2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (A...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [Filipe Silva]  

of  2
  RSS

inv4derMX
(@inv4dermx)

It's not necessary, I use it with my X1 Carbon with the device monitor.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

yohojones liked
ReplyQuote
Zimmeiro
(@zimmeiro)

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga X1 3gen and a Aorus Gaming box 1070 and I cannot make it work. It doesn't get auto-detected, and there is nothing that I can do. Do you have any idea of how to sor this out?

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Filipe Silva
(@filipe_silva)

I couldn't get it detected until I used the exact drivers on the Aorus website. Maybe that's also what you're seeing. After using those initially for the detection, I just updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest ones.

2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
prasys
(@prasys)

Posted by: Zimmeiro

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga X1 3gen and a Aorus Gaming box 1070 and I cannot make it work. It doesn't get auto-detected, and there is nothing that I can do. Do you have any idea of how to sor this out?

Thanks

I've had similiar issue , I had to disable TB3 security in BIOS. Reboot , replug the cable twice. It detected and installed the drivers (in my case I had to uninstall nvidia drivers as I have an onboard dGPU). In your case - you wouldn't need to do it.

Getting TB3 enclosure to work with Thinkpad is a bit wonky , but once you get the settings right - it would work Smile

Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 1) - 8750H | 16 GB RAM | 1050 Ti (Onboard) | GAMING BOX RTX2070 eGPU

2018 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (GTX1050Ti) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Noivilbo
(@noivilbo)

Hi Filipe, 

Thanks for sharing your setup!

I'm leaning towards a similar config myself now: X1 Carbon G7 + GTX 980 + 144hz HD monitor.
I play a lot of overwatch, and I'm new to the egpu setups. So if you could help me out with some advice on a few quick questions?

1) Can I push 144 FPS in 1920x1080 to the external monitor via a thunderbolt to displayport cable? (would expect so, but since the standard screen is 60hz only.?)
2) I get 180 FPS in overwatch on Low 1920x1080 with my GTX980. So if I use this card as EGPU I should at least get to 144 FPS then, right? (20% performance loss)
3) Do you notice any input lag with your setup? (compared to a standard desktop setup?)

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Filipe Silva
(@filipe_silva)

Heya Noivilbo,

I don't have a 144hz monitor so it's hard for me to answer some of these questions. I only aim for 60FPS on the games I play (Destiny 2, and Overwatch). I play them with maximum settings on a 3440x1440 external monitor. So I guess you should be able to get way more FPS on a 1920x1080. I don't notice input lag, no. But maybe it's there and I just don't notice.

2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Noivilbo
(@noivilbo)

Well, 3440x1440 @ 60 hz should be more than 1920x1080 @ 144 hz, so I guess indeed that should work Smile
I've googled some more and I don't think input lag is an issue neither.

Alright, then I'll go for the Egpu setup. Cool stuff!

Thx

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: Noivilbo

I'm leaning towards a similar config myself now: X1 Carbon G7 + GTX 980 + 144hz HD monitor.
I play a lot of overwatch, and I'm new to the egpu setups. So if you could help me out with some advice on a few quick questions?

1) Can I push 144 FPS in 1920x1080 to the external monitor via a thunderbolt to displayport cable? (would expect so, but since the standard screen is 60hz only.?)

Yes (see DisplayPort 1.2 notes below), but if you have an eGPU then the external display should be connected to the GPU of the eGPU.

Well, 3440x1440 @ 60 hz should be more than 1920x1080 @ 144 hz, so I guess indeed that should work Smile

If you multiply the numbers, 3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz is less than 1920 x 1080 @ 144 Hz. If you create a video timing using CVT-RB, then the first has a pixel clock of 320 MHz and the second has a pixel clock of 347 MHz. Those pixel clocks are well under the max allowed by DisplayPort 1.2. Remember that DisplayPort 1.2 supports 4K @ 60 Hz which has a pixel clock of 533 MHz and even supports 10 bpc color.

Most new AMD and Nvidia graphics cards (Pascal and later) support DisplayPort 1.4 which has 50% more bandwidth than DisplayPort 1.2. To get DisplayPort 1.4 from a Thunderbolt port, the Thunderbolt controller with the DisplayPort inputs must be at least Titan Ridge and a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter must be connected to a Thunderbolt port of that controller, or another Titan Ridge controller later in the Thunderbolt chain (maybe a newer Thunderbolt 3 dock or a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort 1.4 adapter).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Noivilbo
(@noivilbo)

Alright clear - so I shouldn't have any issues. Thanks!

I was looking into pricing as well, and I'm actually considering a T490 or T490s instead. 
It has only 2 thunderbolt lanes, but I would use an external monitor, so my setup should still be valid I assume? 

Kr

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

I was looking into pricing as well, and I'm actually considering a T490 or T490s instead. 
It has only 2 thunderbolt lanes, but I would use an external monitor, so my setup should still be valid I assume? 

It should still be faster than Thunderbolt 2 at least.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  2