2017 14" Lenovo X1 Yoga 2nd Gen(2017) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 [Yingxiang Yao]  

RSS

(@yingxiang_yao)
May 5, 2018 8:37 am  

Recently I've purchased this enclosure for my GTX 1050ti and have configured it to work quite well.
System Specs.:
- Intel Core i7 7500U
- 16GB LPDDR3 RAM
- 512GB Toshiba NVME SSD
- 2x TB3 ports with 4 lanes each
- WQHD (2K) internal display
- 2x 1080P external displays

I got the enclosure for 280 Euro for an German online shop, which is a kind of bargain for me, since most of the online shops in Germany don't have this in stock or they charge me for more than 300 Euro. So I ordered it almst immediately when I saw that. Interestingly enough, the enclosure was 300 Euro two days after my purchase on the same website.

My box came with the enclosure itself, a quite short TB cable. I purchased an addtional 120W power supply with 5.5mm*2.5mm barrel so that the GPU gets enough juice to work.
The assembly is quite simple. Just undo all the thumbscrews you can see and plug the card in and you are good to go.

It's worthy noticing that you only have 180mm space if you don't remove the fan. Unfortunately my card is just 182mm long and I have to cut out few mm to fit it in. Besides this, there are two metal clips that should slide in the "rail" when you put everything back. Pay attention on it, sometimes it can stuck and you just have to make sure that everything is fit in glove.

After plugging the eGPU to my laptop, my laptop didn't recognise the enclosure. Then I went to the BIOS setup and set the TB security level to "user authorisation", so the TB software will ask you if you want to connect to the enclosure. The second problem was the error 43 after installing driver successfully. The problem is solved after I upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

In terms of performance, this enclosure is great. I can achieve around 60 fps on external 1080P display when playing some online games such as World of Warships and War Thunder with high or ultra settings(War Thunder). Recording with OBS is also butter-smooth. With NVENC encoder enabled and 1080P output (Bitrate 3500Kbits) at 48 Hz, the recording with the game will occupy 80% of CPU and 75% of GPU resources. With the internal display, I lost around 5-10 FPS when playing games, but it is completely OK since I purchased this enclosure for portability.

Since the internal HD 620 is not used, the heat output of CPU (or laptop) in general is reduced significantly. When playing games, the CPU temperature never exceeds 75°C which is quite impressive. The graphics card will get hot at around 72°C after playing few hours of games. I also tried to remove the fan because the fan noise is really anoying, but the temperature will get up to high 80s so I decided to reinstall the fan after the test.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 5, 2018 2:39 pm  

Thank you for you build. Please include pictures & bandwidth benchmark results to bring your build to life as per the build template.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote