2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (...

Notifications
Clear all
  RSS

rafalowski
(@rafalowski)

First I must say thank you all for posting and sharing your builds. It helped a lot!!!

I choose to upgrade my 7 year old sun laptop for gamming, and I needed to stay in a tight budget... So I choose to go with the ADT-link R43SG m.2 + the JEYI Leidian M.2-TB3 because its was cheaper then buying the ADT-Link R43SG-TB3

Then I bought a second hand GTX 1050 ti (100$) and I asked a friend for the power supply.

System specs:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Gen6 carbon i7 8th Gen + Windows 10

eGPU hardware: 

Hardware pictures: 

require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. So no photons for now

Installation steps:

This process was really easy, after reading other posts I was afraid for the errors and manipulation that I might need to do, but surprisingly it all was plug and play.

I connected the ADT-link with the JEYI TB3, only 2 screws can be screw after inserting the ADT-link m2 part, but luckily the JEYI comes with a rubber band to hold everything together.

After that I inserted the graphic card to the PCI slot.

The power supply was a little bit tricky because the 24 pin connector in the new power supplies is split (almost seems broken) and also is missing one pin connection, so I thought it was malfunction, but after a little reading I understood the new gen of power supplies also support 20 pin connection so because of this the 24 pin is split, and the missing pin is an old 5v connection that is not in use anymore so everything is OK.

Another thing is that is you need to connect also an addition 4pin connection from the power supply to the ADT-Link board, it is marked as "CPU 4pin input".

And finally the 6 pin connection from the power supply to the 1050 ti card and the HDMI cable to my screen.

Happy with my build a turned on the power supply and... nothing happed. After some consulting I realized that the ADT-link needs to be connected to the TB3 to start the all thing going on. And Its true as soon as i connected the TB3 cable that comes with the JEYI to my laptop... BOOM!!! green lights and spinning fans!! Party  

Now the second part is the NVIDIA drivers...
You need to download them and ONLY install them when you are with the interned connection turned off!!! (wired but true).

No worries as soon as you finish to install them you can turn on the internet connection.

And voula! my screen came to life and the all build was working perfectly...

Benchmarks: 

I am not a build guy so I didn't do benchmarks, the only thing I can say I run fortnite with in 1080p and medium graphic settings and my son is very happy with 100+fps.

The next plan is to build a chassis for all of this build... 

Again thank you all for your posts, it helped a lot.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon + Adt-Link + GTX 1050 ti - [build]

2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 and mr.ribeiro liked
ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

Thanks for your build.

2016 15" ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501VW (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SL * M.2-TB3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote