at the highest power state anyway.
The eGPU works great for everything I use it for, this includes VR (I have a Windows Mixed Reality headset and have been using it with SteamVR with no problems) and 2D games as well as other applications on both the internal monitor and external monitors (when the weird issue isn't happening)

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Lenovo Thinkpad W540 (i7 4700mq, 16GB RAM, Quadro K1100m, 500GB SSD, 2TB SSHD)
AMD RX 570 eGPU

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@ayden)

Hey just wondering if you've tried using the external gpu with the official thinkpad docks. E.g will the gpu drive video through the dock thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TuxThePenguin0
(@tuxthepenguin0)

I don't think the PCIe docks support the W540, even if they did I don't own one and I bought the Thunderbolt enclosure before I even planned to buy this laptop (I upgraded from a 2011 Macbook) so I can't do any testing

Lenovo Thinkpad W540 (i7 4700mq, 16GB RAM, Quadro K1100m, 500GB SSD, 2TB SSHD)
AMD RX 570 eGPU

ReplyQuote
(@ayden)

😂i kinda forgot about this but thanks for replying. What i meant was the dock doesnt have thunderbolt but was wondering if i plugged in the egpu through the laptops thunderbolt port would the video still display through the docks dvi.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote