Setup & Software Discussions
2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [8th,4C,A] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + ...

2018 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G [8th,4C,A] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This build is a follow-up to my previous Thunderbolt 3 on AMD Threadripper 1950x build. I put together a Ryzen 5 2400G system using the Inwin Chopin ITX case. The miniature profile (3.3 liters) added more challenges to mounting the Gigabyte GC-Titan-Ridge AIC but it was a lot of fun. The great news is Thunderbolt 3 is seemingly ready for AMD systems. The ball is in Intel’s court.

System specs:

Chopin Ryzen 5 2400G/RX Vega 11 iGPU/8GB RAM/250GB SSD/GC-Titan-Ridge AIC

eGPU hardware:

AORUS Gaming Box + Nvidia GTX 1080 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Same with the Threadripper system, there was no hacking or modding BIOS settings. I learned from @karatekid430 jumping pin 3 and 5 can keep the GC-Titan-Ridge AIC awake at boot. This way the system can hot-detect Thunderbolt devices in Windows. It’s not fully functional as hot-plug though. I need to warm boot for the eGPU to start working. The crucial piece of software is Intel Thunderbolt Software. I installed version [17.4.77.400] from Gigabyte support website.

The most time consuming task was to mount the AIC. There’s absolutely no room for any PCI cards in the front of the InWin Chopin case. I used a PCI extender. I cut open the metal divider then routed this extender through the rear. The components are held in place with electrical tape. The side panel once installed provides additional reinforcement to keep the AIC in place.

Intel Thunderbolt Software showed this Ryzen 5 2400G system has support for External GPUs. I manually installed the latest Nvidia Drivers and the AORUS 1080 Gaming Box started working right away.

Benchmarks:

There are stability issues atm. I was not able to run any benchmarks except for AIDA64. I’m guessing there’s a kink or loose connection in the current arrangement. An x4 PCI extender would be better in this case.

Comments:

I hope Intel will certify Thunderbolt 3 on AMD systems soon. The GC-Titan-Ridge AIC has proven the hardware and software pieces are in place. The more Thunderbolt 3 computers and devices come to market, the less costly this technology becomes.

This topic was modified 1 year ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ICULikeMac, DamianS555, Yukikaze and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I checked over the PCI extender and AIC connection last night. All was good. The culprit was driver incompatibility. This Ryzen 5 2400G system could run without a hitch when paired with RX 580 Gaming Box.

The RX Vega 11 behaved more like a discrete graphics card than an integrated one. In order to emulate eGPU internal display mode, I had to open Graphics Setting in Win10 1803 and set each application to use to the High Performance GPU. The monitor was connected through the ASRock motherboard’s HDMI port. I was curious so I tested the reverse situation where the monitor connected to the RX 580 eGPU’s HDMI port but the application was set to use RX Vega 11. The system actually used the RX Vega 11 in this iGPU external monitor mode. Here are Unigine benchmarks.

RX Vega 11 iGPU RX 580 eGPU Internal RX 580 eGPU External
This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

This is brilliant stuff. Looks like Titan Ridge really is a plug-and-play TB3-anywhere solution.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Yukikaze

This is brilliant stuff. Looks like Titan Ridge really is a plug-and-play TB3-anywhere solution.

Agree it's exciting work by itsage ! But what do you mean by this being a plug and play TB3 anywhere solution? I can't throw it in my z170x setup, right? I though this post was suggesting a Titan Ridge AIC and specific titan ridge AIC compatible motherboard might work in the future with AMD processors. Intel could officially add support because components are recognized.

This post was modified 1 year ago

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Awesome post, thank you!

2019 13" MacBook Pro (i7 & 16GB RAM) - MacOS + Win10
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

I only just saw this completed build. I am glad I could have helped with the jumper.

Yikes, that is one crazy solution to fit the add-in card.

Can both the Thunderbolt 3 ports be accessed? Or is only one drilled through?

This is pretty cool, especially that it is AMD. What I wanted to see from Intel NUCs was for them to be able to be powered from Thunderbolt ports, in which case we could discard the power pack and power them at 100W from the Aorus eGPU. In theory you could find a way to fit the NUC motherboard inside of the eGPU. If you use R9 Nano, there is space above and behind the GPU. Not quite enough, but you could mod the Aorus case to allow the motherboard to protrude a little. That would make the Aorus eGPU its own computer with USB ports and the Thunderbolt cable at the back. Then the NUC inside could be powered down and the Thunderbolt cable attached to a laptop. Which would make it very versatile.

I am hoping that eventually the makers of eGPUs will start to make the mounting holes compatible with ATX cases, so that modders can take the PCB out of them and place it in any standard PC case.

On a tangent:

I hope that one day Thunderbolt can allow a laptop to borrow the GPU of a desktop (access in the same way that a virtual machine would access graphics). I believe that theoretically, Thunderbolt can do that - but it will require firmware changes and improvements to make sure all consumer / mainstream platforms have their IOMMU and SR-IOV (or potentially even MR-IOV) working.

I am different to other people in that I will take absolutely any opportunity to use the same hardware I own in other ways. Many people will say "gimmick" or "nobody really wants that" but if everything is there to enable something, and it is not enabled, it frustrates me. I believe that PCIe and DisplayPort should be fused - the benefit is that every computer can then be a high performance capture device without any additional hardware, and that any laptop will be able to be used as a portable monitor. There are dozens of cool things that would benefit people, that nobody has really contemplated. People might say it is a gimmick. But if you actually deliver it, they might start to try it and go "well actually, this is useful".

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

Oh, just a head's up - when going from 2015 controllers to non-2015 controllers, passive Thunderbolt cables result in a performance hit. The Aorus Gaming Box uses the 2015 DSL6540 Thunderbolt controller. I would do a bandwidth test. For Nvidia, CUDA-Z. For AMD, BufferBandwidth.exe which comes pre-compiled in the AMD APP SDK 3.0.

I could only ever get 1800MB/s to my eGPU, and assumed I had a PCH bottleneck. But it turns out that the instant I got my 2M Active cable, it hits 2750MB/s every time.

The same has been observed by me with HP Z-docks and the Sonnet 550 eGPU, which also use the 2015 DSL6540 controller.

Two 2015 devices can use the passive cable in between them without any performance hit.

I have tried many cables - one 30cm and about three 50cm. It is not caused by a faulty cable - they are all passive, and are all affected.

I do not know if you can get active 50cm cables - but I do know that 1M ones exist.

Please let me know the result. Cheers!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@karatekid430

I tried a caldigit cable
( https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N4MFG7J/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
with my mbp 13 2918 and the gaming box rx580 and it just doesn't work. The connection goes on stays on for 2 min and goes off. Then i wait for 20 sec and it goes on again. After 2-3 time i disconnect it. I tried all ports with and without the power adapter, but with no luck. 
What is the apple 0.8m cable active or passive. It came out in Dec 2017

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

@itsage @karatekid430
Is this finally working as CPU or PCH? It is having the whole bandwidth?
So, just for my understanding, this titan ridge card works on ANY motherboard?? No need for the typical TB3 header connector in the motherboard to the card?? (What is the meaning of the header, then??).
I was thinking to try it out with an Asrock H370M-ITX/ac motherboard.

Thanks.

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ed_co It’s a CPU connection in this build. It’s the same on my X399 Threadripper build. From the reports of people attempted adding this Titan Ridge AIC on non-supported systems, they are actually working more predictable than supposedly supported Intel systems. A few people even got the card to work in the old Mac Pro tower.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: ed_co

@itsage @karatekid430
Is this finally working as CPU or PCH? It is having the whole bandwidth?
So, just for my understanding, this titan ridge card works on ANY motherboard?? No need for the typical TB3 header connector in the motherboard to the card?? (What is the meaning of the header, then??).
I was thinking to try it out with an Asrock H370M-ITX/ac motherboard.

It can work as CPU or PCH depending on the motherboard.
It has the whole bandwidth if the slot supports PCIe 3.0 x4.
It can work without the TB3 header. The TB3 header is for force-power, hot-plug, and sleep state. Force power is not required if the drivers can detect when a device is connected and can properly enumerate and enable the usb controller of the thunderbolt controller. Hot-plug and sleep might work without the header if the firmware and drivers allow it. In my old 2008 Mac Pro where there is no thunderbolt firmware, Windows can detect when Thunderbolt devices are connected but can't enumerate them and allocate resources for them if resources weren't previously reserved. In that case a restart with the Thunderbolt devices connected is required to actually use the Thunderbolt devices.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ed_co and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Thanks both for the reply.
@joevt it is a 16x slot, I guess it would support it at x4? How can I know for sure?
How can I know if would be CPU or PCH?
Is there something in the manual that I could take a look to know? Have you seen my motherboard? 
Thanks

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@joevt it is a 16x slot, I guess it would support it at x4? How can I know for sure?
How can I know if would be CPU or PCH?
Is there something in the manual that I could take a look to know? Have you seen my motherboard? 

Yes, an x4 card in an x16 slot would have an x4 link. An x16 card in an x4 slot also would have an x4 link.

ITX motherboards usually only have one PCIe slot which is usually used with a graphics card and is connected to CPU. An M.2 slot is usually connected to PCH.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

So it could be a safe bet if i get the card in order to work with my board? Will it be OOTB?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ed_co You will have to try it out. All of us came in expecting the worst because our systems are non-certified Thunderbolt 3 configurations. It won’t be OOTB-easy but the likelihood it will work is high.

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

So it could be a safe bet if i get the card in order to work with my board? Will it be OOTB?

The only slot I have not been able to get it to work with is the second CPU slot that steals x8 from the first slot when populated. It must be something to do with the bifurcation.

It will sort of work, but don't expect it to work perfectly. With a lot of technical knowledge and a kernel mod, it can work well with Linux. With Windows, hotplug will not work - you will have to reboot to add devices. Shorting the header out helps, but does not make it perfect.

If you aren't the type of person who likes tinkering or requires it to "just work" then buy the Gigabyte Z390 motherboard with inbuilt Titan Ridge, or a board that officially supports this add-in card.

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Posted by: itsage

@ed_co You will have to try it out. All of us came in expecting the worst because our systems are non-certified Thunderbolt 3 configurations. It won't be OOTB-easy but the likelihood it will work is high.

When you say it is not OOTB easy is beacuse of the way Windows is handling it, right? I mean, in macOS will be like OOTB... I guess... remember that is a hackintosh...

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Posted by: karatekid430

The only slot I have not been able to get it to work with is the second CPU slot that steals x8 from the first slot when populated. It must be something to do with the bifurcation.

It will sort of work, but don't expect it to work perfectly. With a lot of technical knowledge and a kernel mod, it can work well with Linux. With Windows, hotplug will not work - you will have to reboot to add devices. Shorting the header out helps, but does not make it perfect.

If you aren't the type of person who likes tinkering or requires it to "just work" then buy the Gigabyte Z390 motherboard with inbuilt Titan Ridge, or a board that officially supports this add-in card.

Of course I am the kind of person who doesn't mind to tinker to make it work ;), I have eGPU since a while and I have hackintosh since long time ago. I was just wondering how to proceed, and if worth it.
I mean, I have a macbook pro 15 2017 with mantiz + 1080 ti, and I have a server/nas with macOS, and wouldn't mind to use the eGPU in both of them... if could be... That's why I asked.
But I don't want to, if could be really problematic...
Don't understand why it is not supported in any motherboard, as it doesn't sound it is really complicated to do it, which just a 5 pin connector... it is nuts...

ReplyQuote
(@deny_winarto)

Thanks for sharing this @itsage! This is what i've been looking for, its ideal for swapping
egpu between desktop and laptop easily, while keeping the desktop size minimum.

I'm attempting to do the same with z390 based cpu that wont bottleneck my mini rtx 2060, possibly i5-9400 or higher, so i was wondering which z390 mini-itx board could work with your setup? I'm thinking asrock z390 phantom gaming itx.. would it work?
This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: Deny Winarto

Thanks for sharing this @itsage! This is what i’ve been looking for, its ideal for swapping
egpu between desktop and laptop easily, while keeping the desktop size minimum.

I’m attempting to do the same with z390 based cpu that wont bottleneck my mini rtx 2060, possibly i5-9400 or higher, so i was wondering which z390 mini-itx board could work with your setup? I’m thinking asrock z390 phantom gaming itx.. would it work?

The ASRock Z390 Phantom ITX has an onboard Thunderbolt 3 controller and one TB3 port. It is through a x2 PCIe connection however. I’m keeping an eye out for new motherboards with better Thunderbolt 3 implementation.

ReplyQuote
exaudium
(@exaudium)

Hi @itsage
I am planning a similar build to this, with a 2400G and a B450 MB and using either a Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge.
The catch is I want this to be a Hackintosh. I saw that you managed to get this working on a 5,1 which proves the macOS support (ish). 
Could you tell me how I might go about getting this working on an AMD Hackintosh? Which TB controller should I use? Is this even possible?
FYI, I will be using the card to connect to a Focusrite Clarett Audio Interface which I believe using a TB1 connection. Does this change how I set it up or what AIC I use?
I'd really appreciate any help!
Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@exaudium You definitely need the GC-TITAN-RIDGE. It has a firmware that allows Thunderbolt 3 on non-supported system. The older GC-ALPINE-RIDGE AIC won’t work without BIOS hacking. I haven’t tried this setup on Hackintosh to comment whether that may work.

Given the multiple workarounds and additional hardware cost to connect your Thunderbolt 1 audio interface, I would suggest going with a Mac mini instead. Either a 2012 quad-core or 2018 i3 would make a good choice.

ReplyQuote
exaudium
(@exaudium)

Posted by: itsage

@exaudium You definitely need the GC-TITAN-RIDGE. It has a firmware that allows Thunderbolt 3 on non-supported system. The older GC-ALPINE-RIDGE AIC won't work without BIOS hacking. I haven't tried this setup on Hackintosh to comment whether that may work.

Given the multiple workarounds and additional hardware cost to connect your Thunderbolt 1 audio interface, I would suggest going with a Mac mini instead. Either a 2012 quad-core or 2018 i3 would make a good choice.

Thanks for your reply. I kind of have my heart set on DIY build. The affordability of an AMD build is very appealing, and I'm sure an Intel based system would be far easier to set this up. 

If anyone has had any success with a Titan Ridge on an AMD Hackintosh please let me know!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

Haha, I’m actually about to start doing an amd hackintosh build and need thunderbolt to work with my Thunderbolt Display and UA Apollo.  Already ordered the threadripper.  Now I’m kind of scared of not being able to get it to work.  But I have a feeling it is possible, a guy used the titan ridge on a Mac Pro skylake build over on tonymac.  But the skylake is 2 grand.  Which is absurd to me.  I’ll let you guys know when I start ordering everything.  The designare x399 actually has a tbh header apparently.   It’s a bit expensive but having a header might help with hot swap/wake from sleep.

This post was modified 7 months ago

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200
Titan ridge thunderbolt AIC

ReplyQuote
exaudium
(@exaudium)

Posted by: Steven Wicks

Haha, I’m actually about to start doing an amd hackintosh build and need thunderbolt to work with my Thunderbolt Display and UA Apollo.  Already ordered the threadripper.  Now I’m kind of scared of not being able to get it to work.  But I have a feeling it is possible, a guy used the titan ridge on a Mac Pro skylake build over on tonymac.  But the skylake is 2 grand.  Which is absurd to me.  I’ll let you guys know when I start ordering everything.  The designare x399 actually has a tbh header apparently.   It’s a bit expensive but having a header might help with hot swap/wake from sleep.

Hi Steven,
I'd love to know what the outcome of this build is. I've been searching for an answer on an AMD hackintosh with TB3 on an Alpine ridge for ages, and would love to know whether you manage to get this to work. I've been trying to spec an Intel based system but even that either with native TB3 or using an AIC seems to present challenges. 
As far as I'm aware, the inclusion of the TB header on the x399 is going to make things way easier with Threadripper. 
Do you reckon the same steps would be applicable on a 2400G or 2600?

ReplyQuote
emendia
(@emendia)

@itsage

Hello,
I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with MB B450 AORUS M (rev. 1.0). I am trying to figure out if I add Gigabyte GC-TITAN RIDGE TB3 PCI card will be work! I know that my MB doesn't have TB Header but I see that you also did not use it.
Thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@emendia You will have to give it a shot and let us know if the GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC works with your motherboard. I’ve tried successfully with X399 and B350 motherboards but they are all ASRock.

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @steven_wicks

any update on this? Hackintosh meets threadripper and GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC card.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

FYI: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp

AMD x570 chipset carring a TB3 controller, can't find tho which one Asrock used, if Titan/Alpine Ridge!
Obviously these kind of specs do not appear on the board datasheet, as usual!!

Edit: Luckily Asrock didn't cheap out, it carry on a JHL7540: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2020837-1-1.html

This post was modified 4 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@wimpzilla Thank you for the link. It’s good to see the new ASRock X570 Phantom ITX motherboard uses Titan Ridge controller with 4 PCIe lanes. Their Intel Z390 Phantom ITX motherboard was using Alpine Ridge with 2 PCIe lanes. I was looking into replacing the current motherboard in this InWin Chopin but the way it is, Thunderbolt 3 connection is through the CPU attached PCIe slot.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@wimpzilla

Why does it say "connects up to 3 Thunderbolt™ 3 devices". A Thunderbolt controller should be able to connect 6 devices to a single port. #417

It has a DisplayPort 1.4 Input which probably goes to the Thunderbolt controller, which means the controller must be Titan Ridge since Alpine Ridge only supports DisplayPort 1.2. But it says the max resolution is only 4096x2160 @ 60Hz which might mean only DisplayPort 1.2 is supported. It's contradictory. DisplayPort 1.4 should be able to support 5K 60Hz 8bpc. 4K is the limit if you want 10bpc and don't support DSC.

It only has one input, so you can't get full capability from dual link DisplayPort 1.2 Thunderbolt 3 displays like the LG UltraFine 5K. But there's a note that says "DisplayPort 1.4 Input is used to connect a Type-C Monitor" which might exclude Thunderbolt displays altogether unless they equate Type-C with Thunderbolt which is wrong.

How many displays does a "Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega Series Graphics in Ryzen Series APU" support? If the APU can do two DisplayPort signals that go to the Thunderbolt controller then an LG UltraFine 5K could by fully utilized. The DisplayPort Input would need to be switched with one of those when it's connected.

The HDMI 2.0 port can only come from the APU.

The manual doesn't mention Thunderbolt at all. It only mentions "1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C Port (Supports ESD Protection)"

These specs are poorly written.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@itsage
I agree with you, i'm quite happy to hear that Asrock did the job right, offering the best possible solution.
Also in your case it doesn't matter, you already get the best solution, if you keep using the 2400G and its Vega gpu.
You could upgrade to this board, plug in the 2400G and the AIC in the cpu pci-e slot, as you are running now.
You can then achieve to get 2xTB3 controller with direct connection to the cpu and a Vega gpu for the basic computer graphic output. 😎 :mrgreen: 

@joevt
Dunno why the vendor only listed a 3 device daisy chain, either it's a mistake, as usual.
Either it simply mean that the vrm handling the TB3 power delivery was cut in half and can't support 6 daisy chained devices, it's still a uATX board with space constraint.

About the video output you are right, i think a 2400G can only support up to 2 monitors, so the cpu can output HDMI and DP signal together. 
But tbh i dunno, i mean it totally depend if the mb manufacturer want to add APU support and route the DP with a mux for both TB3 and mb connector use.
APU products are not the 1st thing manufacturers implement on high end boards, simply because the board itself cost much more than a bare 2400G.
I also believe the max resolution supported by the APU is 4K, with only one DP 1.2 going out of the mb, this is the mainstream atm for mb supporting APU's.
However if i believe the Techpowerup article about the 2400G: "Its display controllers support 4K Ultra HD and 5K displays through DisplayPort 1.4."
So again it depend if the manufacturers made the hassle to route the native DP 1.4 from the cpu to the TB, because as said previously, the standard mb output seems to be DP 1.2.

Manuals nowadays are generally a bad joke, it's poorly written, manufacturers wrote into less over time, until it become useless to the customers that forget it even exist.
I bought a Sharp minidisc player lately from 1998.jpg, it works as new, the service manual include full disassembly procedure AND full board schematics.

This post was modified 4 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
tristank
(@tristank)

Just a quick note that the titan ridge aic doesnt work on a Asus X470 Prime. I followed the instructions and shorted the header without success. The devices will get recognized but are not functional. I tested it with a Solo10G 10GBASE-T adapter and the card is unable to operate.

This post was modified 3 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@tristank Thank you for the report. Unfortunately these are non-supported configurations and we all gotta try to see whether a particular setup would work. Both of my AMD motherboards are ASRock, not sure if that makes a difference.

ReplyQuote
tristank
(@tristank)

@itsage

I tinkered with it some more and it seems that the TB3 AIC is just supported when connect to the CPU PCIe lanes (x8 Slot) not through the Chipset lanes. This is a bummer on a full blown ATX like the Prime X470 board because of the waste of 4x lanes in the 8x configuration. I guess I'll stick to a ASRock X570 Tachi or X570 Creator then, but these are so much more expensive.

This post was modified 3 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@steven_wicks)

@exaudium I imagine they would, here’s an update, I got the build working, even got macOS working pretty well on it.  For a while I had my UA Apollo and satellite working, but I couldn’t get my Thunderbolt Display to turn on so I tried the alpine ridge and the display started working.  Well, fast forward a month and I couldn’t boot into windows cause somehow the boot manager ended up on another drive that I formatted.  So I got windows reinstalled but now I can’t seem to get windows to see the universal audio gear.  I have both the alpine ridge and the titan ridge installed.  Should try to swap the cards in different slots.  My gigabyte designare bios doesn’t have any settings for thunderbolt, read elsewhere that people found a force power option on auros boards.  So I’d say see if the mobo you buy has a thunderbolt option in the bios.  There is a list of officially supported boards.  I didn’t buy one thinking that the titan would work on it’s own.  And it did before.  Dunno why it’s not working now, any suggestions are welcomed.  

@esatamacmodular Got macOS working, still struggling with thunderbolt though, had it working for a bit a month ago but now it’s not showing up in Windows 

This post was modified 1 month ago

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte designare ex
MSI Radeon RX580
64 gig G Skillz 3200
Titan ridge thunderbolt AIC

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2